What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Random thoughts after Bulldogs game

since77

Juniors
Benji - yesterdays game was the one I thought it became clear he needs to bow out gracefully - now. Modern game has passed him by. Sad.
Kurt Mann - surprised and impressed with his last 2 games - has showed a touch of class or 2 - especially playing out of position. Congrats to him for coming out the other side of a bad start to season.
Attack - watch the way the Bulldogs backline ran, almost sprinted at us in attacking formations. We're like an under 12's team to watch.
Rein - Geez he's a dud as a dummy half. That pass early on in the game on Bulldogs line - if we re-sign him we're idiots. But of course, we're idiots.
Interchange - terrible bench picked - again, and terrible use of interchange - again.
Predicted finish for the year - 13th.
An understrength Melbourne will tear us a new one next week.

matPORTS

Juniors
My random thoughts:

The fact that we are within touching distance of the top eight, despite the loss yesterday, just goes to prove how mediocre the comp is as a whole. Worst in attack and only middle of the road in defense.

The standard of officiating in the NRL is at an all time low. The Bunker has put it all on show. Some teams (the Bulldogs being one of them) have just got it when it comes to getting all the 50/50 calls going in their favour at crucial times of the game. My passion for the game as a whole is quickly waning as a result. I'm over it!

Trying to remain positive, our next five games are certainly very winnable. In fact I'd say we have to win all of them. But then we are also caught between a rock and hard place.
Win all of them = justification that Mary is doing a good job and should remain as coach
Win some of them = we are still on shaky ground with a very tough last six weeks
Win none of them = where do we go to from there...

... which brings me to my next point. Even if a new coach is to be brought in (one that meets the criteria that most on here seem to want ie. outside influence, seasoned, has been around the traps, has enough influence to attract the right players from outside the club etc), we are still at least three years away from being a genuine top four threat again.

We need a number 7 and a number 9 ASAP! Sorry Benji, but you're past it unfortunately (but please do your best to finish your probable last season in the NRL with a bang). Sorry Mitch, but for all those tackles you make, you simply can't provide fast clean adequate service in attack.
If anyone within the club is reading this - do whatever it takes to attract the best available options in these positions for next year and beyond.

Mr Red

First Grade
agree with most of what you said - i have added a few extra thoughts..
My random thoughts:

The fact that we are within touching distance of the top eight, despite the loss yesterday, just goes to prove how mediocre the comp is as a whole. Worst in attack and only middle of the road in defense.

the whole top 8 scenario rewards mediocrity.. half of the total teams in the comp play finals footy, and you only need to win approx. 50% of matches to get there.. hardly cause to celebrate. A top 6 would be fair and actually make those mid table teams want to improve.

The standard of officiating in the NRL is at an all time low. The Bunker has put it all on show. Some teams (the Bulldogs being one of them) have just got it when it comes to getting all the 50/50 calls going in their favour at crucial times of the game. My passion for the game as a whole is quickly waning as a result. I'm over it!

agree - the bunker has only confirmed what most have already known. Video ref decisions defy logic. I thought getting some ex-players in there might help apply "football logic" to the rule book, however it seems those ex-players have been brainwashed to remove any logic to decisions.

Trying to remain positive, our next five games are certainly very winnable. In fact I'd say we have to win all of them. But then we are also caught between a rock and hard place.
Win all of them = justification that Mary is doing a good job and should remain as coach
Win some of them = we are still on shaky ground with a very tough last six weeks
Win none of them = where do we go to from there...

... which brings me to my next point. Even if a new coach is to be brought in (one that meets the criteria that most on here seem to want ie. outside influence, seasoned, has been around the traps, has enough influence to attract the right players from outside the club etc), we are still at least three years away from being a genuine top four threat again.

i think a club can become successful a lot quicker than 3 years with the introduction of the right coaching staff.. Bennett coming was a good example.. the difference in the team in 2009 when he took over was instant.. straight away we were a force. Bennett bought in some key players in key areas. with so many clubs equal in terms of mediocrity, the introduction of a good coach followed by some smart recruiting can move you ahead of the pack pretty quickly.

We need a number 7 and a number 9 ASAP! Sorry Benji, but you're past it unfortunately (but please do your best to finish your probable last season in the NRL with a bang). Sorry Mitch, but for all those tackles you make, you simply can't provide fast clean adequate service in attack.
If anyone within the club is reading this - do whatever it takes to attract the best available options in these positions for next year and beyond.

agree 100%!

matPORTS

Juniors
agree with most of what you said - i have added a few extra thoughts..

Definitely agree that we can become successful quicker than three years if the right people are brought in. But not sure if someone is out there who has the capability to get the club right in the space of one pre-season like Bennett did in 09.

But it's better the three years (or whatever the rebuilding period is) commence right now instead of another one or two years down the track!!

Straight Shooter

Lethal25

Juniors
But it's better the three years (or whatever the rebuilding period is) commence right now instead of another one or two years down the track!!

Straight Shooter

Haven't we been rebuilding so to speak since 2012?

Only place where change hasn't occurred................club management!

Mr Red

First Grade
Haven't we been rebuilding so to speak since 2012?

Only place where change hasn't occurred................club management!
recruitment strategy has a lot to answer for... and i use the word "strategy" very loosely....

time to invest in player talent that will form a long term core playing roster... not this ongoing lucky dip of recruiting 10 fringe players on 1 year deals and hoping 1 or 2 of them turn into seasoned first graders... doesnt show any stability or long term strategy or team direction...

somethings gotta change....

St Georgio

Juniors
I didn't watch the game but it seems from all reports Benji is past it, In his defense when many supporters and probably a few official are against him..it doesn't help his cause, adding to his issues is having a shit coach and a team playing like pussies..I am quite sure that if Benji was playing in his proper position(6) and a team firing he would be killing it and those here bagging him would be singing a different tune, I aactually feel sorry for Benji playing in a crap team. If I was Benji I would turn to some of the best in the business like Bennett, Lockyer, A Johns for their opinions.

Gareth67

First Grade
recruitment strategy has a lot to answer for... and i use the word "strategy" very loosely....

time to invest in player talent that will form a long term core playing roster... not this ongoing lucky dip of recruiting 10 fringe players on 1 year deals and hoping 1 or 2 of them turn into seasoned first graders... doesnt show any stability or long term strategy or team direction...

somethings gotta change....

Have the Dragons any overseas contacts as other clubs do? With so many players yet to sign for next year and also the likely retirement of others ,surely that must give the Dragons some money to use on a couple of - tough as teak - forwards for next year and beyond ? Besides a couple of bad refereeing decisions, yesterday's game once again proved the old adage - that a good BIG team will always beat a (almost) good SMALL team . Make a few phone calls to England or even France and enquire if there are some-huge props with some mongrel bred in them that are available .

since77

Juniors
I didn't watch the game but it seems from all reports Benji is past it, In his defense when many supporters and probably a few official are against him..it doesn't help his cause, adding to his issues is having a shit coach and a team playing like pussies..I am quite sure that if Benji was playing in his proper position(6) and a team firing he would be killing it and those here bagging him would be singing a different tune, I aactually feel sorry for Benji playing in a crap team. If I was Benji I would turn to some of the best in the business like Bennett, Lockyer, A Johns for their opinions.

Age + injuries + out of form team + the rocks vs diamonds thing is just churning out rocks these days. It all leads to a deterioration in confidence and that cycle just goes round and round - best example was the crazy flick pass he threw yesterday after he stormed through a gap.
A coach like Bennett would be thinking about tapping him on the shoulder, like he's done in the past to players like Wally Lewis, Langer, Wendell, Priddis and many others. There's no shame in admitting your career is nearing its end.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Benji and Widdop did not really get a chance to do much. Any half would have had the same impact. The forwards were not making much ground and took an age to play the ball and the hookers we have are terrible. I would give McCrone a run and put Rein on the bench. Benji did a flick pass and gets crucified. Nobody takes notice of his try he set up for Mann. Great kick and Mann did well to score.

At 16-16 I thought Saints did well to catch them on the scoreboard. Then the dodgy decision came. The Refs gifted them 14 points (Liccha and Hoppa try + JMoz crap dive). Take 14 off the scoreboard and the Dragons lose 20-16. I actually thought they started good in the 1st half and their heads dropped once Licha scored. Same for the second half until that awful decision.

The refs gave the Dogs the momentum both halves. Before those poor calls Saints were matching them.

Tariq Sims will be a great buy next season. I hope they push for Segyaro and Keary. If they get them 2 that will be a pretty good investment for the future. Time to get rid of Rein. If they can hold onto Benji on the cheap and have both Benji and Keary that would be ideal. If not Keary and Widdop will be a good combo.

Old Timer

Coach
Hope and pray that Duges recovers quickly and goes back to FB

Lafai & KFFL oafish, slow and can't read defence correctly so back to the Cutters and then out the door.

Milne to LC and Flo back to RW.

Mann to 5/8, Widdop to half Benji to the nursing home.

Fastest back on the books (U/20's or Cutters) to LW.

If Marketo stays on the bench he swaps with Rein after 30 minutes and Rein comes back on with 30 to go so Havilli to the Cutters and then out the door.

Cooper in the prop rotation only.

De Belin to play in the 13 jumper only with strict instructions (run at 100 MPH and don't even think about passing).

Host first choice back row bench player and to be given strict instructions "get out there and rip into it"

Mann is really the key as hopefully he will play what's in from of him and then Milne and Aitken can play off him and then maybe the wingers might actually get a look at the ball in open space.

St Georgio

Juniors
Hope and pray that Duges recovers quickly and goes back to FB

Lafai & KFFL oafish, slow and can't read defence correctly so back to the Cutters and then out the door.

Milne to LC and Flo back to RW.

Mann to 5/8, Widdop to half Benji to the nursing home.

Fastest back on the books (U/20's or Cutters) to LW.

If Marketo stays on the bench he swaps with Rein after 30 minutes and Rein comes back on with 30 to go so Havilli to the Cutters and then out the door.

Cooper in the prop rotation only.

De Belin to play in the 13 jumper only with strict instructions (run at 100 MPH and don't even think about passing).

Host first choice back row bench player and to be given strict instructions "get out there and rip into it"

Mann is really the key as hopefully he will play what's in from of him and then Milne and Aitken can play off him and then maybe the wingers might actually get a look at the ball in open space.

Mate you are flogging a dead horse, not matter what you do with this team they're nothing, end of story, you can target Benji.
I can target the coach he should f**k off, so to Rein and Widdop, basically the team needs a completely new spine and that may take another 5 years!

Bench
All the posts on this thread are 100% on point. But I fear that the coach and management will continue with the same players and the same after post game interview.
It needs some brave decisions to be made regarding the bench and promoting juniors and astute signings, t must be realised that unless there is a massive change in recruitment and player management this club is going nowhere

matPORTS

Juniors
Tariq Sims will be a great buy next season. I hope they push for Segyaro and Keary. If they get them 2 that will be a pretty good investment for the future. Time to get rid of Rein. If they can hold onto Benji on the cheap and have both Benji and Keary that would be ideal. If not Keary and Widdop will be a good combo.

I was just reading 'The Wolf' blog on William Hill (as you do).

We are still going heavily after Hastings - where does leave us in terms of Keary?

Rabbitohs going heavily after Tyrone Peachey - obviously they are resigned to the fact that Keary is moving on?

Segyaro is on the verge of signing with the Broncos, probably as soon as this fortnight. They want someone to run cover for McCullough who is injured at present - where does this leave us?

Other notables:

Josh Mansour to the Roosters.

Curtis Sironen re-signing with the Tigers is a clear indication at Jason Taylor wont be there in 2017 - it's safe to assume that Cleary will be the prime target to take over the reigns.

Some teams are dead set salary cap exempt!!

Latest posts