What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders game.

Old Timer

Coach
I was quite surprised how small the Molo bros actually are close up.

In fact other than Woods & Kerr are pack is quite small.

Occasionally we get an edge into a hole but it is very rare for us to have a forward make a barnstorming run through the opposition pack and into their backfield and us have a half or FB loom up in support.

Dragon David

First Grade
I was quite surprised how small the Molo bros actually are close up.

In fact other than Woods & Kerr are pack is quite small.

Occasionally we get an edge into a hole but it is very rare for us to have a forward make a barnstorming run through the opposition pack and into their backfield and us have a half or FB loom up in support.
The Molo bros might not be big fellas OT but they have big tickers. I do know what you mean though and I am so very surprised that we don't have more robust, bigger and good islander guys in our squad. G Burgess is big but nowhere near as tough as he used to be.

The big guys are needed to help us get out of our own red zone and not get pushed back like what we cop in many games meaning Hunt/Amone needing to boot the hell out of the ball so that we gain field position in the oppositions area after 4-5 tackles.

I'd like to see our forwards break the defensive line consistently and offload to our faster guys to set up tries. Can only dream.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Surely any doubts about Ben Hunt's game management are put to bed. He won us the game in the last 10 seconds with his actions. We can argue the ethics of those actions, but he isn't the 1st and won't be the last to exploit a rule or test the ref. It would have taken alot of balls to do it.
No argument to be had. Ben Hunt was well within the rules and was square at marker. That said, I was slightly worried that the ref might forget himself and fabricate a reason to penalise. Turns out that sanity prevailed and the right team won.

This Year?

Immortal
No argument to be had. Ben Hunt was well within the rules and was square at marker. That said, I was slightly worried that the ref might forget himself and fabricate a reason to penalise. Turns out that sanity prevailed and the right team won.
Absolutely he was square at marker. I've seen lots of posts claiming he wasn't, followed by the pictures that show otherwise. IMO he could been penalised for holding down or flopping, but he was extremely lucky with the ref's discretion.
The Raiders had many chances to win the game, but blew them just like we blew our chances to incease the margin.
I thought Ramsey, Sims and Lawrie had great games plus Hunt as usual.
Better side won albiet with lady luck on our side.
If Ricky isn't so Maryesque with his bench and Wighton had a better day it could have been them singing their team song instead of us.

justadragon

Bench
“Two failed short line drop-outs cost themselves 6 points. Dropped ball on the first tackle from scrum wins on two occasions. Failed to find touch with penalty kick for touch. Hard for Raider fans to feel unlucky. They beat themselves,” Gould tweeted.

That is what Gus Gould Tweeted after the game, best comment he has made in years !!!!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Absolutely he was square at marker. I've seen lots of posts claiming he wasn't, followed by the pictures that show otherwise. IMO he could been penalised for holding down or flopping, but he was extremely lucky with the ref's discretion.
The Raiders had many chances to win the game, but blew them just like we blew our chances to incease the margin.
I thought Ramsey, Sims and Lawrie had great games plus Hunt as usual.
Better side won albiet with lady luck on our side.
If Ricky isn't so Maryesque with his bench and Wighton had a better day it could have been them singing their team song instead of us.
Penalising for holding down was extremely unlikely. It's six again 9 times out of 10 or they just let it go.

In the opening minutes of the match Woolford came in with a second flop but no one mentions that. I was calling for six again but alas, the ref didn't hear a word I said.

Black Panther

Juniors
Blocker Lawrie has been huge over the last couple of games.

Running like a steam train and hitting hard in defense.

Some Muppet supporter from the panfers came on here a few weeks back after he scored his first try and called him a pillow (I relentlessly defended him i might add).

Perhaps he read that post and it has fired him up?

Whatever it is, it's great to see him reaching his potential.

He's been a big part if our last two victories...
He is a Pillow, I stand by my comment. He had a few Ok games against mediocre opponents and he should be playing Origin now..
What he needs to do is stand up against some quality teams..

qld redvee

Juniors
The Molo bros might not be big fellas OT but they have big tickers. I do know what you mean though and I am so very surprised that we don't have more robust, bigger and good islander guys in our squad. G Burgess is big but nowhere near as tough as he used to be.

The big guys are needed to help us get out of our own red zone and not get pushed back like what we cop in many games meaning Hunt/Amone needing to boot the hell out of the ball so that we gain field position in the oppositions area after 4-5 tackles.

I'd like to see our forwards break the defensive line consistently and offload to our faster guys to set up tries. Can only dream.
DD
we really do need some size and mobility on the bench so we dont go backwards when JDB blocka go off.
mcguire would have been handy to have yesterday.
I dont know why Kerr has fallen out of favour so badly when last year he was the mainstay of the pack . his go forward off the bench is what we need ... And next year without simms / mcguire / we really do need to replace like for like ( or better)

carltonsouth79

First Grade
DD
we really do need some size and mobility on the bench so we dont go backwards when JDB blocka go off.
I dont know why Kerr has fallen out of favour so badly when last year he was the mainstay of the pack . his go forward off the bench is what we need ... And next year without simms / mcguire / we really do need to replace like for like ( or better)
Agree with that sentiment. Our bench does seem to be less impactful than many. Woods is a big body and can offload, Mbye a cover and rest for Macca, Mollo brothers have been fairly pedestrian for mine the last few games. I’d like to see Kerr and Hunt given a run from the bench. Certainly for 2023 some size in the pack would not go amiss

True_Believer

Juniors
f**k the Raiders
f**k Stewart
f**k the whinging whining press

The Raiders had their chances and blew them despite them getting more than their fair share of calls and leniency from the ref and bunker

Like or dislike Hook at least he has our side playing tough and not the sooky la la, lay down shit tactics other teams employ

Bank the 2 points and march onwards and upwards.

Correct OT. There were a few times we could have stayed down and tried for a penalty - Suli after scoring the try and there was a head knock to Ramsay that could have drawn a penalty to help us get out of our half. I think Rav copped a couple to the head during the game as well but we got up every time and played on. None of the bullshit. Not to mention Lomax got pinged twice for a one on one steal just as the ref called held. We could have blown up about those as well but just kept going.

Was interesting to see the mentality of other players/teams after the game with the Cheese on the Matty Johns show suggesting the Raiders could have just faked a poor play the ball and milked a penalty. It's obvious that's how some of the other teams are being coached.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
Correct OT. There were a few times we could have stayed down and tried for a penalty - Suli after scoring the try and there was a head knock to Ramsay that could have drawn a penalty to help us get out of our half. I think Rav copped a couple to the head during the game as well but we got up every time and played on. None of the bullshit. Not to mention Lomax got pinged twice for a one on one steal just as the ref called held. We could have blown up about those as well but just kept going.

Was interesting to see the mentality of other players/teams after the game with the Cheese on the Matty Johns show suggesting the Raiders could have just faked a poor play the ball and milked a penalty. It's obvious that's how some of the other teams are being coached.
Definitely how they are coached at the Storm - play the ref, play the rules, play the bunker, play the media. Cheats never prosper in the end…2008

SEAT 1A

Bench
The lads backed up last week and got two points in the bag in a game that could have gone either way.

Couldn't agree more with Gough, who wouldn't want to get off the ground after eighty minutes in a cyclone and I reckon the only worse conditions was in the girls game this year down at WIN.

Regarding the six again, I couldn't give a stuff anymore. The forty twenty rule and the corner post rule were great changes, just go back to penalising the infringement.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
DD
Kerr made mistakes and always at the worst moment. We started winning once he, Burns and the ex Manly guy started being overlooked.

George Sancti

Juniors
DD
I have been wondering the same qld redvee regarding Kerr. Perhaps Griffin is sending him a message. Play to your potential or languish in the seconds.