What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders Post Match Reaction

Iafeta

Referee
Micistm said:
Disappointed tbh, Warriors did not deserve the 2 pts from the effort. Canberra were hungrier and got the deserved win.
BUT- I personally stopped watching after 3/4 of the first half, and only went back to it now and again...as one of my biggest pet peeves in RL are sub standard refs that cannot keep a decent 10m. It was awful, and ruined the game for me with both sides attack stifled. And with so much at stack it's frustrating. Hopefully we don't see that guy again. It may sound like sour grapes, but I just cannot stand it when sides are allowed to be off side the whole game-ours included.

You are kidding. It was abundantly clear at the game he was back 12-13m from the ruck, he allowed teams to move up about a metre in front of them, that was it.

I thought it was good refereeing of the 10m rule.

ozbash

Referee
In fact, in the Premier League game (where the Lions were smashed, they were down 30- with 10 to go) the only players to really impress were Upu Poaching and Constantine Mika. When they came on, they made the world of difference and sparked the Lions attack. They broke through tackles, got away offloads. There were some other notable features, Scotty Jones has a very good tackle technique but hands like the ball is a cake of soap, Sonny Fai is a strong boy with good ball skills, but missed a couple of lazy tackles close to the line, one which led directly to their first or second try... Leeson Ah Mau is a good runner, but jersey grabbed a couple of times in D, and Lance Hohaia simply didn't get close to stepping up to the mark. From what I saw, the hype in Miguel Start is extremely over the top, he looked a slow, cumbersome Steve Matai look-a-like, certainly not the Steve Renouf clone he was touted by some as being. Louis Anderson was real tough on D, but he also made a couple of momentually foolish decisions with ball in hand to try million to one chance grubbers and a couple of dodgey passes. Aside from Mika and Poaching who were by far and away the best players, the final spark came from a chip and chase from Corey Lawrie, believe it or not. Looks a far better hooker than he is a lock.

All in all, the Lions were extremely disappointing, and a lot of those boys are a long long way off first grade material IMO. But, I think overall these inequities will change in the future for us with U20s and Premier League giving these guys the real step up in class they need. Michael Dobson and Marshall Chalk were all over the Lions all night, Dobson was far, far superior to Lance Hohaia and Steve Buckingham in every single way he controlled the play last night. Lance has a long way to go until he's even considered a first grade halfback, he's a hooker fo shore.

Its a shame that that was the game you had to see the lions in action.
Lately they have been playing very well and have beaten some top teams.

We have put all the lions home games onto dvd so if you want to see some good footy and get a better indication of where the game is heading here, sing out.

BTW, dobson is a very good player.

Blaze

Juniors
first time we have lost under Maxwell as well guys.

I think we were like 5-0 with him in charge.

Rich102

Staff member
The referee wasn't to blame; he ruled the same for both sides.
One thing that concerns me is at what stage was Wade ruled out? Was is a case of taking the Raiders too lightly and saying "we've got this in the bag, give him another week to come right"? In which case it backfired, big time!

Skinner

Coach
Rich102 said:
One thing that concerns me is at what stage was Wade ruled out? Was is a case of taking the Raiders too lightly and saying "we've got this in the bag, give him another week to come right"? In which case it backfired, big time!

I believe that, that, was the case 100%......bloody costly.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Things didn't look good from the start. What was the go with trying to go wide before getting the forwards going? That was an old Warriors mistake.

On the plus side, we were rubbish and still managed to post 24 points, and without McKinnon. It does say a lot though that our most useful kick near the line was put in by Todd Byrne.

Iafeta

Referee
Rich102 said:

What an ordinary mistake huh? Although, to be fair Byrne defended very well and was very safe, and we didn't really promote many line break second phase options where Wade is deadly.

Sam_the_man

First Grade
Thierry Henry said:
LeagueUnlimited.com Player of the Match
3 Points: Todd Carney
2 Points: Brett Kelly
1 Point: Todd Byrne

wtf

Ian Ritchie watching a different game from the rest of us as usual

Interesting take on things.

Rovelli

Bench
Just watched the replay of the game...Crockett took a ball over the dead-ball line that looked overweighted.

Koopu rushed out of the line and Logan went right through.

Yuck.

Warriors didn't play good enought to win, but we still seem to get the short end of the stick when it comes to some of the calls.
The obstruction leading to the try, yes it looked like Ropati took the tackle but what are you going to do when a large guy like that is coming at you? Really needs to be looked at by the NRL as a different Video Ref would of called it back a few weeks back.

The ball being punched out again and we blamed for losing it!
Cost us against the Roosters, cost us again as Raiders had 5-6 sets of six nearly back to back, if penalty given, Warriors in the Raider 30m. May not of scored a try with our poor choices that close to the line, but would of kept the Raiders down that end, not down Raiders end!

I'm a fan of Video ref ruling on those decision, as they do turn games, and we see the replay once or twice then go to the scrum, which isn't even set, and then another 30 sec till ball goes in!
If they want that area of the game tidied up then the video ref should be able to say "hey mate, it was punched out!" ref can turn it to a penalty, quicker than it probably gets done now!

3 trys on Croketts side, I think the charge must have some affect on him! and Canberra exploited it.

Micistm

Bench
Rich102 said:

Oh for sure- I don't blame the Ref at all for the loss, it's just the 10m rule was awful. An earlier post mentioned the 10m rule being well reffed? Not from where I was watching, both sides were getting away with being off side and not one penalty the whole game for it. The commentary team also mentioned the total lack of the rule- often. And I can't stand games like that, regardless of who is playing. It just gets frustrating to watch.

And Resting McKinnon may well be complacency on the Warriors part- Huge mistake (And lack of Respect for Canberra) if it was. Surely they should know by now not to be taking any game lightly. Only The Sea Eagles or Storm have got the luxury of resting players due to winning well through the season.

Latest posts