What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raking

docbrown

Coach
Uh-oh... another 'ideas' post.

Just curious to know what people think of raking at play the balls. Too messy? Or does it throw another contest into the game?

We allow one on one strips - how about when a player has made a one on one tackle, the defender can rake the play the ball?

Way way way too messy. If we allow that, we are moving one step closer to becoming the male orgy called rugby union.

docbrown

Coach
I don't want our game over penalised and looking like Union.

But I was thinking that if it was a one on one tackle, then it's kind of clean and rewards an opportunity to that defending player for making the effort (rather than a gang tackle).

As long as the attacking player has his foot on the ball, then he should be controlling it any how.

BDGS

Bench
One of your worse ideas Docbrown. Stay away from the rules and stick to the other stuff. You are great at all that other stuff. TV ratings, TV rights, Match ups etc.

docbrown

Coach
I should note - I sometimes help out with coaching a local team and in prep warmups we actually try out some of the more bizarre rule change ideas of mine just to see how they look in practice.

I was actually quite happy with how this one turned out hence why I posted it. It was in a 20 minute practice game, team was 2 points down. One minute out they opted to only make one on one tackles. It gave the attacking team some more space - but on the third tackle, the defence managed to get possession and in the same set scored.

I was impressed with how it went down but I know how people perceive the raking rule. I thought under this scenario however it actually worked.

juanfarkall

Coach
I played rugby league when raking/striking was allowed in the play the ball.
If you want to see markers harassing the bloke playing the ball even more than now, go ahead...
The Gimps in pink can't get the rules right now without making things more complicated for them.

Quidgybo

Bench
The Gimps in pink can't get the rules right now without making things more complicated for them.
Well if you know of any pool of Super refs out there who can call the game more accurately, more consistently, and can handle more complicated rules than the full time professionals we have now then by all means point us to them. It sounds like we need them.

Leigh.

Last edited:

cornerposter

Juniors
Wouldn't mind the one on one tackle being rewarded in some way, not sure if this is it. That said, it's the sort of thing they could have a crack at during the trials. Can't hurt to have another contest in the game.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Love the old style.

It would be one way of making the fellas play the ball properly that's for sure.

But the way the game is these days, leave it in the past sadly.

RHCP

Bench
I'd like to see a rule that somehow rewards good one-on-one tackles rather than a gang wrestle, because right now I'm sure coaches frown upon them due to the fact more often than not they result in a quick play the ball or a penalty for holding down to long.

Don't know if this is it though.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
I'd like to see a rule that somehow rewards good one-on-one tackles rather than a gang wrestle, because right now I'm sure coaches frown upon them due to the fact more often than not they result in a quick play the ball or a penalty for holding down to long.

Don't know if this is it though.

There is such a rule. Its called being allowed to strip the ball... ;)

juanfarkall

Coach
I was one of the great rakers.

I only "raked" against certain opponents and teams.
It was more like I would kick the living f**k out of the ball in an effort to harm the distracted opposition player with a sly forearm, headbutt or elbow than any genuine attempt at raking the ball although if said opponent had a hand or arm injury I would always have a lash at that too.

griff

Bench
Raking should be allowed, not because it is a good thing in and of itself, but because of the subsequent effects.

If raking was allowed, attacking players would need to be more careful with how they play the ball. This would mean less messy play the balls. It would also slightly slow the play the ball down, leading to a more set defensive line and therefore reduce the effectiveness of dummy half and one out running. This would lead to more expansive play.

Everything is inter related and things have unintended consequences. A contested play the ball would be messy on occasion, but overall I think it's positive knock on effects outweigh that.

docbrown

Coach
Raking should be allowed, not because it is a good thing in and of itself, but because of the subsequent effects.

If raking was allowed, attacking players would need to be more careful with how they play the ball. This would mean less messy play the balls. It would also slightly slow the play the ball down, leading to a more set defensive line and therefore reduce the effectiveness of dummy half and one out running. This would lead to more expansive play.

Everything is inter related and things have unintended consequences. A contested play the ball would be messy on occasion, but overall I think it's positive knock on effects outweigh that.

Well this is actually what I was attempting to address.

I made a post late last year about an idea about penalising a tackled dummy half runner with a loss of a tackle (one of my more bizarre ideas).

Little did I know - and maybe Sean can elaborate more on the subject - but back in the 60's there was a similar rule where a tackled dummy half would actually result in an opposition scrum feed but it was later reverted back.

My thoughts are from what I've witnessed that attacking players when one on one definitely focus more on cleaner play the balls - and like you said in turn the results in a set defence and subsequently the attacking team throwing the ball around.

Plus I have to say - that one on one tackles became even more interesting to watch because there was an expectation that something might happen. It becomes a mini-contest in and of itself.