What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rams look good preseason!

chileman

Coach
ST. LOUIS (Aug. 18, 2003) -- Kim Herring returned a fumble by Keyshawn Johnson 59 yards for a touchdown in the St. Louis Rams' 26-16 exhibition victory over the Super Bowl champion Tampa Buccaneers on Monday night.

Kurt Warner was perfect on his only drive of the game, going 7-for-7 for 55 yards to set up a field goal, while the Bucs' defense failed to lay a hand on him.

The Rams (1-1) also ended a five-game losing streak in the preseason. They were 0-4 last year following a Super Bowl loss to the Patriots, and then began the regular season 0-5.

The Bucs (2-1) sputtered after totaling 50 points in their first two preseason games, although Brad Johnson was 7-for-9 for 55 yards in a little over one quarter.

Offensive tackle Kenyatta Walker sat out with a sprained ankle for Tampa Bay, which has won each of the last three regular-season meetings against the Rams.

The Bucs managed only 111 yards of total offense in the first half, falling behind 16-0.

Tampa Bay's defense, led by Warren Sapp and Derrick Brooks, played most of the first quarter, surrendering only an opening 14-play, 66-yard drive.

Buccaneers third-string quarterback Chris Simms played most of the second half and threw two touchdown passes and two 2-point conversion passes.

The Rams' defense had very few big plays last year. St. Louis had only an interception return by Dre' Bly, but gave up nine defensive touchdowns.

Keyshawn Johnson fumbled at the end of a 9-yard reception when Adam Archuleta hit him as he was falling. The ball came loose, Herring scooped it up and scored untouched to give the Rams a 10-0 lead with 14:09 to go in the second quarter.

Herring entered camp expected to be Jason Sehorn's backup, but became the starter at free safety when Sehorn broke his foot.

The Rams again rested Marshall Faulk and Aeneas Williams, wishing to save them for the regular season. Jeff Wilkins, who missed a 37-yard field-goal attempt and had an extra point blocked in a 7-6 loss to the Raiders last week, was 4-for-4 on a series of chip shots with a long of 37.

Rams quarterbacks were 13-for-13 in the first half. Backup Marc Bulger, who was 6-1 as the Rams' starter while Warner was sidelined by a broken pinkie and hand last year, was 6-for-6 for 82 yards.

Arlen Harris, battling for a backup running back job with St. Louis, broke a tackle on a 7-yard run that made it 23-8 late in the third quarter.

Notes: Cardinals manager Tony La Russa was among the celebrity guests at the game. He spent much of the pregame chatting with Rams general manager Charley Armey. Cardinals CF Jim Edmonds also watched from a luxury suite. ... Rams C Dave Wohlabaugh broke his left thumb in the second quarter, but expects to play Saturday at Buffalo. Andy McCollum, the center last year and now the starter at LG, played most of the rest of the game at center. ... The Rams' last victory in the preseason came in the exhibition final in 2001, a 21-17 victory over the Chiefs in the annual Governor's Cup game. ... The Bucs lost once last year in the preseason, 40-10 to the Redskins. ... Bucs FB Jameel Cook sprained his right thumb in the fourth quarter.

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Paullyboy

Coach
i followed a bit of this game and was surprised to see how well the Rams were dealing with the Tampa defensive secondary. I think today showed that the Bucs are going to have a much tougher time this year than they did last year - this year everyone is ready for their defence and all it takes is mixing it up with a few passes then a run for the Bucs D to be backpedalling.

I think Kurt Warner looked good but you cant take anything away from Marc Bulger, I really think he is a top notch QB, but unfortunately for him, he will stay a backup unless there are injuries again.

kurt faulk

Coach

man, did anyone see faulks' second td against the bills.

warner threaded the needle between three defenders right on the chest of faulk in stride for a great td.

faulk will be the number 1 rb this year.

warner will be the number 1 qb.

I saw a bit of the game against the Bills, and it did look like Warner was throwing well. I saw him throw a few long passes right on the money. It may be too early to tell, but I think he'll be back to his old form this year.

Cupid Stunt

kurt faulk said:

Faulk wont last the season, he'll break down again.

Warner will break another nail & Bulger will once more be their saviour.

kurt faulk

Coach
Cupid Stunt said:
kurt faulk said:

Faulk wont last the season, he'll break down again.

Warner will break another nail & Bulger will once more be their saviour.

faulk worked with the team during the offseason for the first time in a long time to ensure he would be at his peak for the up coming season. he is primed for a mvp season.

warner is the toughest qb i've seen. the way he can put the ball on a receivers chest a millisecond before being crunched by the defence is a sight to behold. not many qbs would put their body on the line like that.

and the rams are so lucky to have two great qbs in their ranks. the offense won't miss a beat with bulger in there. but i don't think we'll see much of him this season.

kurt faulk

Coach
CanadianSteve said:
I saw a bit of the game against the Bills, and it did look like Warner was throwing well. I saw him throw a few long passes right on the money. It may be too early to tell, but I think he'll be back to his old form this year.

yeah, it is too early to tell but i get a bit excited when i see him play well. especially after last years debacle.

steve, i saw the first half of the steelers and cowboys game. i have to tell you, that offense you have looks downright scary. burress and ward look unstoppable. one of them will burn you on any given play. if the steelers can fix their defence they will be hard to stop this year. but then again, so will the titans.

Paullyboy

Coach
Marshall Faulk is still the best Running back in football if he is fit, and the Rams still have arguably a top 3 offence when Warner and Faulk are both there.

In todays game the Colts sent out a descent message despite using a 4th string running back for most of the game. Peyton Manning looked very good and will be a great QB this year. Plummer made a relatively descent debut for the Broncos, but he did throw 2 interceptions against a Colts defence that is far from intimidating.

kurt faulk said:
steve, i saw the first half of the steelers and cowboys game. i have to tell you, that offense you have looks downright scary. burress and ward look unstoppable. one of them will burn you on any given play. if the steelers can fix their defence they will be hard to stop this year. but then again, so will the titans.

That's good to hear. I haven't started following the Steelers yet this pre-season. How did Tommy Maddox look? I think the defence will come around - that's what Cowher is known for, and they were quite good last year except in pass defence.

Latest posts