What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd. 25 - Parra vs. Manly GAME DAY THREAD 06/09/19

eel01s

Bench
I have totally given up on the bunker after they gave that second try to Manly.

Whoever the video ref was should be sacked.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
They have my photo at the gate now.
upload_2019-9-7_16-1-27-png.32821
Judith Sorenson.

EelsFan05

Bench
I have totally given up on the bunker after they gave that second try to Manly.

Whoever the video ref was should be sacked.
I honestly couldn't believe what I seen. I yelled every profanity in my playbook, until my seven year old daughter told me to sit down and shut up.

TheRam

Coach
For all this talk about Jennings not passing and being a 'ball hog' i reckon he is just really selective... if the guy outside him isnt in a better position or is likely to drop it or get taken over the sideline by the cover, why would you want him to pass it?

Or with age he has realised that he can't quite do the things he could before and to his credit he is now looking to pass it to the guy that can.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
He has always had more than twice as many linebreaks as try assists, other than his last year at the Chooks and his first year at the Eels. The difference is he is making fewer of either statistic these days: https://www.nrl.com/players/nrl-premiership/eels/michael-jennings/

If an outside back doesn't threaten the line himself he won't create much space for his supports. Just expecting him to pass more won't result in many breaks for the players around him. It'll just mean more hospital passes. Outside backs need to think run first and pass second.

TheRam

Coach
He has always had more than twice as many linebreaks as try assists, other than his last year at the Chooks and his first year at the Eels. The difference is he is making fewer of either statistic these days: https://www.nrl.com/players/nrl-premiership/eels/michael-jennings/

If an outside back doesn't threaten the line himself he won't create much space for his supports. Just expecting him to pass more won't result in many breaks for the players around him. It'll just mean more hospital passes. Outside backs need to think run first and pass second.

As usual you ignore what most others can see and statistics will never tell you. He, when younger, was prone to run and get tackled with the ball in hand, when the better option would have been to run draw and pass. Many a time his outside man would be left cold when the better option would have been to pass to him.

Whereas now he actually is looking to run AND pass in most situations.

Eelogical

Referee
As usual you ignore what most others can see and statistics will never tell you. He, when younger, was prone to run and get tackled with the ball in hand, when the better option would have been to run draw and pass. Many a time his outside man would be left cold when the better option would have been to pass to him.

As long as the other backs are onto this so they can take advantage of any opportunities he creates. Obviously they know he's likely to get run down so they have to be more alert when he's got the ball in his hands.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Graham Annesley weekly football briefing - Round 25
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/09/graham-annesley-weekly-football-briefing---round-25/

- Alvaro should have been penalised for holding onto Taupau rather then us getting penalty for incorrect play the ball.
- Manly’s second try should not have been awarded. The play should have stopped as Moeroa may stripped the ball with 2 in the tackle, so penalty. Or when Moeroa stripped the ball he knocked it on, and then re-gathered the ball. Either action means play could not continue and there should have been a manly penalty / scrum
- interestingly I thought the bunker did say there was 2 in the tackle when the stripped occurred. Additionally if Moeroa knocks it on stripping the ball, the manly player did too (as gutho argued). So the bunker had no idea!!

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

Actually the stats do show number of runs and passes. My point is that passing more doesn't mean he's a better player. Running is the low risk option, and the chance of a linebreak or quick play-the-ball is preferable to the chance of a linebreak or a dropped pass under pressure.

Last edited:

Eelogical

Referee
Graham Annesley weekly football briefing - Round 25
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/09/graham-annesley-weekly-football-briefing---round-25/

- Alvaro should have been penalised for holding onto Taupau rather then us getting penalty for incorrect play the ball.
- Manly’s second try should not have been awarded. The play should have stopped as Moeroa may stripped the ball with 2 in the tackle. Or when Moeroa stripped the ball he knocked it on, and then re-gathered the ball, meaning he knock it on. Either action means play could not continue.
- interestingly I thought the bunker did say there was 2 in the tackle when the stripped occurred. Additionally if Moeroa knocks it on stripping the ball, the manly player did too (as gutho argued). So the bunker had no idea!!
I can't argue with any of that. The Alvaro one was a game changer. Manly would have had 6 again, 15 metres out, with us having Evans in the bin if I remember correctly.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I can't argue with any of that. The Alvaro one was a game changer. Manly would have had 6 again, 15 metres out, with us having Evans in the bin if I remember correctly.

Not necessarily a game changer, as at that point they may not have only been 6 behind if the 2nd try wasn’t awarded.

yy_cheng

Coach
Actually the stats do show number of runs and passes. My point is that passing more doesn't mean he's a better player. Running is the low risk option, and the chance of a linebreak or quick play-the-ball is preferable to the chance of a linebreak or a dropped pass under pressure.
What about playing the advantage.?

Eelementary

Post Whore

We've copped some absolute howlers against us this year, so no sympathy from me!

84 Baby

Referee
Think the definite try which shouldn’t have been was more a game changer than the maybe try that could have been