What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders release Dobson, Sign N Smith

Raider_69

Post Whore
id rather be stuck with nathan smith than matt elliot...

i heard marshall chalk may be off to QLD next year. if that happens, then smith would be a decent replacement for chalk as a utility.

and the "handsome offer" is 200k over two seasons. hardly handsome, but it is the daily telecrap reporting - so what do you expect.

agreed, ill take smith over ME anyday
and if thats right about chalk, then thats an ok signing... Smith is an ideal replacement for chalk, similar styles, and im preying this signing signals the end of Ben Jones and Glenn Turner, if thats the case then ill be MUCH happier this signing then i am now

as long as he doesnt impeed the J.Thompson and J.Picker's fg careers

dubby

Bench
Like r69 said, if we release Turner, Jones and Costigan (and God forbid Chalk) Smith will be an ok signing. Another honest toiler to the pack who adds some versatility.

If we lose TLL, Picker, Plum Chalk I'll be very angry.

BrisVegas

Juniors
I take it Canberra see their long term halves pairing as Herbert & Carney? Has Herbert been getting much game time with Souths Logan? If so how does he go as an organisational half in the QLD Cup, and is he defending well in the more physical conditions? They could be a very sharp side in '09-'10:

1. Bronx Goodwin
2. Phil Graham
3. Joel Monaghan
4. Justin Carney
5. _______
6. Todd Carney
7. Marc Herbert
9. Stuart Flannagan
13. Alan Tounge

14. Campese

And as a bit of an aside, how long is the try scoring machine Justin Carney signed for? The Raiders should do there best to sign him up long term, leave it too long and they will get stuck into a bidding war for him. Surely he should move to the QLD Cup to prepare for the NRL, not much use in him swatting through the U20's for the rest of the season.

Timbo

Staff member
This is painful.

We signed one crap player and released one handy one outright.

Jesus management sh*ts me.

(KW)

Juniors
BV
Carney and Herbert have long been earmarked as the future Raiders halves pairing. Herbert has been injured most of this season unfortunately.
J Carney played for souths logan on the weekend. They defeated high flying Ipswich.
KW

ps. Who is this Spike charachter and why didnt his mother terminate??

dubby

Bench
BV
Carney and Herbert have long been earmarked as the future Raiders halves pairing. Herbert has been injured most of this season unfortunately.
J Carney played for souths logan on the weekend. They defeated high flying Ipswich.
KW

ps. Who is this Spike charachter and why didnt his mother terminate??

I thought Spike was that evil Gremlin from those 80s films....sounds like he got wet again.

badav

Bench
but i dont know where to begin with the signing of nathen smith... why canberra? why?

Canberra make heaps of ordinary signings. not to mention how much they pay for them. Where to start

350 a year for craig frawley
220 a year for tom learoyd lars

the list gets longer and longer

Raider Azz

Bench
LOL the figures you pulled out of nowhere. We signed Frawley for 250 a year, and most people thought at the time he would be worth it. And TLL would be on nowhere near that, his contract was heavily based on how many games he plays and if he is selected for rep teams.

Some people really do have no clue.

Raider_69

Post Whore
On his current contract TLL will earn 225k if he plays most the year in FG and makes rep teams including SOO... Since he doesnt play near a full season and hasnt looked like making a rep team, more then likely he is closer to the 150k mark

Frawley you're right on, we spent too much but how we're we to know he was soft as f**king sh*t?
Smith again looks like we've paid overs for... god knows why

keeney

First Grade
In all fairness, TLL looked a world beater. I don't watch many Raiders games but is he capable of fulfilling his promise still? I was thoroughly impressed with him a few years ago.

keeney

First Grade
It's a shame, has he taken the field this year? How many times last year? Does he still look promising when he does?

Lime_Green

Juniors
He played last week, for the first time this year. He went okay, nothing special.

He's been shifted to the front row to get his hands on the ball more, apparently.

I'm not a fan of the move. He's more dangerous out wide IMO.

julian87

Juniors
TLL is no longer viable as a secolnd rower IMO. The back row is all abut mobility and even though TLL runs like the wind, his lateral movement isn't flash because he is so big. Most of thse big second rowers have made the switch to the front row, or at least play between the two positions. Meyers, Mason and Myles spring to mind.

Macko8

Juniors
TLL just needs gametime...if he can get a few games under his belt both we and him will be laughing.

im all for the move of shifting him to the front row,knows how the bend the opposition line and would be dangerous from 10 metres out.

renouf

Juniors
Why didn't Souths make an offer to Dobson? Hes a good little halfback and they certainly need one