What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rating Freddy After 3 Seasons-

^ Yeah the likes of Turbo, Latrell and Haynes are and was exceptional footballers. Last year proved that playing Gutherson in the centres was really a big mistake, he tried, but was out of his depth.

Sometimes, players in sport miss out on rep honours simply because there are others who are just that little bit better, it takes an experienced coach to see that. What we football tragics have to look past is our own favourites and journalists selling a player just to get their pieces printed. Was Paps ever going to play SOO, was Turbo ever going to push Teddy from fullback this season? No.

Using Paps as an example, he’s a fullback only, where would he honestly be in the pecking order to play fullback for NSW? I’d say he would be behind, Teddy, Turbo & Latrell. Why play him somewhere that he hasn’t played before. As I said, in all sports, someone misses out.

Reflector

Juniors
The thing I do like about Freddy is that he has instilled a new culture in this Blues side. He’s got a good balance between getting the players to understand the importance, but also has them very relaxed.
I don’t think he’s got many tactical bones in his body, and I’m sure even Paul Kent could have coached blues to a victory last night, but what he’s done for NSW in the past few years should not be understated.
Say what you like about some of his selections, but he almost always has the players mentally prepared to the level they need to be, and sticking to the game-plan. Rarely do NSW look flustered even when things aren't going their way.

Since he took over the NSW job, the only game where you could say the players didn't look fully prepared was Game 1 last series, which in itself was an unusual series. Even then they could've won that first game if f**kstick Kaufusi didn't grub it up and waste 30 seconds at the end and then f/t wasn't called right when Cleary was about to scoot the ball right on the NSW try line.

moffla

Bench
^ Yeah the likes of Turbo, Latrell and Haynes are and was exceptional footballers. Last year proved that playing Gutherson in the centres was really a big mistake, he tried, but was out of his depth.

Sometimes, players in sport miss out on rep honours simply because there are others who are just that little bit better, it takes an experienced coach to see that. What we football tragics have to look past is our own favourites and journalists selling a player just to get their pieces printed. Was Paps ever going to play SOO, was Turbo ever going to push Teddy from fullback this season? No.

Using Paps as an example, he’s a fullback only, where would he honestly be in the pecking order to play fullback for NSW? I’d say he would be behind, Teddy, Turbo & Latrell. Why play him somewhere that he hasn’t played before. As I said, in all sports, someone misses out.
Paps will definitley be a 14 at some point. Unlikely to be this series, but it's how he made his name at the Storm.

Danish

Referee
If nothing else surely the last 15 years of origin has shown coaches mean nothing. It’s all about the squad you have at your disposal.

yhe most successful coach in origin history is mal meninga. Freddy is on track to be our most successful blues coach. Both absolute failures as first grade coaches.plenty of talk about both of them that neither did any actual coaching in camp. Meninga had his assistants and Freddy seemingly just let’s the players set the game plan.

seems to me the most important thing for a state of origin coach is where the best players were born 20-25 years before you took the gig.

the only thing a coach can really influence is making the team worse through bonehead selections. See Freddy in 2020 picking Gutho in the centres.

Sparktrader

Juniors
If nothing else surely the last 15 years of origin has shown coaches mean nothing. It’s all about the squad you have at your disposal.

yhe most successful coach in origin history is mal meninga. Freddy is on track to be our most successful blues coach. Both absolute failures as first grade coaches.plenty of talk about both of them that neither did any actual coaching in camp. Meninga had his assistants and Freddy seemingly just let’s the players set the game plan.

seems to me the most important thing for a state of origin coach is where the best players were born 20-25 years before you took the gig.

the only thing a coach can really influence is making the team worse through bonehead selections. See Freddy in 2020 picking Gutho in the centres.
Meninga hopeless coach in nrl. Players win Origin not coach. Coach just needs to pick the right players.

Reflector

Juniors
Bumping this-

If Freddy is replaced I hope his successor doesn't burn the whole thing down and start again. I'd like to see the walk to the stadium/ barefoot training/ meditation stuff kept as a tradition because Origin isn't the same as the NRL in terms of preparation. You look at Qld in the first couple of decades and there was that consistency there to Origin camp, led by 'Tosser' Turner. It was how they built that culture and players could come in making their debut and feel part of something that was established, making it much easier for them to settle in.

So if Freddy is replaced I hope his role is taken on by somebody who appreciates that psychological aspect of Origin like Freddy has (say what you want about his game plans or selections, but the Blues defence under pressure has been mostly commendable since he took over in 2018, even earning the praise of many a proud Maroon). However it would be nice to see a coach who opts for selecting the best players/ proven performers in each position and developing the gameplan that allows those players to excel.

Perth Red

Post Whore
On paper they should have walked that series. They didn't, heads must roll. Selection committee is probably a good start point.

mongoose

Coach
1995. 2001, 2020 and 2022 show that having the best players to pick from doesn't mean shit.... although I don't believe coaching has a big affect on the result either...