What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd 3 Vs Broncos discussion Thread.

what a game , it had everything!

jennings will learn a lot from tonight marking hodges, still an excellent game for only his 2nd time round in first grade.

I hate to focus on the negatives but clinton really needs to sort out those dropsies.

this win should give the team some great confidence , its never easy beating the broncs at suncorp.

mxlegend99

Referee
This win would do more for the boys then if we had won by 30 IMO.

A massive confidence boost in coming from behind. Taught us to be disciplined when we needed to be. I think Wallace and Jennings will have learned a lot tonight. Jennings is going to have to work on his defence. Last week he was great, this week he was like playing a man down when it came to marking Hodges.

Great intercepts though. The kid can read plays pretty well. If he can learn to muscle up on guys who are bigger then him, he could steal Rookie of the year with ease. 3 tries in his first 2 games.

effnic

Bench
Best game i have seen in a very very long time and my team wasnt even in it. Weird.

flash

Juniors
I think the defence was great besides the marking of hodges, at 28-20 broncos had a lot of opportunities to score and put the game beyond doubt.

My only concern is ball security and the flat hospital passes to the big men. The one to Moors, 10m from the line that led to a hodges try was just ridiculous.

I was skeptical at start of season with Wallace, but his kicking game and defence is excellent.

Big Mick

Referee
I don't think Jennings was at fault to all 4 tries.

He was at fault in the first one...the second Wesser kind of took him out, the 3rd was an intercept, and the 4th he had a 4 man overlap to contend with.

IMO getting onto Jennings is unwarranted. He conceded 1...but scored 2...and put us in a position to contend the game when all was lost.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
Great display Panthers!
My review.
Jennings - is gonna be a superstar - he just needs to work on defence.
Gordon - well you can't blame him for missing some of those kicks but one was a simple kick but it was flagged away.
Wallace - hadn't seen much of him before this season and I thought that firman should be 5/8th but I was wrong. He has a good future.
Rooney - getting back into that form that got him playing origin in 04.
Wesser - was on fire.

Munky

Coach
How strange is it now that our right hand side defence is solid as a rock.

Since round 1 Wallace has tackled anything that moves and put them on the floor. His tackle on Thaiday was superb. Lewis no longer looks confused due to not having to cover for two turnstyles either side (Hookey, Presto and Amos). Gordon is just brilliant at stopping his man. Waterhouse (best defender in the game, I'm serious!!!) makes up the brick wall out there.

Our left hand side may have a few issues. Pritchard is still liable for the occasional shirt grab and Gower's defence isn't what it once was. Jennings is still an unknown quantity as Hodges is a freak when in form. Rooney is always solid.

On my Waterhouse comment I really do believe he is the best defender in the NRL. He has a great defensive brain and will make a tackle for the right situation. He also made the most one on one tackles back in 05 in the NRL despite being no where near the top tacklers list.

mightypanther

Juniors

We all know the guys need to figure out how to cut out the dropped balls, and how to get the most out of holding a tackled player without pushing it too far and causing unnecessary penalties, but overall the players are coming together well now.

They are beginning to master the most important parts of all........their mental attitiude and the will to win (as well as the hatred to lose), and the enthusiasm and fitness to stick a game out till the siren sounds (no matter how long that might be).

That's why I was so proud of them last night. They made some mistakes but they never put their heads down.....which they did often in recent years.

They kept their enthusiasm and determination going to the last second. That's what we want to see from the guys every week.....win or lose. Fight to the end.

I think Mick Gordon just had a hiccup tonight with the goal kicking. He's still young and it was a big ask up there with the massive noise and atmosphere that their crowds generate putting him off a bit, and I think it would easily have thrown Jennings off a little too, but both kept their heads high, and both got a couple of tries each........so good on 'em.

It would be great to see Jennings become as mastered one day as Girds was on the intercepts. I would love to see him carry off that kind of perfect timing on a regular basis.

And how good was it to watch them singing at the top of their lungs and stamping their feet in the dressing room? It was great to see Matt Elliott getting into the spirit of it as well. We all hope to see that scene many, many more times this season.

I can't wait for the Titans game.......it's going to be fantastic.

GO THE MIGHTY PENRITH PANTHERS ALL THE WAY ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Kilkenny

Coach
Great to beat the Bronco's and steal the two points considering we didn't pay anywhere near our best.

A lot of positives to come out of the game and there is a lot of improvement in us.

The balance of the bench is a bit of a concern and for mine Norrie should be brought in. He is very dependable, has high work rate and makes few mistakes which is precisely what we need for a 25 minute period before and after halftime.

Big Mick

Referee
Its gotta be Grant or Norrie imo.

Both Matty Bell and Matty Cross have shown to be a bit sub-standard in the first 3 rounds.

I wouldn't mind seeing Grant and Norrie on the bench, at the expense of Nathan Smith and Matty Bell this week.

14. Junior Moors
15. Tim Grant
16. Bryan Norrie
17. Paul Aiton

Dave Q

Coach
A historic match in several respects.

When sugar scampered over the line, I was bloody tired but I managed to raise a hooray.

Well done Panthers.

A result that should provide some tremendous confidence from ball-boy upwards.

Poor Hodges, best game of any player in several years (says bob Fulton) and he still loses.

Good to see Bennett squealing, that was the icing.

I may have underestimated youse.

Fibroman

First Grade
I must say, thus far, Cross and Bell don't seem to have improved on their 2006 form. Maybe it's time to give Tim Grant a shot at the big time? The return of Rodney Rude will place pressure on all the forwards to retain their spots.

murraymob

Coach
another option is norrie who is playing well in preimer league. By all reports had a huge game on the weekend against newtown

northwest9

Juniors
murraymob said:
another option is norrie who is playing well in preimer league. By all reports had a huge game on the weekend against newtown

apparently he got players player, its definately high time he got the call up, otherwise i fear we may lose him to another club, i think his contract is up this year, and we dont want to lose him

Latest posts