What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rapers first mistakes.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Last night there were a multitude of errors from selections all the way through to game plan.

What was the use of playing Sully at half for the first 20 minutes? Aitken could have had the time to warm to the occasion As it was it wasn't until the 50th minute that he did.

Galloway? Was Williams injured or is there a bigger issue there?

Swapping Goldie to the right side? Why? To keep kent & Franze together?

Gallen wasn't really there. Looked & played injured.

Beattie. 8 weeks is a long time for a front Rower to come back & start a game. Too long.

Most of all the defensive game plan. The Sharks slid in close & moved up out wide. Exactly what Canberra require for their game to look good. Ijust didn't understand it. They ripped us to shreds around the ruck.

millersnose

Post Whore
it isnt the first time this year we were ripped to shreds around the ruck

i thought that was fixed...i was wrong

what really bnothered ne was the chase.... staggered and easily beat

we had that down pat for a few weeks

i think the lack of a real leader cost more than we may think

i guess you can in hindsight say the coach bludered but really INO it was the lack of depth that did the damage

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
The defensive line did not move. Not even 1 metre.
That had to be an instruction or tactic that clearly failed
& your right I think they really missed Peachy out there tonight.
No leader & no kick chaser.

Although what you have stated has substance it all comes down to two things, depth and being dominated up front. From the start of play we were smashed up front and there is no way we were going to win being 64% of the time in our own half in the first 40minutes.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
I disagree.
why did the defensive line not move up?
From the very first set that was evident. Was it the players not wanting to do anything or was it a tactic?

Macca

Coach
Sully was doing things no one else knew about. He was kicking the ball for no one. Communication was they big factor in last nights loss. It is so important. No one was talking.

Raper's biggest blunder was coaching them to play up the guts. They got smashed up the middle every time. Why were weren't go two off the ruck is beyond me. Everyone knows Canberra are too good in the middle of the park. It's a given.

As for selections.

Gallen. Should have started on the bench. Dumas did enough to retain his spot at 5/8th anyway. We shouldn't have to worry about that now.

Beattie. Clearly needs match fitness. PL for him.

Galloway did nothing to be dropped. He needs some agro though. When guys were getting smashed he should have grit his teeth and said, fug that I'm bigger than you.

Swapping Goldie. Don't understand that either.

Once again, defensively, there was no communication. Pray that Peachey comes back soon.

I dont know :? . Canberra were up very quickly though werent they :( . I was disagree with changing Goldie's side etc as having a major effect on our loss. And if the defensive line did come up, how can we be sure it was Rapers fault, maybe the cold weather played a role, who knows :?

millersnose

Post Whore
it was quite clear the defensive line was different from previous games

but i think it was laziness rather than game plan

look at the kickchase

Macca

Coach
I don't think they were lazy. I just don't think they had anyone telling them what to do. Which is terrible in itself. When there is no leader to follow, their is no direction. When there is no direction, their is only one thing to do. Stand still.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
If it waslaziness Millers then there are some huge problems.
theyreally did not take one step off the line to move up. Raiders made 60 metres every set.

beekershark

Bench
Rapers only "blunder" was being too conservative in my opinion, yes, in hindsight he could have started russel with better results having sully at hooker, but raper has said many times . even during the week that aitken is coming along, hardly sounding convinced in his ability. He obviously didnt want to throw him to the wolves and ruin his confidence.

AS I say, next time raper wil have learned from that and I think Aitken played his way into noddys replacement fulltime.

When there is no leader to follow, their is no direction. When there is no direction, their is only one thing to do. Stand still.

This is exactly what the problem was in attack and defence mainly at the start, defence didnt come up quick enough and attack just stood still, at stages it was embarrasing the way they just stood their waiting for the ball :? . NOw NOddy is gone for 3 -4 weeks Aitken will have an opportu ity to prove himself, I think we will be a great replacement and hopefully by the time BK comes back he will have earnt a position in the team at 5/8.

brumal

Juniors
blacktip-reefy said:
What was the use of playing Sully at half for the first 20 minutes? Aitken could have had the time to warm to the occasion As it was it wasn't until the 50th minute that he did..

All good in hindsight.

blacktip-reefy said:
Galloway? Was Williams injured or is there a bigger issue there?.

Isemonger came in for Galloway because of his blinder last week against the Broncos.

blacktip-reefy said:
Swapping Goldie to the right side? Why? To keep kent & Franze together?

Yep

blacktip-reefy said:
Beattie. 8 weeks is a long time for a front Rower to come back & start a game. Too long.

Williams might have been a better option, he was dropped from the bench with Reece Williams.

blacktip-reefy said:
They ripped us to shreds around the ruck.

Been happening alot all year. Against the Dragons specifically. Players too slow and dropping off too many tackes. Opposition players have lots in support but when we make breaks there is usually nobody there.

carinashark

First Grade
I noticed players getting in the way of each other in tackles in the middle ( Beattie and sully on one occasion that led to an easy try for Canberra) . This still happens when we play well. I would like to see us have a dedicated 'Defensive coach'. Perhapse even a "Attack coach' as well. Or call them consultants, but call them now!
Carinashark

I think there may be a bigger issue with Williams. Apparently he went after Jeremy Smith again at Carmens on saturday night. He is just too much of a loose cannon and i dont think the club is gonna tolerate it too much longer.

Latest posts