What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd.18 v WT

globalpanther

Juniors
Ill start early (barring injuries touch wood).
Dyl
TMay
Tago
RJenn
Turuva
Falls
SOS
Leota
Kenny/Luke
JFH
Kikau
CSmith
Eiso

Kenny/Luke
Soro
Leniu
Salmon
18.Jenkins/LSmith

Iamback

Coach
Given Jennings is leaving. I would go Jenkins as centre.

I think Luke to start. Kenny in his normal role but can cover if Luke needs to go off

Iamback

Coach
Spencer's last 5 games

1 run
3 runs
12 runs
0 runs
6 runs

4.4 runs a game on average.
In that same period he average 22.4 mins of game time
ave 45.4m a game.

So he makes an impact when he gets involved. Getting him involved is the problem

Girds89

Bench
Spencer's last 5 games

1 run
3 runs
12 runs
0 runs
6 runs

ave 45.4m a game.

So he makes an impact when he gets involved. Getting him involved is the problem

Its all to do with how we attack though.

By the time he gets on we are normally dominating field possesion and the ruck.

So the need for him to cart it out of our end for big carries is neglected. The outside backs and dyl do the heavy lifting for us.

And when we are in the attacking 50 the props rarely see the ball. It goes api to yeo and we shift side to side.

Id really love to see him get more involved too but i think that means allowing him a bit more freedom.

When he gets on and our attack is in sync he is either the dummy runner and it goes out the back to yeo or ge plays off yeos hip for a crash run.

Why not let him stand 3 or 4 wide of the ruck and have him running of nath or luai?

Imagine teams trying to defend kiks and spencer on a big spread play to the left with both of the standing on an edge sprinting onto it and luai picking one to hit or going out the back....

Hes never going to be an edge player because he just doesnt have the fitness or lateral mobility to defend there. But he is sctuslly wuite wuick in a straight line and has a good step and great leg speed and we know his power....

One on one with a half theyd be no chance.

Think how nice it would be seeing us near the right touch line on the attacking 20 and api to yeo to nath to luai with edwards on his inside hip and spencer running the crash line on the out hip and kiks the link man out back ready to pass to tago and too.....

Leaves luai with 5 options.
Himself
Edwards on the inside
Spencer short
Kiks out the back
Or a kick ti the wing if theyve jammed in to try stop kiks and spencer...

Right now he just stands near the ruck and barely gets the ball.

Lets use him a bit differently.

People forget how young he is. Compared to where some other props were at his age he is doing really well.. he is still learning and it takes a fair amount of time for young nrl propd to become nrl match fit as a prop.

Iamback

Coach

So the need for him to cart it out of our end for big carries is neglected. The outside backs and dyl do the heavy lifting for us.

And when we are in the attacking 50 the props rarely see the ball. It goes api to yeo and we shift side to side.

Id really love to see him get more involved too but i think that means allowing him a bit more freedom.

When he gets on and our attack is in sync he is either the dummy runner and it goes out the back to yeo or ge plays off yeos hip for a crash run.

Why not let him stand 3 or 4 wide of the ruck and have him running of nath or luai?

Imagine teams trying to defend kiks and spencer on a big spread play to the left with both of the standing on an edge sprinting onto it and luai picking one to hit or going out the back....

Hes never going to be an edge player because he just doesnt have the fitness or lateral mobility to defend there. But he is sctuslly wuite wuick in a straight line and has a good step and great leg speed and we know his power....

Think how nice it would be seeing us near the right touch line on the attacking 20 and api to yeo to nath to luai with edwards on his inside hip and spencer running the crash line on the out hip and kiks the link man out back ready to pass to tago and too.....

Himself
Edwards on the inside
Spencer short
Kiks out the back

People forget how young he is. Compared to where some other props were at his age he is doing really well.. he is still learning and it takes a fair amount of time for young nrl propd to become nrl match fit as a prop.

Game situation sees him play less minutes sometimes too. Like on the weekend we needed defence so Kenny was more use. How to use Spencer better is the biggest issue the squad has moving forward

Thirsty Panther

Juniors

Himself
Edwards on the inside
Spencer short
Kiks out the back

Nicely explained.
Webster has left us.
Fancy the attacking coach job?

betcats

Referee

Himself
Edwards on the inside
Spencer short
Kiks out the back

Our backs do most of the carting out of our own end. Starting a set deep in our own half we will regularly get 3 or 4 hitups from outside backs. Fish and moses have plenty of hitups inside the attacking 50 metres, to say our props rarely see the ball inside the attacking 50 is just wrong. A set starting on the 50 metre line will almost certainly start with forwards hitting the ball up before we go to an edge, around 50 or 40 metres out is where we use our props the most. Even 20 to 30 metres out Fish and Moses get plenty of touches.

Kenny and sorenson both play as props when they come on and manage to get runs, I dont think Spencers lack of runs has much to do with our field position or our attacking setup.

Last edited:

BxTom

Bench
Spencer's last 5 games

1 run
3 runs
12 runs
0 runs
6 runs

ave 45.4m a game.

In the game where he made 0 runs, wasn't he only on when we didn't have the ball?

Girds89

Bench
Our backs do most of the carting out of our own end. Starting a set deep in our own half we will regularly get 3 or 4 hitups from outside backs. Fish and moses have plenty of hitups inside the attacking 50 metres, to say our props rarely see the ball inside the attacking 50 is just wrong. A set starting on the 50 metre line will almost certainly start with forwards hitting the ball up before we go to an edge, around 50 or 40 metres out is where we use our props the most. Even 20 to 30 metres out Fish and Moses get plenty of touches.

Kenny and sorenson both play as props when they come on and manage to get runs, I dont think Spencers lack of runs has much to do with our field position or our attacking setup.

Yes but they start!!!

I think you missed my point.

That is how we play generally the first 20 or so. We just grind teams down until they break.

Its after that they we get expansive and play more edge to edge and that coincides with the time spencers on the field.

Yes no doubt he needs to look for work more but it is 100% not in the game plan to give him the ball for a hit up when generally by 30 to 40 mins in we are scoring at ease any time we go to an edge!

Youll hear commentators every week talk about how penrith barely have any "set up plays" in attack. We literally are attacking almost every oppurtunity.

But we dont start games like that. We normally like to really grind teams the first quarter and thats enough to break teams because we are pretty flawless in attack and when we finish a set on their goal line our line speed in defence is unmatched and freakish. It literally breaks teams.

Thats when we flick the switch and play more expansive.

Spencer needs to be allowed the freedom to get more involved but right now by the time he generally gets on he is just filling the pieces out there.

Girds89

Bench
Nicely explained.
Webster has left us.
Fancy the attacking coach job?
Haha i wish. Would do it for free.

Thinking peter wallace will be the next man up and deserves his shot.

Would just love to see us be smart with spencer.

He has the ability to be something really special.

Hes still so young. I think it will be another 2 or 3 years before we really start to see the best of him. Just takes time for 99% of young props to develop. Literally the only execption is probably Payne Haas.

betcats

Referee
Yes but they start!!!

I think you missed my point.

That is how we play generally the first 20 or so. We just grind teams down until they break.

Its after that they we get expansive and play more edge to edge and that coincides with the time spencers on the field.

Yes no doubt he needs to look for work more but it is 100% not in the game plan to give him the ball for a hit up when generally by 30 to 40 mins in we are scoring at ease any time we go to an edge!

Youll hear commentators every week talk about how penrith barely have any "set up plays" in attack. We literally are attacking almost every oppurtunity.

But we dont start games like that. We normally like to really grind teams the first quarter and thats enough to break teams because we are pretty flawless in attack and when we finish a set on their goal line our line speed in defence is unmatched and freakish. It literally breaks teams.

Thats when we flick the switch and play more expansive.

Spencer needs to be allowed the freedom to get more involved but right now by the time he generally gets on he is just filling the pieces out there.

The lack of set up plays the commentators are talking about are usually when we are attacking 10 metres out from the line, and yes I get we dont have many prop hit ups in that zone. But from 50 metres out our props starting or from bench get plenty of touches.

Even when we are dominating field position as we usually do all the other middle forwards whether they started or came off the bench find a way to have more touches then Spencer does.

His lack of runs is simply due to a lack of minutes that seems fairly obvious to me, its nothing to do with our setup imo he simply isnt on the field long enough, all the other middles get more minutes than he does. Why he isnt getting minutes is the real question. Even the weeks ciraldo coached 1 week he gave him 30 minutes plus and the next week it was like 10 minutes or maybe less. I dont know if it is attitude or fitness or lack of commitment to defence but he is doing or not doing something that the coaches dont like.

Girds89

Bench
Game situation sees him play less minutes sometimes too. Like on the weekend we needed defence so Kenny was more use. How to use Spencer better is the biggest issue the squad has moving forward
As im sure you know i was pretty vocal about how bog average salmon was in the pre season but hes done everything asked of him and been really good imo.

Im not sure whether hes a better option on the bench tho than c smith or eiso. Wont know unless ivan tries different combos.

And yes kenny isnt flashy but man hes a rock solid defender in the middle and i think hes been really stromg as a middles forward. Hes leg speed helps him beat bigger men.

Not sure ivans got the rotation right atm but people need to stop bagging kenny and salmon.

I was wrong about salmon.

People should maybe blame ivan for not being willing to try things on the bench.

And i agree re spencer. We need to find a way to get him more involved. I really like the idea of him spending time out wide with kiks in attack. Itd be hard for teams to stop.

Girds89

Bench
The lack of set up plays the commentators are talking about are usually when we are attacking 10 metres out from the line, and yes I get we dont have many prop hit ups in that zone. But from 50 metres out our props starting or from bench get plenty of touches.

Even when we are dominating field position as we usually do all the other middle forwards whether they started or came off the bench find a way to have more touches then Spencer does.

His lack of runs is simply due to a lack of minutes that seems fairly obvious to me, its nothing to do with our setup imo he simply isnt on the field long enough, all the other middles get more minutes than he does. Why he isnt getting minutes is the real question. Even the weeks ciraldo coached 1 week he gave him 30 minutes plus and the next week it was like 10 minutes or maybe less. I dont know if it is attitude or fitness or lack of commitment to defence but he is doing or not doing something that the coaches dont like.
No doubt lack of mins of course.

Fatigue and fitness is his biggest issue atm. He gets tired very quick and is a real concern around the ruck in d. Than that fatigue stops him from having more runs.

But honestly by the time he normally gets on we are just hammering teams. How often do we see edwards take a catch and get tackled for tackle one near the 50m line... than tiny and too take a run and we are right in the attacking zone and hes just not needed.

Im not saying he couldnt look for work nore or that he doesnt need to really improve his fitness. He does need to do both.

But right now i think we either look to use him differently as i suggested OR... drop him back to ressies like i said 3 weeks ago.

Make him play 65mins a week in ressies and he can come back up in rd 24 or something with much more game fitnesses.

Girds89

Bench
As for tiges game rest all of them.

Dyl
Staines
Tiny (lets see what he can do in the centres)
Tago
Turuva
Falls
Sos
Leota
Luke
Fish
Smith
Kiks
Eiso

Kenny
Spencer