What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ravalava

Spazer

Juniors
If you watched the trials he actually made some strong runs/kick returns, and he has a good passing game. It's easy to see he has potential in attack he is just wildly inconsistent and can't hold onto the ball.

I think his best quality is getting us on the front foot from kick returns, but that's only if he can catch the kicks in the first place.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
If you watched the trials he actually made some strong runs/kick returns, and he has a good passing game. It's easy to see he has potential in attack he is just wildly inconsistent and can't hold onto the ball.

I think his best quality is getting us on the front foot from kick returns, but that's only if he can catch the kicks in the first place.
Haha true dat.

boardlumps62

Juniors
Our problem won't be Rav we just need wingers to catch and run and stay in field when attacking. For them to get the ball that is the question. And in defence nearly forgot. For f*cksake stay on your wing if there's an overlap thats your problem if they run inside you it might not be your problem. Don't we have a wing coach out there something should have learnt at a young age.

Belta

Juniors
The two winger for round one will be
JP and Rav

I admit the handling of both wingers has been a bug bear of mine, however if I’m honest their most recent form has been good and I’d also assume they’d be our starting wingers. I do however feel in time Saab, with his height advantage may see him edge out one of our wingers and also Ramsey’s shown glimpses of the talent he possesses and could be in the mix

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I admit the handling of both wingers has been a bug bear of mine, however if I’m honest their most recent form has been good and I’d also assume they’d be our starting wingers. I do however feel in time Saab, with his height advantage may see him edge out one of our wingers and also Ramsey’s shown glimpses of the talent he possesses and could be in the mix
JP's handling is decent he dropped a few prior to being dropped but he is pretty fearless, Rava is more of a concern. One thing I will say is if Aitken is the right centre Rava is a must because he won't be getting any good ball so is going to need his power to get over and we will need him to make metres coming out of trouble. If we had a really slick centre I would lean towards Saab who would be totally wasted atm. We have no creativity to kick to him, he won't get crisp passes and he's not quite up to smashing it out of our own end. Outside say a Manu id take Saab but Aitken is no Manu.

Belta

Juniors
JP's handling is decent he dropped a few prior to being dropped but he is pretty fearless, Rava is more of a concern. One thing I will say is if Aitken is the right centre Rava is a must because he won't be getting any good ball so is going to need his power to get over and we will need him to make metres coming out of trouble. If we had a really slick centre I would lean towards Saab who would be totally wasted atm. We have no creativity to kick to him, he won't get crisp passes and he's not quite up to smashing it out of our own end. Outside say a Manu id take Saab but Aitken is no Manu.

I agree our wingers are fairly robust and have shown they can get across the line but my hope is sometime in the near future (starting from 2021 or before) our current wingers and centres are upgraded with more naturally talented players. Many of ours seemed to have reached their ceiling which more often than not seems below what the top tier deliver.

Dragonsamy

Bench

Agree.
With Saab he will need a month or so but sould be ready after that.
With Ramsey he has not played against fully grown men before he needs to have at least half of season doing that and then we'll see how it goes. You put him into early he will continually to be injured he needs to build up his upper body strength without losing space. I think he will eventually be a full back and Lomax will move to the centres

Last edited:

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I agree our wingers are fairly robust and have shown they can get across the line but my hope is sometime in the near future (starting from 2021 or before) our current wingers and centres are upgraded with more naturally talented players. Many of ours seemed to have reached their ceiling which more often than not seems below what the top tier deliver.
Yeah I’d be lying if I said ours looks like a premiership backline. Besides the halves I can’t think of a team below us.

j0nesy

Bench
Our wingers, and centres for that matter, are mostly bog average, that includes Periera, who is getting a lot of love for 4 gimme tries against a Knights reserve team.

We’d have nothin to lose in giving the Feagai brothers and Saab a full season. My backline would be Lomax, Feagai, Feagai, Wiliame, Saab. We’d struggle a bit with kick returns without the big blokes but the Feagai’s will continue to bulk up. They’re currently 96 and 98kg. Lomax looks a lot bigger this season too and Saab will continue to bulk up. Full season for the lot of them. They can’t do worse than what we’ve got.

Belta

Juniors
Thanks DS for those updates. IMO Rav (and JP) will need to show progression this season to justify further contract extensions. Short of that occurring I’m hoping to see selections based on form and to see more of Saab and if possible consideration given to promoting some of our other youngsters in Leui of a mini over haul from 2021.

I do note our wingers at present are disadvantaged in having poor service from the halves and centres. The wingers will have to do the simple things well until our game management and kick execution, improves. In fact those aspects of our game have often made everyone else’s job soo much harder.

Belta

Juniors
I don't know, Pereira-Aitken-Lafai-Ravalaw kinda has the look of a reserve grade winning backline.

Hard to disagree, and the flow on is that players like Friz and Vaughan bust their gut futilely hitting the ball up only to see the halves put a #hi#= kick in or for the ball to die a slow death in our backline, or for the opposition to score uncontested out wide. The solutions maybe that the responsible players improve or the responsible players are replaced or we suffer another disappointing year and if it’s the latter than you wonder how much our ‘better’ players take before they want out.