What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raidpatch

I'm a 37 year old carpenter by trade originally from Canberra. I've lived in Noosa Queensland, Kidman Park Adelaide, St Kilda andMelbourne and Five Dock Sydney in the past,and recently moved into a new home on the outer skirts of Western Sydney where my family and I now reside. It's not what I wanted myself, comming backto Sydney, but my better half is originally born and bred here. With two relatively young little ones, it's actually more convinient for us because she has a huge family here and with two fulltime working adults like us, it's good to have family close by to mind the kids when need be. My own family is relatively small and scattered around Australia. Mum and dad now live in Liverpool Sydney
Although carpentry is my trade, I have tried my hands on a number of other fields. I hate doing the same thing for too long a period of time.I'll just mention a couple briefly.
I did three years in the NSW Police Force with a year and a half of that, doing Highway Patrol in the Endevour Region of Sydney. Without getting into too greater detail for my leaving the force, in the fear it might cause problems to this community, let's just say the 'c' and 'd'word had a lot to do with it. I witnessed it first hand all around me and refused to be a part of it. The majority of the guys and girls in the force were a great bunch of people that I still miss to this day. That's life though.

I also worked for a large security firm doing personal body guard work for a couple of years both here and in Melbourne a few years back. But it wasn't for me, because I was mainly involved with celebrities and the 'upper class' and their pretentiousness made me want to puke on more ocassions than I care to remember. Plus the job was far less exciting than I thought it would be. Pay was excellent though. Hours were ridiculous.
They're just a couple of the eight or so career paths I've juggled over the years. Currently, and of very recently,I'm working in a family run business temporarily on the North Shore, until I decide to try my hands on something else. I'm tossing up between furthering my studiesor trying my hand at my own security firm. I'll decide sometime by the mid of this year.
Rugby League is my number one sporting passion but I do enjoy a whole range of different sports. I've lost a lot of interest in Cricket since the scandals of the last few years, but still enjoy the odd game every now and then, but won't put a day aside. AFL I quite enjoy most of the times, but repetitivness is the games downfall. Too many games look simliar these days. Union I must say I'm not totally against but would neither go out of my way to watch. The club games are a waste of time in my opinion and should be scrapped. International Rugby is far superior on all levels in comparison to the club crap. Boxing I have a hidden interest in, but I must admit, I prefer to watch a 'known' fighter than a couple I no very little about. I look forward to the Tyson-Lewis bout...whenever? Formula One I use to love a few years ago, but since the great Schumacher's dominance of the last few years, it's lost some of its appeal with me. Plus I'm too old to get up at 1.00am to watch a race these days. Soccer I enjoy. More so the international scene than the local club stuff. I'm waiting desperately for the World Cup in a few months,and will most certainly be glued all hours of the day in the hope of not missing a thing.
I was a member of WORL but decided to make the transition over to Legend's when everyone else did. Plus things were obsolete and repetitive their and boredom was the only thing happening. I'm still a member their, although not very active of late, but have notfound anything worth while to post on in months. I had a glance over Matt's Grandstand a few times, but it doesn't impress me the slightest. Good luck to them anyhow.I know most guys here, through cyber at least, and I feel comfortable throwing in my two bobs worth without the fear of getting ridiculed or laughed at.
Anyway, I've probably borred you guys too much by now, so I'll itend here.
Please feel free to ask questions, because though I haven't posted in months, I hope to once again become a regular from here on in. I'll try my hardest anyhow.

Regards / Raidpatch.

V

Vertigo

Nice to see you posting again Raidpatch. Enjoyed reading your character profile.
One question though:
Without getting into too greater detail for my leaving the force, in the fear it might cause problems to this community, let's just say the 'c' and 'd'word had a lot to do with it.

I'm guessing the 'c' word is corruption, but the 'd' word has me scratching my melon. I also have two (distant)family members currently active in the NSW Police Force. One's based in Port Macquarie and the other was recently transferred to Town Hall Police Station from Bathurst after moving home.
I'd understand fully if you decide to not answer the question...
Vertigo.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Vertigo: pharmaceuticals.

Good to see your post Raidpatch.
I've met loads of Police officers and without a doubt the vast majority are decent hard working people. But like a lot of thing the minority are the problem.
Usually,its just one person that causes the hassles while the rest just want to get on with the job.

Thankyou for the welcome back guys.

I won't comment further on the Police Force discussion, except to say that you are both on the same wavelength. Let us just leave it at that.

Cheers :))

Javaman

Juniors
Raidpatch / Seeings you were once a Highway Patrol officerwith the NSW Police Force, I was just wondering if you could offer the rest of us some tips on how to avoid being done by the radar? In particular considering that a HP officers primarygoal is to issue citations for various traffic infringements but in particularspeeding offences.Some first hand inside tips maybe?
I'm on the verge of losing my DL for the first time and wan't to avoid being without it if possible. I'm not lead footed, drive a fast sportscaror a hoon of anytype. Just always in the wrong place at the wrong time, and continously running late for appointments. Hell, I drive a 2000 model Mitsubishi Mirage so what's the attraction?
Either way, thankyou from Jarvaman.

imported_Outlaw

Juniors
Absolutely! C'mon Raidpatch. Help us out here mate. I'm sure there wouldn't be one person here who would object to such a fair request. How about it mate? Afterall, we're all friends here...right? lol
Any objections from the managers?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
LOL...Notup to us Outlaw, its entirely up to anyone who wants to reply.

Java man: "Just always in the wrong place at the wrong time, and continously running late for appointments"

emcrook.gif

Haha. Just kidding guys. I'd be more than happy to give some tips Javaman, except not right now. I'm too busy with work. I'll post again later (today I hope)with a few ways to avoid being done by the MIB's.
Raidpatch

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Thanks for that Raidpatch...got it locked away before it was flicked.

One question if I may...
I've been told that there is an unwritten rule amongst police to have anallowance of 10km over the speed limit before pulling over the driver. Any truth in this?

I've had one speeding fine (via speed camera)in the last 15 years when I was doing 71 kms in a 60 kms zone...I've about done 65 - 68 along the same stretch (a six lane main road) and never had a problem so I assumed that there might be some truth in the rumour.

I remember being frustated at the time because I was actually over-taken by aDivvy Vanbut I figure thems the breaks. I've had plenty of free kicks from cops as well so I guess things even up.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
No worries Raidpatch...got all that info 'locked away' as well. Many Thanks
emthup.gif

El Duque

Bench
Raidpatch,I thought the radars were off set by 5kmh?

So to register asdoing 61kmh you'd be really doing 66knh if you know what I mean.

I'm not too sure what your question is El Duque.
If you're asking whether officers set the radar speed to register a vehicle at a certain speed over the limit, then usually it's about 8kms. For example, if the speed limit in a given stretch is 80kms, they may sit or cruise along with their radar setto 'beep' or 'trigger'when a vehicle is doing 86 plus kms. But of course it depends on a number of issues which I addressed earlier.
If you're refering to the calibration of the radar's accuracy, then by memory it was 1.8kms orthere abouts accurate. Not perfect, but hardly worthy of an arguementholding up in court. I believe they very recently recieved a whole new batch of radars from the U.S which has been a huge success with the State Troopers in all but four states. They're said to still be in the experimental stage, but apparently have far more precision and 'trap' rate. It's what I heard very recently from a friend who is still active in the NSW Highway Patrol.
If I haven't answered your question, please be a little more specific because I'm not sure what the point you're trying to present is. I'll check again tomorrow.

Raidpatch

Raidpatch,
Interesting yarn about you and your family.May fortune follow you.
I reckon you are sick to death with folk asking about your patrol days,but I'm about to add to it.
I reckon that the bullshit propaganda about speeding is nothing but an excuse for revenue raising.
If, as is supposed to be,the issue is about road safety,then how come I always get caught behind the cretin wearing a hat and doing 80klms an hour in a 100 zone.Why is this prick allowed to drive well below the speed limit and not be thought of as infringing the speed limit?
If people can be booked for going over the limit,why not be booked for beingunacceptably below the limit.I would have thought the safety issue was much the same.
As for little old ladies driving their mint condition 1967 Morris 1100 on freeways,well maybe compulsory licensetesting on a bi-annual basis is not an unsafe practise(that is another issue,I realize).
As far as solving crime goes,coppers make good tax collectors.

El Duque

Bench
I think you understood what I was saying.

As you say the calibration was off by 1.8kmh or something round there so I thought they somehow adjusted it so that ppl could not take every case to court saying the radar is out by a couple of kmh so they weren't speeding.Kind of like a handicap.

Latest posts