What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Random International News

2021 Rugby League Ireland Championships

View attachment 48875

Great seeing the introduction of a second division in the Men's.
https://www.loverugbyleague.com/pos...um-move-captures-public-attention-in-ireland/

Longhorns RL will play the two biggest matches in the Irish rugby league calendar at the 8,000-capacity Morton Stadium in July.

The reigning All Ireland Champions will take on Galway Tribesman on July 3 and Malahide RLFC on July 10, as they search for a fifth consecutive title.

They hope to welcome spectators into the National Athletics stadium, located in the Santry area of Dublin, if Government guidelines allow.

Paul Varga, Longhorns RL Assistant Coach: “We’re attempting to capture the public’s attention. There’s only one way to do that: raise the stakes.

“From the perspective of the club, the idea of moving to Morton Stadium is much more than just playing: we’re hoping the players express their excitement to play in this venue on the pitch.

“I believe that will be transferred to the spectators, whether they are at home or hopefully in the stands. Longhorns RL matches have always received vibrant support from our growing community who are vocal in their support. This is for them.”

Huddersfield’s Ronan Michael, currently on loan at Swinton, is a product of the Longhorns club.

They will open the RLI Championship away at Barrow Cudas on June 19, and will live stream their home games online.

Jim Reynolds, Rugby League Ireland Chairman, added: “This is welcome news – having more Rugby League being played in Morton Stadium is good news for everyone associated with the sport in Ireland.
“Personally, it pleases me greatly that I am part of an organisation that is utilising this historic venue more and more.

“My late father was a friend and supporter of Billy Morton in his tenacious campaign to get this stadium built and seeing our Senior Team beat Italy here in 2019 to qualify for this year’s Rugby League World Cup was especially significant for me.”

189921287_2918661231739991_6151721133590209239_n.jpg

yakstorm

First Grade
https://www.loverugbyleague.com/pos...um-move-captures-public-attention-in-ireland/

Longhorns RL will play the two biggest matches in the Irish rugby league calendar at the 8,000-capacity Morton Stadium in July.

The reigning All Ireland Champions will take on Galway Tribesman on July 3 and Malahide RLFC on July 10, as they search for a fifth consecutive title.

They hope to welcome spectators into the National Athletics stadium, located in the Santry area of Dublin, if Government guidelines allow.

Paul Varga, Longhorns RL Assistant Coach: “We’re attempting to capture the public’s attention. There’s only one way to do that: raise the stakes.

“From the perspective of the club, the idea of moving to Morton Stadium is much more than just playing: we’re hoping the players express their excitement to play in this venue on the pitch.

“I believe that will be transferred to the spectators, whether they are at home or hopefully in the stands. Longhorns RL matches have always received vibrant support from our growing community who are vocal in their support. This is for them.”

Huddersfield’s Ronan Michael, currently on loan at Swinton, is a product of the Longhorns club.

They will open the RLI Championship away at Barrow Cudas on June 19, and will live stream their home games online.

Jim Reynolds, Rugby League Ireland Chairman, added: “This is welcome news – having more Rugby League being played in Morton Stadium is good news for everyone associated with the sport in Ireland.
“Personally, it pleases me greatly that I am part of an organisation that is utilising this historic venue more and more.

“My late father was a friend and supporter of Billy Morton in his tenacious campaign to get this stadium built and seeing our Senior Team beat Italy here in 2019 to qualify for this year’s Rugby League World Cup was especially significant for me.”

Always great seeing any club take on an initiative like this and hopefully they'll be allowed to have spectators attend.

It's actually quite heartening to see all three Celtic Nations emerge out of COVID in stronger positions than they went into it.

yakstorm

First Grade
https://wrl.wales/cardiff-demons-returns-as-the-new-name-for-the-welsh-womens-super-league-side

The historic name of Cardiff Demons has been resurrected for a return to rugby league, after the general public voted for this to be the name of the new Betfred Womens Super League franchise that is being run by Wales Rugby League and based in the Welsh capital.

Put to a public poll on election day on Thursday May 6, the Demons name attracted 45 per cent of the votes. The plan is for the new team to play out of the iconic Cardiff Arms Park and to train at University of South Wales.

The original Cardiff Demons side came into being in 1997 as a men’s RFL Academy side, playing for three seasons in that competition, achieving one promotion. The Demons merged with UWIC University in 1999-2000 for that season’s Challenge Cup, where they reached the third round, before joining the Rugby League Conference and playing their first matches 20 years ago in May 2001.

In their time as Cardiff Demons, the club produced six full Wales RL internationals – Jon Breakingbury, Neil Davies, Gareth Dean, Aled James, Ian Newbury and current Wales men’s captain Elliot Kear, whilst WRU international Gethin Jenkins also turned out for the side in the 1990s.

Gareth Kear CEO said: “The new Women’s Super League team is part of a joint strategy between the WRL and RFL to create a much-needed elite level between Community and International levels to help further develop the best female players and coaches in South Wales. The Demons will play four regular season matches in a three-team league as well as playing for their WRL community clubs. It is an incredibly exciting for Rugby League in Wales and especially for women. Our vision is for this team to become a semi-professional team playing against the very best teams like Wigan Warriors, Leeds Rhinos and Bradford Bulls.”

The away matches come first, travelling to Bristol to face the Golden Ferns, the female side of the All Golds, on Saturday July 3 and then Redruth to face fellow Celts, the Cornish Rebels a week later on July 10.

The Rebels will then visit Cardiff Arms Park on Saturday July 31 with The Golden Ferns travelling over the Severn Bridge a week later on August 7.

The top two from the Betfred Super League South Wales and West Division will qualify for the semi-finals where they will meet one of the top two from the East of England Division where Bedford Tigers, London Broncos and the British Army are competing.

That match will be on Saturday August 14, with the Grand Final on Sunday August 29.

Ian Newbury, whose first rugby league club was Cardiff Demons over a decade ago and a full international cap, will be the side’s head coach. He says: “It was a hard process to find a name, but it was a resounding victory to bring back the Demons.

“I’m excited to get going and look to push for the finals. With the community game starting on June 12, its an opportunity for all players in Wales to put their hand up for selection. Wales Rugby League are creating a great pathway for women’s sport and I’m honoured to be a part of it.”

Newbury is also the Wales Women’s international side assistant coach, and 17 of the 24 strong squad announced this week for the test match against England on June 25 will all play for the new Cardiff Demons and be dual registered with their WRL Community clubs.

yakstorm

First Grade
I'm really liking this strategy from Rugby League Samoa. In addition to running their own Rugby League competitions, they're partnering with local Rugby Union competitions and getting them to run their own Nines events, and then enter composite teams into the RLS events.