What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders vs Warriors

Brimmer

Juniors
For my 2 cents....

Howell is safe at fullback which is just what you need!

Milne cannot tackle!!! I'd be swapping him for Goodwin.

All the forwards stepped up tonight which is a very encouraging sign.

Hinchcliffe owned the ruck tonight over Withers, he seems really down on form.

7 players over 100m tonight - that's a very positive sign.

Our play the balls were the quickest I've seen all year.

The defence was desperate. They took on the warriors forwards, came in quick and caused a lot of pressure. That effort is required week in, week out.

shear_joy9

Coach
Milne was one of the best on field. He made about 3 line breaks all at crucial times.

Although Withers had some handling errors, he still had a tonne of creativity over Hinchcliffe.
Did you see Hinchcliffe's pass that went completley behind the receivers? That's gotta be about the 5th time he's done that this season.

aussies1st

Staff member
Milne was good at running the ball back but his jumping left alot to be desired.
Howell was safe at the back and came into the backline when needed so I don't mind having him there for the rest of the season.

Thurling was awesome don't know how he keeps getting left out but he has to be there next week. Campo wasn't as involved as he could have been but Carney stood up.

All the forwards turned up last night , Thurling was good but his tackling technique just doesnt look right , he tends to slip off the tackled player too much , but he deserves his spot in FG , Weyman ran strong when he was on the field and Logan played his best game since his injury. What withers offers which hinchcliffe as no idea of doing is dummy half running , Withers is so much quicker out of there and his dummy half service is quite good when he hangs onto the ball.
It was a good game and well played Warriors , if we cant sneak into the finals I'll be cheering Wiki and you guys to take the title.

Sydney_Raider

Juniors
Thurling definitely has an issue with his defence and that is what has kept him out of a regular first grade spot. Thankfully he makes up for it with his enthusiasm and if he can improve his defensive technique then he will be a mainstay of our pack for many years (providing his knees stand up).

I am still not a fan of the Hinchcliffe/Withers combo and again last night I thought Withers threw some marginal passes that could of easily been called back. I would stick with Withers and use Costigan or Tongue if he needs a break. One combo I was happy with was Carney and Campo. I think Campo deliberately didn't overplay his hand last night but passed and kicked well and as always defended strongly.

I thought Howell was impressive enough at fullback and will probably be there for the rest of the year. Where this leaves Goodwin's future I am not sure although Milne is a week to week proposition. His defence is questionable to say the least although he is capable of gaining good metres on kick returns. Like many, I was calling for Kelly's head early on but he certainly redeemed himself, although like Milne, he is capable of some terrible blunders.

Last night showed the enthusiasm level that is required on a week to week basis in the NRL. Unfortunately we are not capable of producing it at the moment.

Chachi

Bench
Great comback from the boys. First time this season they've gutsed out a win against quality opposition.

Howell was very good I thought and should keep the FB spot this season. based on his PL game, Bronx should come in for Milne who is a massive concern under the high ball. I can't wait for Monaghan to return next season. He and Zilly will make a huge difference if Best and Graham can hit solid form.

Tongue was again a rock in defence and gave us a few options in attack too. Keeping the Warriors (of all teams) to 1 linebreak was outstanding.

Other than Milne our big concern is obviously at 9. Withers is taking more and more poor options and his passing has not improved. Hinchcliffe went pretty well but again his passing needs to improve - maybe thats just a combination issue more than anything?

Campo was solid and Carney kept involved for most of the game.

The highlight for me was the huge show of excitement from the boys when the final siren went. They were loving it out there and winning such a tight game after being under the pump all week may just be the start of better things for this club. Great to see Logan getting the winning try too - well done big fella!

Bay56

First Grade
Another annoying aspect regarding Withers is his tendency to dish it out to his mates when they make a mistake.

Last night, late in the game, he spilt the pill coming out of our red zone (we were making a number of mistakes at the time giving the Warriors a chance at our line).

Thurlo made a break shortly after and attempted a pass as he was going down which hit Withers on the knee as he was backing up. I had sports ears on and I'm sure I heard him yell out an almighty spray towards Thurlo.

green eyed mike

Juniors
Given that Howell performed well at fullback and Goodwin is another viable option there has anyone considered the possibility of playing Zillman at number 9? I know he isn't that big and he might struggle in defence up the middle but he has great hands and is lightening fast, he could absolutley carve up from there.

Great to see an 80 minute performance from the boys but the real test is to see if we can do it next weekend in Brisbane.

bileduct

Coach
Bay56 said:
Another annoying aspect regarding Withers is his tendency to dish it out to his mates when they make a mistake.

Bronx Goodwin was noticable in doing this during PL league last night. Particularly in one point where Jason Williams knocked on from the tap 20m out from the Lions line.

Brimmer

Juniors
bileduct said:
Bronx Goodwin was noticable in doing this during PL league last night. Particularly in one point where Jason Williams knocked on from the tap 20m out from the Lions line.

Sheesh... what does that achieve? I mean seriously folks..that has always been the concern from some of the raiders players. Not just the 'internal niggle' but some fundamental/U12 things are lacking. To their credit they played fantastic last night.

Colin Best... Something occured to me last night while watching the game. A couple of times I felt he made the wrong descision in attack. i.e coming in field when he should of been looking for his winger.

I think he will be a good centre but you can tell he has played a lot of his time at the back 3. i.e where he has been more the finisher than the creator. That part of his game will only get better but it's just an observation.

nickraider

Juniors
Well done boys. Shows a lot of character imo to come out and perform like that after last weeks debacle. Great effort. Thought everyone put in and was a good all round performance. Will have to match that effort and more to have a chance against the Broncs next week. Has given me renewed confidence though after that perfomance.

Latest posts