What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd.6 v Broncos

Smug Panther

First Grade
You’d expect our line speed, ruck dominance, discipline and kicking game will mean a huge amount of Broncos kicks under pressure inside the 30. There’s also an enormous gulf in class between the kicking games of DCE/Wighton/Williams/Hodgson and the Broncos halves. There’ll be much less pressure on Crichton and he should get some good opportunities returning the ball with a lot of room to hopefully get his confidence up.
Not the game situation I want to see Critter in. He's earning the big buck so prove why you deserve it

betcats

Referee
In the heat of the moment when the games live and the result is unknown our mistakes always seem a lot worse imo. I was blowing up at Critta when I was watching the game and saying we got to get him off but thats just emotion for the most part.

Look at Crittas mistakes, he’s not the first fullback to put a foot on the line trying to prevent a forty twenty and he’s certainly not the first first fullback to fumble a kick, even good fullbacks make these mistakes at times. Being caught out of position a couple times is worse but again its not exactly unheard of, the lack of urgency we saw IMO is not lack of effort its lack of confidence, he looked like he was worried about fumbling again instead of just attacking those grubbers which is what he had to do. He was definitely playing with some confidence in the second half I wouldnt be surprised to see him have a good game against the donkeys, I also won't be surprised if we see Charlie get a run there at some point, it can't hurt to look at our options in case Dylan goes down again.

franklin2323

Immortal
In the heat of the moment when the games live and the result is unknown our mistakes always seem a lot worse imo. I was blowing up at Critta when I was watching the game and saying we got to get him off but thats just emotion for the most part.

Look at Crittas mistakes, he’s not the first fullback to put a foot on the line trying to prevent a forty twenty and he’s certainly not the first first fullback to fumble a kick, even good fullbacks make these mistakes at times. Being caught out of position a couple times is worse but again its not exactly unheard of, the lack of urgency we saw IMO is not lack of effort its lack of confidence, he looked like he was worried about fumbling again instead of just attacking those grubbers which is what he had to do. He was definitely playing with some confidence in the second half I wouldnt be surprised to see him have a good game against the donkeys, I also won't be surprised if we see Charlie get a run there at some point, it can't hurt to look at our options in case Dylan goes down again.

I think Staines will get his turn there but I like the back 5 how it is now. No reason to change it.

I'd be looking at set moves to get Staines involved without having him have to face a defensive line or set our defence. Let him work on continuing to develop his wing play 1st

PANTHERMIKE

Juniors
We should win by 30 the next 3 weeks (Broncos, Knights,Manly) and Critta should build some confidence up in the #1 jersey. Just in time for him to move back into the centres, given his slow start to the year, this is only going to benfit everyone.

Jane Murray

Bench
Walters is desperate.

Broncos drop Milford as Walters looks to shake up struggling side

Author
Todd Balym
Timestamp
Mon 12 Apr 2021, 10:40 AM
Broncos playmaker Anthony Milford has been dropped after the team's 1-4 start to the season with Brodie Croft set to partner Tom Dearden in the halves.

Milford has been inconsistent at five-eighth over the first five rounds and was again below his best in last Thursday's heavy loss to South Sydney.

Croft, who has split the starting halfback duties with Dearden over the first five rounds, is likely to line up at five-eighth for Thursday's Suncorp Stadium clash with Telstra Premiership frontrunners Penrith.

age.s

First Grade
Definitely the right move for them. They're still probably going to get pumped, but Milford should have been dropped a long time ago.

chrisD

Coach
Crichton should be moved, he's not a fullback the same as Whare wasn't, and he sure needs the practice in his actual position. Burton should be fullback, the right side is going good and shouldn't be changed.

Cleary needs to find a way to give the back row mid game breaks, other than hiding them on the wing, or at least have the option to get them breaks if they look like they're about to die of exhaustion. I don't mind Martin in the middle but then use May as an actual back row sub during the game and not just as an afterthought at the end.

MugaB

Coach

Or worse Critta and Edwards

Jane Murray

Bench
Of course he's desperate - they've lost 4/5 to start the season!

He has to change something - and while this won't be the silver bullet, it might be the first step in getting better.
It is not going to save him on Thursday night. Luai, and Cleary, will have a blinder.

Look at Crittas mistakes, he’s not the first fullback to put a foot on the line trying to prevent a forty twenty and he’s certainly not the first first fullback to fumble a kick, even good fullbacks make these mistakes at times.

Case in point, Anthony Minichiello in the 2003 GF. His 2nd big fumble lead to Luke Priddis scoring (His first one, funnily enough, lead to the greatest grand final tackle ever made!!).

betcats

Referee
Is Croft a noted anything??? Seriously he’s a hard dude to describe, probably the most boring No.7 in the NRL

He is decent ball runner but yeah he's not great.

Critta can catch bombs well enough, its the positioning and fielding grubbers that is a worry.

snickers007

Juniors
It is not going to save him on Thursday night. Luai, and Cleary, will have a blinder.

So they should just concede defeat? What about next week against the Eels, are they allowed to try and win that one? What about the Titans in Rnd 8?

It's a process. Nothing changes overnight. Have a listen next time a coach (any coach, any sport) talks. They always say that they are focussed on themselves, and what they can do right. They can't control the opposition.

Playing Deardon with Croft in Rnd 6 might mean they have built up combinations to win Rnds 9 and 10 against the Cowboys and Sea Eagles.

People calling for changes after another dominant performance, once again no changes will be made as long as we aren’t being troubled by the opposition.

If individuals are struggling to me it’s irrelevant if the team performance was dominant or not. Crichton was clearly struggling.

He’s not a huge risk against the Broncos, but I have serious question marks over him playing FB in the short term. At minimum if Edwards gets injured again I’d have to give Staines the shot.

Sime_11

Juniors
if Edwards was coming back in this week - would Crichton move straight back to left centre?

you could make an argument Burton has looked better than Crichton at left centre in 2021.

Crichton will stay as FB as we are winning and our 1st choice FB isnt ready to come back into the squad. Crichton should be put on notice though IMO, out of all of the backs this year, he is the one who has looked suspect the most.... but he also had moments of brilliance so its not all doom and gloom.

we should win this comfortably, but the Bronco's looked decent in the 2nd half with Souths - going set for set and at times dominating the middle - just gotta keep staying hungry and looking for work to get the job done.