What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders furious about GWS grant

Perth Red

Post Whore
can't find the detials but all the reports are saying a change "from the current game every 3 year deal" which suggests that there is an agreement. It is a bit off topic but still has a link in terms of spending taxpayers money on sporting events or things the community actually needs.

I think we can all quote a raft of things that need to be addressed at state level including state of hospitals, social housing, etc etc yet we are not outraged that our State Govt splurges cash on all sorts of events. WA infrastructure is buckling under the weight of expodential growth yet our Govt throws $millions of every year on a firwework show for Australia day, go figure. I am always bemused by the "it is worth $XXXX amount of to the state. Would love to know how they come up with the wooly figures of value to the community for these things.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Back to the Op I see Raiders/NRL have three options:

1. Ask Wagga council for similiar
2. Walk away from Wagga in disgust and invest their time elsewhere that is more appreciative
3. Continue to service the area and use this as propoganda to get the locals onside even more and AFL offside.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
:D
Back to the Op I see Raiders/NRL have three options:

1. Ask Wagga council for similiar
2. Walk away from Wagga in disgust and invest their time elsewhere that is more appreciative
3. Continue to service the area and use this as propoganda to get the locals onside even more and AFL offside.

This one. Raiders should lock in an annual trial there without council grants and continue its investment in the rugby league community in wagga

I find the Canberra/sydney giants situation and the money they got even more disgusting. If that were my local council pumping the kind of money we see the afl getting regularly i would be onto my local member like a rash. thank god for wyong council then

Raider_69

Post Whore
I dont think the raiders will walk away
its not really our style to abandon areas like that, we do a lot of work there and im sure we will continue.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Apparently yes

State of Origin rugby league in Queensland amid Victoria's audacious $12.5 million push to stage more interstate matches in Melbourne.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...-victorian-heist/story-e6frepbx-1226359369169

Unforgiven my honest answer would be that yes AFL should really be doing it for free if it is strategically important for the AFL to do so. However in this day and age of sports business I am not surprised they have sought funds to go to Wagga over anyone of a dozen other regional areas they could have chosen, Wagga council feel that having a preseason game and some AFL carnivals during the year will benefit the community and in order to guarantee that Wagga is the region it happens in rather than somewhere else they are willing to pay to snare these events.
Local councils do this all the time for a wide range of events so I am bemused by the outrage shown, and no I still don't see it any different when it comes down to it. Taxpayers money could be spent on a wide range of community benefitting areas wether it be at national, state or local level rather than spending it on SOO, C'Wealth games, NRL/AFL games or other sports related events. Govt's seem to place value on hosting these events and are willing to forgo public spending in other areas to get them. That being the case I have no problem with RL holding out its hand to get a share of the spoils.
that is not for the current game

idiot

Springs

First Grade
Because you don't agree with me.

Damn it I wish they had spell check on here.

Of course I don't agree with you. What you said was f**king ridiculous.

Comparing the Victorian government to a country council. Are you kidding?

gUt

Coach
Talk about a blown chance. Here we had GWS and the AFL acting like the cold-blooded corporations we all know they truly are, a golden opportunity to really put some PR pressure on them, and we blow it. Rather than simply pointing out that Rugby League has been servicing the area for free for decades, Gallop and Furner come out and attack the council and threaten that we'll be wanting money now too. I know tempers must have been running hot (I know my blood was boiling when I read about it), but these are proffessionals who should have done better with this PR opportunity. The Raiders and the NRL have come off sounding petty and bitter.

This is worth repeating and it's 100% right. NRL really don't know how to encourage media support.

Skcusy Bgur

Juniors
Wagga sees where the future lies.

The rest of your diatribe is pointless.

If you don't accept it, then good. Let the butthurt flow through you.

Where would you like the condolences and tissues to be sent to?

docbrown

Coach
Wagga sees where the future lies.

The rest of your diatribe is pointless.

If you don't accept it, then good. Let the butthurt flow through you.

Where would you like the condolences and tissues to be sent to?

Don't let the door hit your arse on the way out when you kill yourself committing autoerotic asphyixation you trolling f**kwit! :lol:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Vic Govt want to give us $2.5mill a year for one game, bite their fricking hand off! That money could be pumped into Jnr RL in Victoria and by the end of the 5 years deal we would see massive increase in kids playing the game in Vic. Or is that unethical of the NRL?

docbrown

Coach
Vic Govt want to give us $2.5mill a year for one game, bite their fricking hand off! That money could be pumped into Jnr RL in Victoria and by the end of the 5 years deal we would see massive increase in kids playing the game in Vic. Or is that unethical of the NRL?

Comparing the entire Victorian Government to Wagga City Council is lame.

Comparing State of Origin to a stupid f**king fumbleball preseason game with the shittiest AFL team ever conceived and assembled is lame.

Dresden Dan

Juniors
Andrew Demetriou backs Ali Fahour in fracas probe
Mark Robinson
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/andr...-1226364946925

Now chief executive at Australia Post, he is pouring more money into the game through a community inclusion partnership, funding Nic Naitanui, Bachar Houli, Harry O'Brien and others working as AFL multicultural ambassadors.

Are there any current NRL, FFA or ARU players working as multicultural ambassadors and are they being funded by Australia Post?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Comparing the entire Victorian Government to Wagga City Council is lame.

Comparing State of Origin to a stupid f**king fumbleball preseason game with the shittiest AFL team ever conceived and assembled is lame.

Comparing $2.5million and $100k is lame but the point stands, that money could be spent on a children's hospital or something so would the nrl be unethical if they accepted it?

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Are there any current NRL, FFA or ARU players working as multicultural ambassadors and are they being funded by Australia Post?

Why would those three sports need to do that, people from all over the joint play the games already and have for a long time, they don't need to try and convert people from other countries like the vFL is trying.

Perth Red

Post Whore
whoosh, its all part of their strategic plan to market AFL as "The Australian game", get the refugees and immigrants fresh off the plane/boat and convince them that to be fair dinkum Aussie you have to go for the Swans, Bombers or Eagles etc. and own at least one Sherin ball.

Getting Australia Post to pay for it is yet another good business deal.

But hey, it is probably unethical of them right?

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
whoosh, its all part of their strategic plan to market AFL as "The Australian game", get the refugees and immigrants fresh off the plane/boat and convince them that to be fair dinkum Aussie you have to go for the Swans, Bombers or Eagles etc. and own at least one Sherin ball.

Getting Australia Post to pay for it is yet another good business deal.

But hey, it is probably unethical of them right?

Couldn't give a f**k what they do, you might, but I don't.

docbrown

Coach

The fact that the AFL believes that they know what quantitatively makes a real "Australian" is evidence enough of their arrogance.

Resistance is useless!
Assimilate or die!

:lol:

Latest posts