What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders release Dobson, Sign N Smith

skeepe

Immortal
:lol:

So the Telegraph is gospel now is it? Funny I didn't hear you Knights supporters saying that last year when all those Brian Smith stories were running...

mxlegend99

Referee
over 2 years you muppet = 100K a season
It's $200k a season over 3 years.

Panthers hunt Fitzgibbon
By Josh Massoud | May 01, 2008 12:00am

PENRITH have offered Craig Fitzgibbon a chance to extend his career as the Roosters skipper continues to ponder retirement.
Despite recapturing his sparkling form of yesteryear in 2008, the veteran forward is far from assured of playing at Bondi next season.

With the Roosters believed to be steering Fitzgibbon toward a post-football career path, their 2003 grand final conquerors have emerged as a contender for his signature.

Penrith yesterday lost valuable lock forward Nathan Smith to Canberra, and view the 30-year-old as a more than capable replacement.

Panthers coach Matt Elliott said management had discussed Fitzgibbon as a recruit for 2009, with the club's forward stocks to be further depleted by the departure of senior prop Tony Puletua to St Helens.

"Craig is a player that has appeal to us - for sure," Elliott said. "He's playing outstanding footy at the moment and his leadership would be a big thing for us."

Elliott, however, appreciates Fitzgibbon's ties to the Roosters and knows the Country Origin rep's first preference is see out his career there.

Penrith officials have made contact with Fitzgibbon's agent, David Riolo, who last night reported interest from seven clubs.

"But at this stage Craig doesn't even know if he will be playing next year," Riolo said. "It's something we'll come to when he makes that decision. It's understandable that Penrith would be interested - Fitzy is a statesman-like player."

The Daily Telegraph, however, understands that Fitzgibbon is keen to soldier on.

Over the first seven weeks of the season he has arguably been the form member of a Roosters pack that includes blue-chip stars Mark O'Meley, Willie Mason, Nate Myles and Anthony Tupou.

Smith has provided equally good value for the Panthers since his arrival at the foot of the mountains last year. He has not missed a game and won the club's 2007 best and fairest award.

But although Elliott launched a personal bid to keep him, the ACT junior could not resist a three-year deal worth more than $200,000 a season to rejoin Canberra. It is understood the Panthers only offered about $150,000 a season.

Smith's arrival at the Raiders is expected to cover for the loss of Maroons enforcer Neville Costigan, who is set to link with Gold Coast.

Canberra have also agreed to release back-up half Michael Dobson to either Wigan or Hull KR. The 21-year-old will be free to leave after this weekend's game against the Warriors.

In other contract news, Dragons winger Jason Nightingale yesterday celebrated his selection in the New Zealand squad for next Friday's Centenary Test by re-signing with St George Illawarra for a further three years.

Titans centre Josh Graham has also agreed to a further two-year deal.

Johns Magic

Referee
"a three-year deal worth more than $200,000 a season to rejoin Canberra"

Deary me Azz.

Condolensces mate.

Johns Magic

Referee
:lol:

So the Telegraph is gospel now is it? Funny I didn't hear you Knights supporters saying that last year when all those Brian Smith stories were running...

Their opinion of Brian Smith is a lot different than their factual reporting of Nathan Smith's contract size. No agendas behind contracts.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Whilst i dont doubt smith is being paid overs, but exactly how is that a factual report on his contract?
have the telecrap seen it? has a statement been made by the club or player or manager? If not then its purely speculation or based on a source, which could or could not be right...

JM, you need to learn a thing or two about what constitutes factual reporting.
And here's a tip, the telegraph does very little of it, particularly when it comes to the raiders

What's he on? f**k if i know, he could be on 300k a year for all i know, i havent seen his contract, and dare i say nor have the telegraph. If i were to guess id say around the 180k mark. But canberra have been known to pay massive overs for these type of players so who knows...

Johns Magic

Referee
They stated it as fact. Papers can't make facts like that up.

I believe the theory that Elliot was part of a bidding-war for him as well, he's always seemed like an Elliot pet.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Papers can't make facts like that up.

they can and often do, particularly in regards to contract values. That or they neglect to report certain aspects, such as TLL reported some time ago as having a 220k contract, they negelect to mention for him to obtain 220k he must pay a certain amount of FG games along with rep honours...

But im not going to convince you otherwise, and i dont really care enough to try. But to quote the telegraph as some sort of authority on the matter... laughable tbh

Johns Magic

Referee
If it's made up then they could be sued. If they'd said "it's understood that..." then yes it could easily be made up. But it was stated as fact, and hence they leave themself subject to legal action.

I doubt they'd bother lying about Nathan Smith of all players. No reason to lie, no one cares.

Johns Magic

Referee
Just give up right there

Papers make up facts all the time.

If you believe them well then Isreal Folau will be earning $500,000 next year.

I'm yet to see an article saying factually that he will earn $500,000 a year.

All the articles using that figure also use "a reported 500K" or "understood to be 500K" or "close to 2 million over four seasons".

Mal Meninga

Bench
The papers are somewhere in the ballpark.

Every year management always state they want a decent player but 'can't fit them under the cap.' I interpret that as too many sh!te players covering the 25 spots.

donkey|rope

Juniors
even if hes on 200,000$ contract, you do realize its over 3 years? so he only gets 66,666$ a season. thats less than i make ffs.

Munky

Coach
Yay!!!

Don't get me wrong Smith plays with a lot of heart and effort but is just plain crap.