What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders want Carney by season's start

Mullins_y2k

Juniors
Raiders want Carney by season's start

By Brent Read and Stuart Honeysett
February 21, 2008
CANBERRA has moved to resolve the Todd Carney saga by requesting its star halfback make a decision on his future before the premiership begins next month.
Carney, who is being pursued by Penrith and the Bulldogs, has an offer on the table from the Raiders believed to be worth more than $300,000 a season. It is significantly short of what he can attract elsewhere.
The halfback has indicated he would prefer to wait until he has played some games this season before deciding where he will play next year.
But Canberra officials want the matter resolved by the middle of next month, creating a potential impasse between the club and player.
"We would like an answer before the premiership kicks off, which is in four weeks," Canberra general manager Don Furner said.
"We would just like to know. We don't want to drag it on for three months. We have a very good offer on the table."
The Raiders would be livid if they lost Carney given the amount of work they have put into the talented No7, who is expected to play representative football in coming years.
Carney has played all of his senior football in Canberra and the club stood by the 21-year-old last year when he was in danger of being jailed for driving offences, helping him turn around his life off the field.
While the Raiders are keen for Carney to resolve the situation, Panthers coach Matthew Elliott, who introduced the halfback to first grade during his time in Canberra, stressed that his club was in no hurry to force Carney's hand.
"The indications are from him that he just wants to play football and start the season," Elliott said.
"If I thought he was spinning me a line, I would certainly be hurrying him. We're not doing that."
Elliott used the situation to call on the NRL to review rules governing the player market.
The former Canberra coach said that the guidelines regarding contract negotiations placed undue pressure on players.
Under the existing set-up, which was introduced last season, players are free to negotiate with rival clubs at any time. However, their existing club has last right of refusal and rival bids must be tabled before round 13.
"Put yourself in Todd Carney's boots," Elliott said.
"He's having to consider what he's going to do in 2009 before he's kicked a ball this season. I just can't see how it can be a good thing.
"If someone can explain to me how that's the best way of handling player movement, I would love to hear it."
Elliott is a long-standing advocate for a transfer window, modelled on the approach adopted by soccer's governing body, FIFA.

P.S am I like breaking rules for posting the majority of articles??

legend

Coach
Elliott's comments would suggest to me the Panthers are in front for Carney's signature and Elliott knows this.

Carney may also be waiting to find out who is going to coach the Bulldogs next year before deciding if they are a viable option for him.

St. Brett

Juniors
Something's not adding up here, guys.
It's a fact that even I over-looked.

Don't Penrith have the biggest youth recruting program?
If so....then politely tell my why.....they need to poach other teams f**king players!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is this Matt Elliot doing this just for spite?

Something else I don't get is Todd Carney grew up locally down south all his life and what loyalty's does he have to Penrith?
Is pride not an issue anymore?
He'll be going to a team he currently despizes.

Are they that shallow when it comes to contracts?

What else have you coming through your ranks, Canberra bar from Brophy? (he's a winger right?) Who else has potential?

But then again....why bother as the other NRL teams will nick them off you anyway.
It's sort of like the stolen generation of League.

Hey, I got an idea.....somebody pitch this to your management for me for consideration, please.
Guy over in England goes by the name of Mc'Guire. Plays for The Rhino's.
Been watching this kid for a while now. Injury prone yer, but speed and skill to burn.
He's already stated he wants to try his skills in the best footy comp (NRL.)
Canberra failed in their attempts at getting that other British forward here a year or two ago.....try again with a different British player.
Do all you can to get this kid here.
You'll need a halve if thing-o goes anyway it'll work out fine.

The thing with Carney is......he's too good a player (at the provincials) and when he steps up a level and fails who is he going to fall back on?
And he will crash back to Earth when he leaves Canberra.

Just like your forward who left for The Wests Tigers and was never heard from again.
The Tiges practically retired his career (name eludes me.)

P.S. in all this I have to make mention of Alan Tongue and his loyalty to the game. Doesn't sell-out or sell his soul to the devil.
Same could be said for Menzies.
It breaks me that poor ole Petro from the Broncos has to finish his career at the Panfers.
His blood is a Bronco.
I hated seeing Woolford play for the Dragons too.
It's not right.
The hell if I know how Brent Tate can leave the Broncos and go play for the club that practically broke his neck and left him looking like a horse.

legend

Coach
I think you are referring to Ryan O'Hara who left Canberra and went to the Tigers and is lucky to be playing Premier League these days.

Brett Finch is another example. He'll be cut from the Eels at the end of this season and will be looking for his fourth club. I'd imagine the Knights may show some interest but mercenaries are often easily discarded like Finch has been with the Roosters and Eels.

At least Joel Monaghan saw the light and returned home.

ak47

Juniors
If carney signs anywhere for next year

Drop the farker into reggies

Henry should wield the axe, even the management can send him home, but leave him binded by the contract until 2009

Have a spell in the paddock and do some donuts you spoilt f**k:twisted:

bileduct

Coach
I reckon that Carney's heart is in Canberra, but that Elliott and others have been in his ear with promises of more cash and a better chance at playing rep footy.

Carney's refusal to sign a contract before the team steps onto the field, to me, is a big indicator that he will base his decision on whether or not there is a progressive improvement with the team as a whole.

Put yourself in his boots... If things go pear-shaped early on in the season, why would you sign a long-term contract with a club that is clearly going backwards and can't attract any marquee players?

I don't think we'll hear of a decision until close to the Rnd 13 deadline, and I don't think the Raiders are in a position to strongarm one out of him before then.

mxlegend99

Referee
St. Brett said:
Don't Penrith have the biggest youth recruting program?
Your point? Broncos have a massive recruitment program, yet they looked at Panthers to solve their halfback dilemmas. No team has 17 of their own juniors in first grade. They look elsewhere in positions they are weak in.

St. Brett said:
If so....then politely tell my why.....they need to poach other teams f**king players!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why single out the Panthers here? Our players get poached each year. It's rare that we sign a top quality player. 99% of the players we sign were unwanted by their former clubs. These unwanted players usually do pretty well for us though.

We have our own halves coming through though. We have Wade Graham coming through, who looks the goods. Then we have Jarrod Sammut, who is moving back into the halves. But if one or both of them fail to deliver in first grade... we're screwed.

St. Brett said:
Is this Matt Elliot doing this just for spite?
Why would this be to spite the Raiders? He wants a player which he has worked with in the past, to fill a jersey he is currently struggling to fill. He is wanted by a heap of clubs, and im sure the other clubs aren't trying to spite the Raiders either.

St. Brett said:
It breaks me that poor ole Petro from the Broncos has to finish his career at the Panfers.
His blood is a Bronco.
He wouldn't be here if the Broncos hadn't signed Joel Clinton and Peter Wallace from the Panthers.

dolphinboy

Juniors
mxlegend99 said:
Why would this be to spite the Raiders?

Because he is still the same unethical **** that stitched up Nathan Brown for Penrith whilst still coaching Canberra.

I still don't think it is a spite signing as Carney is a rep quality half and Penrith lack that. Same with the Dogs.

I have a bad feeling we are about to unearth a bigger despot than Brett Finch.

Macko8

Juniors
If carney does sign a contract with penrith,ill instantly lose all respect for him.

Everytime we than play penrith or whoever it is he goes with ill be getting some of the big gun forwards up his face.little whinging turd.

Brimmer

Juniors
I think 300,000 is a VERY good offer from Canberra. I'd be sticking to my guns with that.... If he wants more then ta-ta. We'd be sending out a very bad signal otherwise.

FFS I think he's going to be a good player but it's not as if he's really stepped up every time he's walked onto the paddock.

300,000 Toddy...take it. You're 21 years old.

Chachi

Bench
After a terrible 2007 the dude is probably just basking in the attention he is receiving from a number of clubs. Let him have his time and he'll make the right decision.

The sad thing is he grew up loving this team because his idols like Laurie, Ricky and Mal stuck together to be one of the great sides of the modern era - and they did so without any of this contract bullsh*t constantly going on in the background. It's a pity Todd doesn't see himself in the same light as those legends and is happy to stuff the club around a bit to get his way.

It's not a way I like to see true champions behaving and I don't want to see his name tainted the same way money whores like Mason have been.

In fairness to TC ( and I'll be as p*ssed as anyone if he does leave ) he has only been quoted as saying he hasnt talked to any other club , he wants to play some footy and he needs to speak to his mum first. All the other bullsh*t is just speculation at the moment.
There is every chance that his manager is speaking to the other clubs , leaking this sh*te out , to just pump up his clients asking price. As any manager worth his salt should do , it still doesnt change that there scum IMO.
TC mum is the one that will tell Toddy to look in his Heart and to do the right thing.
Money talks but so does Mummy.

Chachi

Bench
Has he actually been quoted as saying he hasn't talked to any club? I understand he hasn't sat down with his manager and discussed any deals, nor has he (obviously) signed with any club, but I think it's pretty clear he's had some discussions.

Remember Whatuira was all but signed for us last year according to the media. This rubbish happens all the time.

Bay56

First Grade
Brimmer said:
I think 300,000 is a VERY good offer from Canberra. I'd be sticking to my guns with that.... If he wants more then ta-ta. We'd be sending out a very bad signal otherwise.

FFS I think he's going to be a good player but it's not as if he's really stepped up every time he's walked onto the paddock.

300,000 Toddy...take it. You're 21 years old.

Yea Brimmer we'd be sending out a signal that we're not willing to pay what another club would to secure a talented player .... we'd also be sending out a signal to any other player not to bother dealing with the Raiders ... that's one of the reasons the club finds itself finishing in and around 8th on the table season after season.

If we are not going to pay $350K for TC what player do you want to offer that sort of money !!! ... you need a few $350K players at your club if you are going to be taken seriously.

Chachi

Bench
Raiders' Carney confides in Jason Smith
February 26, 2008 - 3:50PM

The man who groomed Todd Carney's talent believes the once-troubled Canberra halfback should not be bagged if he leaves the NRL club credited with turning his life around.

Former Test utility Jason Smith also agrees with the likes of Andrew Johns that Carney can be the next NSW Origin halfback.

The in-demand Carney has been cleared of a quad muscle injury and will make his first 2008 start in the Raiders' trial match against the Cowboys at Townsville on Saturday night after being named on the bench on Tuesday.

Smith spent two years nurturing Carney's playmaking talent at the Raiders and is still a close friend, recently receiving a phone call from the talented youngster as he contemplated his future options.

Carney has been tipped to link with his former Raiders coach Matthew Elliott on a long-term deal with Penrith.

If he leaves, the 21-year-old is expected to cop flak after the Raiders stayed loyal to him during a string of off-field indiscretions.

As recently as last year Carney faced a potential prison term for driving offences.

But Smith defended Carney's right to move if it was for the right reasons.

"You could look at it both ways," he told AAP.

"It might be good to leave (Canberra) after he has had a bit of trouble down there and start afresh.

"But also Todd could be the face of Canberra for the next 10 years.

"Whether Todd leaves is totally up to him. I just hope it is for the reason that it is going to make him a better footballer."

Canberra wants Carney's decision before the season starts next month but the talented No.7 has indicated he will wait until as late as round five.

"Everybody understands now that clubs aren't loyal to players and players aren't loyal to clubs," 16-Test veteran Smith said.

"This is a career. And these blokes have got to do the best for themselves while they can.

"Everyone starts somewhere. You don't see many players like Allan Langer or Andrew Johns who play their career at one club."

Smith admitted Carney had rung up for advice after receiving offers from Penrith and the Bulldogs.

"He was in a quandary," he said.

"I just told him it is a career. It is not going to last forever. I just said make sure you do it for the right reasons."

After Carney received recent praise from Johns, Smith said he would "love" to see the youngster make his Origin debut in 2008.

"I reckon Todd will be the Australian halfback sooner or later," said Smith, who drew the curtain on his 17-year first grade career last season.

"He's probably the best young talent I have seen going around in the game for a long time.

"He's just a bit unfortunate that JT (North Queensland's Johnathan Thurston) is there."

http://news.leaguehq.com.au/raiders-carney-confides-in-jason-smith/20080226-1ux3.html
Now THAT doesn't sound great. Maybe I'm jumping the gun but it's getting to the point where I hope he leaves. Do a deal with whoever and get someone on board that has his head screwed on.

If he's going to leave get it over and done with. He effectively ruined our last season and I don't want him ruining this one by being the most hated man in the club. The last thing we need is for our own halfback to be booed everytime his name is announced over the last 20 weeks of the comp.

Bay56

First Grade
Chachi said:
Now THAT doesn't sound great. Maybe I'm jumping the gun but it's getting to the point where I hope he leaves. Do a deal with whoever and get someone on board that has his head screwed on.

If he's going to leave get it over and done with. He effectively ruined our last season and I don't want him ruining this one by being the most hated man in the club. The last thing we need is for our own halfback to be booed everytime his name is announced over the last 20 weeks of the comp.

I wont be booing him Chachi ... my energies would be directed at others.

Raider_69

Post Whore
i wont boo him if he leaves, quite simply i wont be at any souths logan games this year ;)
if he does leave, thats his decision, ill be pissed for awhile but ill get over it, but the major factor for me is not wasting time forming combinations with a bloke about to leave, if he leaves, spend that time in FG finding the next halves combination from herbert, campese and dobson