What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd.2 v Eels

PennyPanthers81

Juniors
Shades of last year. Clunky but everything is there. Tago was immense.
Disappointed that Laurie didn't get on the pitch, he couldn't have been any worse than Luai. I guess he's going to have a lot of time there now.

Iamback

Coach
Takeaways:

Execution - there were about 5 or 6 bombed tries easily. Boys will get better but still sloppy when it comes to finishing touches.

Goal Line Defence - very unusual and unlike Panthers in that first half. 3 soft tries let in.

Tago - killed it all night and that’s including some bombed opportunities.

Luai - average game. Borderline not up to standard first half with ill discipline. Not sure if it’s him easing back into the game after his shoulder reconstruction but it wasn’t great.

Fisher-Harris - any update on his injury?

Leota - awesome performance. Pick of the forwards.

Bench Forwards - all played their role nicely and I think it was as good of a rotation as it’ll probably get this season.

Edwards, Kenny and May - tiredness workers. All put in a shift. Kennys was sublime, great to see him back controlling the ruck.

Attack - even with all the bombed tries, the fact they created so many opportunities was great to see. Now to just ice them! This game should have been 48-12 no joke.

Yeo - can do anything. What a deft kick. He is invaluable. Not only the premier lock on the game but he does things other locks can’t.

Next Week - Plenty to work on. I’m sure they all know this.

The 3rd try they scored was an error having Smith and Henry standing next to each other. That won't happen again

mxlegend99

Referee
Romey, better in the second half, but not good enough tonight. He’ll be spending a few weeks on the sidelines.

Shitty clunky win. But I’ll take it.
I hope he gets suspended. But he will only get fined. Because that is all he deserves.

Really disappointed he stunk it up costing us the first half. Yet Ivan had Laurie on bench and didnt use him.

The way Ivan mentions previous Panthers players like Burto, Kiks, Critta, Capes and Api in that post game press conference shows how much evolution the squad has had and highlights just how amazing their run has been.

Plus you can tell it’s very much once a Panther, always a Panther mentality and stays close to the heart for Ivan and the squad. Great to see.

Iamback

Coach
Shades of last year. Clunky but everything is there. Tago was immense.
Disappointed that Laurie didn't get on the pitch, he couldn't have been any worse than Luai. I guess he's going to have a lot of time there now.

We don't win the comp without Luai being in form, He is going to take time but way to make such a big change

I reckon most of the people on this forum could carve up Morgan Harper. So of course we are going right, It makes it hard for the left to shine in such cases

kinghippo

Juniors
It was an off the ball shot that hurt the Fish.
parra should of had a man in the bin.
Hopefully the match review gets them.

kinghippo

Juniors
Funny old game but I thought it was a great improvement from last week.

We obviously didn’t capitalise on our opportunities but we used the backline much more than we had for the last two games, and didn’t just hand the ball over on the 5th continuously.

Poor handling kept the eels in it but we were well in control for most of the game.

Kilkenny

Coach
The lowlight tonight was taking over an hour to get out of the paceway car park.

in respect of the game, it was a hard fought contest.

We really should have been leading by handy margin at HT. Bombed further try scoring opportunities in the second half as well.

The work our 1- 5 do just cannot be underestimated.

snickers007

Juniors
Some random thoughts from me:
- I loved the way we absolutely went after their makeshift left edge after Simonsen went off. Lots of clean, early ball to Tago was beautiful to see

- Really liked the look of Liam Henry tonight. He played a little wider than a traditional prop, mostly running off a half or Yeo, and angling back behind the ruck. Seemed to run a long way before contact on every touch.

- Our completions look poor from a statistical perspective, but a lot of our dropped ball came in the process of making a break or potentially scoring points. So while we handed over a lot of ball, it was normally at the right end of the field.

- Absolutely hated seeing Edwards put his hand on Cartwright's face when he wouldn't release the ball. Just an ugly, unnecessary, dumb thing to do. No damage done thankfully, and Carty did get him with a bit of a get square a few minutes later. But I just hate it.

- Really liked how we nullified the potential to concede any downtown offside penalties. Cleary was kicking past the advantage line all night long, which eliminates the penalty completely. Very clever.

- Thought the Eels scrambled in defence very well, just like the Storm did last week. The difference however is that we managed to convert more of those opportunities into points this week. Still room for improvement obviously, but the fact that we're creating so many half/quarter chances is a great sign. And everytime we bust through and get cut down, we learn from it, and do things a bit different the next time.

- Very interested to see what we do if Fisher-Harris is out for an extended period. Larry Smith has obviously plied his trade over the last 18months, but anyone who has seen Henry play lower grades knows that he's a starter. Might also force Sorenson back to the bench for some leg speed and spark in the middle, which in turn will probably bring Geyer onto the bench. Or maybe we just bring in the Huth to plod.

- Happy with the win overall, despite some minor defensive lapses in the first half. Bring on the Broncos next week.

Kilkenny

Coach
Nice to get one up on the Eels during the regular season.

It was a fast high intensity contest. Players on both sides were out on there feet at various stages.

Obviously everyone talking about Tago, but Yeo and Kenny with over 50 tackles each, thought Nathan’s kicking game was very good and Dylan with a try, try assist and over 200 metres was outstanding. Listening to last nights commentary in the Bunnies v Broncos the Fox producers should have a word or two to Mick Ennis the talking up of Latrell is just over the top. He was very ordinary and as Dylan demonstrated tonight that is how the top fullbacks get the job done.

Latest posts