What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd.13 v Bulldogs - Origin Time

Fangs

Coach
Gould made the point in 2021 that Penrith were still learning how to get through the rep season. Teams like the Roosters, Storm and Broncos have been doing it for 20 years with high representation.

I'm a lot more confident in the team named on Friday night compared to our games against the Tigers and Sharks last year. I think we will win this one.

Iamback

Coach
Gould made the point in 2021 that Penrith were still learning how to get through the rep season. Teams like the Roosters, Storm and Broncos have been doing it for 20 years with high representation.

I'm a lot more confident in the team named on Friday night compared to our games against the Tigers and Sharks last year. I think we will win this one.

Even though we had elite results. A few times over the past few years Ivan has made rookie errors

Last years' Origin period was one of them. Glad to see he has learnt

Original Name

Juniors
So why wouldn’t you give Salmon time in those positions when you have the opportunity to do so? Rather than playing Falls who is 4th choice and won’t get a sniff unless we get some significant injuries.
What I want from a utlity at the minimum in case of injuries is to do their job in defence and draw and pass to finish off easy overlaps, run hard, tackle hard and try hard. I'm not expecting him to play great no matter how much he plays at centre or five eight. He's not going to have brilliantly quick hands throw awesome cuts outs but if he can do his job at the minimum the gun players can take care of the rest of the attack, combined with the team's awesome defence should be enough to give us a shot of winning regardless of who we're playing.

Kilkenny

Coach
I’m happy for Kurt Falls to get a debut, it is a reward for his hard toil.

Playing Ron Massey Cup not to long back so to get to this stage is just reward for his commitment and determination.

I hope he has a really solid debut. Well done to Kurt.

I am looking forward to seeing his jersey presentation video, they are always good value.

So why wouldn’t you give Salmon time in those positions when you have the opportunity to do so? Rather than playing Falls who is 4th choice and won’t get a sniff unless we get some significant injuries.
Legitimate question; if Salmon was to play does one game in R13 count as playing time further down the line?

I noticed we had Salmon slot into backline shifts a few times against the Cows/Storm (can't remember which) and he was atrocious. No interest in him as an NRL halves option, he's a sturdy enough edge forward for 15 minutes and can be a mediocre halves/edge plug when injuries strike. Ideally we upgrade that position when the right player emerges.
If you are talking about the Cows game when he came on and took over Critta during his HIA, we are watching different games. Thought he did well during those minutes; carried well and made his tackles.

During the Storm game he got less than 10mins at 6 when the game was already won. The cue was already in the rack (had been for 15mins) and the go-forward had gone. As such, he got caught with the ball a few times in attack. But he wasn’t atrocious, and he did no worse that Luai had done in the preceding 10 mins to him going off (albeit the total body of work for Luai that game was outstanding).

Salmon is doing a job and I think he is well suited to it. And this is SOO where you get a superstar at 14; in the construct of a side like ours the 14 is going to be a near minimum wage type player. There are a few other 14s in the comp that look good, but are more expensive and don’t defend half as well.

martielang

Bench
Legitimate question; if Salmon was to play does one game in R13 count as playing time further down the line?

It probably doesn't if it's one game alone, however you'd think if he performs at a solid level it should give him a bit of confidence which would allow us the opportunity to rest Luai or Cleary over the next couple of months while also building up the fitness/confidence of a player within our 17 (which Falls isn't).

In saying all this, if Salmon gets 40min+ off the bench this week, I can understand the Falls selection.

EDIT: I just watched the jersey presentation. I take back everything I said. Falls for captain/coach.

Last edited:

martielang

Bench
What I want from a utlity at the minimum in case of injuries is to do their job in defence and draw and pass to finish off easy overlaps, run hard, tackle hard and try hard. I'm not expecting him to play great no matter how much he plays at centre or five eight. He's not going to have brilliantly quick hands throw awesome cuts outs but if he can do his job at the minimum the gun players can take care of the rest of the attack, combined with the team's awesome defence should be enough to give us a shot of winning regardless of who we're playing.

That's all good and well if you don't get any injuries during the game and having a utility on the bench becomes a luxury, but if we have a player go down early I doubt any utility is going to perform to any level if they've been averaging 6 mins a week.

betcats

Referee
That's all good and well if you don't get any injuries during the game and having a utility on the bench becomes a luxury, but if we have a player go down early I doubt any utility is going to perform to any level if they've been averaging 6 mins a week.

A couple starts for Salmon now over origin probably isnt going to make much of a difference come finals time if there is an injury to one of the halves mid game. Falls deserves a run, he and SOS have been playing well together and Falls has a very good kicking game and is a great goal kicker, our two first choice goal kickers will be missing so that is factor considering this is a very winnable game even without the origin players.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Losing 22-0

Shows plenty of work for the younger guys

Dragons I imagine would be close to full strength. From what I can see Penrith have numerous cup boys in the team because of regular flegg boys being put up because of origin.

This won't harm them at all.

Iamback

Coach
Sloan
Sullivan
Hunt
Gosiewski
Burgess
Fuimaono

all playing for Dragons

Soni Luke 2 try assists
We are up 10-4 after 17 mins