What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rating Freddy After 3 Seasons-

Reflector

Juniors
After 3 Origin Series, this is what I make of Freddy's tenure so far:

PRO'S:

* Not afraid of dropping good players if their attitude isn't right (Mitchell last series, Klemmer this series)

* Understands the psychological aspect of Origin and it's importance as much as talent and physicality. Say what you like about his stance on meditation, training barefoot and players walking to the game, he at least acknowledges that in a high pressure series like Origin, having the right mindset in your squad is crucial.

* Whether related to the above point or not, he's instilled a mental fortitude in the side that wasn't there under Daley. Game 2 2018 was won on grit, and the decide last year was won on belief and keeping composure when they (mentally) could've crumbled with Qld's late fightback. Even last night, NSW were resolute in their defence and showed grit to defend wave after wave of Qld attack.

CON'S:

* Freddy can be swayed more by players having the right attitude/ having done the job in the past rather than their current form or ability. Wade Graham is a guy I've been critical of in the past but he should've been in this Blues squad 100%.

* Picking players out of position, sorely obvious this series just gone

* His selections on the bench. Pap would've been a godsend last night to slot in for Teddy, and why no extra front-row forwards?

Overall I'm content with Freddy to stay in the NSW coaching role for the time being, but after the 2021 series (which I assume will be back in the traditional time-slot and format) it'll be worth re-evaluating him then.

davi

Juniors
I know it was considered a big upset, but to be fair this series had different circumstances then usual. Wayne Bennett with all his experience probably handled the circumstances better then Brad Fittler.

Fittler may have the benefit of NSW depth but he has the gall to make a decision. He made seven changes after NSW loss in Game 1 last year which paid off so he isn't afraid to back himself. Some have suggested Mal Meninga relies more on assistants and probably was able to get away with a nucleus during QLD's dominance.

Fittler generally gets a past mark though. NSW were absolutely miserable after there choke after the 2017 series. Fittler has generally lifted NSW fans morale after two series wins and done what he was asked from him in terms of changing the culture that Laurie Daley was criticised after his tenure.

I've read Fittler wants to return to NRL coaching one day. I've seen its been suggested he has blown those chances after this loss. Fittler isn't a hot commodity but I don't think this loss completely rules him out either. State of Origin is a different beast to coaching club football. He's last coaching stint with the Roosters finished over ten years ago. It wasn't the greatest stint, but then again it wasn't the worst either.

Reflector

Juniors
I know it was considered a big upset, but to be fair this series had different circumstances then usual. Wayne Bennett with all his experience probably handled the circumstances better then Brad Fittler.

Fittler may have the benefit of NSW depth but he has the gall to make a decision. He made seven changes after NSW loss in Game 1 last year which paid off so he isn't afraid to back himself. Some have suggested Mal Meninga relies more on assistants and probably was able to get away with a nucleus during QLD's dominance.

Fittler generally gets a past mark though. NSW were absolutely miserable after there choke after the 2017 series. Fittler has generally lifted NSW fans morale after two series wins and done what he was asked from him in terms of changing the culture that Laurie Daley was criticised after his tenure.

I've read Fittler wants to return to NRL coaching one day. I've seen its been suggested he has blown those chances after this loss. Fittler isn't a hot commodity but I don't think this loss completely rules him out either. State of Origin is a different beast to coaching club football. He's last coaching stint with the Roosters finished over ten years ago. It wasn't the greatest stint, but then again it wasn't the worst either.

Were it not for their last gasp victory in Game 3 of the 2016 series (after getting a massive leg-up from the ref all game) Daley would surely have been sacked. And (as a result) surely NSW win that series in 2017. Everything NSW dished up from h/t onwards in that series eclipses anything I saw from the Blues this series in terms of how poor it was...

The_Frog

First Grade
He's last coaching stint with the Roosters finished over ten years ago. It wasn't the greatest stint, but then again it wasn't the worst either.
When you take the Roosters to their only spoon of the past 50+ years, its considerably closer to the latter than the former. Especially when much the same personnel with Todd Carney recruited, would make the GF the following year under Brian Smith.

Last edited:

The_Frog

First Grade
At this point not having a coach at all would be more beneficial then having this dumb bastard at the helm.
I doubt he will be sacked after one series loss. But he does need more help with squad balance as his teams have been wacko from the start. I think he'll have learnt the hard lessons about sticking with out of form incumbents.

I doubt he will be sacked after one series loss. But he does need more help with squad balance as his teams have been wacko from the start. I think he'll have learnt the hard lessons about sticking with out of form incumbents.
Getting sacked after one series would be harsh for anyone but considering the circumstances it would be more then justified to be honest. How he lost to this Queensland team is beyond belief.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Freddy will definitely be there next year and will probably make some changes and pick the right type of players.

davi

Juniors
When you take the Roosters to their only spoon of the past 50+ years, its considerably closer to the latter than the former. Especially when much the same personnel with Todd Carney recruited, would make the GF the following year under Brian Smith.

Yeah but they were also terrible when he took over from Chris Anderson. He led them to a resurgence in 2007 where they won 63% of their remaining games. In 2008 they started hot of the blocks but I remember there form was tapering off at the end 2008 where they won 58% of their games- despite their form tapering they still qualified for the finals coming 4th. From memory it was around when Willie Mason did a knee injury where he was never quite the same after that. The last season it was all unravelling and he was let go. So like I said its not the best record but he did have his moments. I just don't think he is in the 'never hire again' category like Craig Coleman.

mongoose

Coach
Hard to judge... NSW have had a clearly stronger team than QLD during his tenure. This was a pretty bad series for NSW to lose. Daley was a shit house coach but at least he can say he was against QLD teams that had Smith, Thurston, Cronk etc... If NSW lose again in 2021 then Freddy has to go.

Valheru

Coach
The same thing that happened at the roosters under Fitler is happening at NSW.

He was good for the initial period, sparking life and something a bit different to the team. After the initial success it is a steep decline and NSW are best served moving in another direction.

Last edited:

Latest posts