What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd1: Womens NRL (inc Parra) GAME DAY THREAD Feb 27 2022

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Some game stats , courtesy of nrl.com

Possession: Knights 51%
Completion rate: Knights 70% Eels 63%
All runs: 146 each
All run metres: Eels 1376 Knights 1204
PCM: Eels 400-356
Line breaks Eels 5-3
Tackle breaks: Eels 33-21
Offloads: Knights 4-2
So the team with less possession and a worse completion rate won the game?? We must of relied on our defence??? Some let Mizzzzz Gale know about this ASAP!!!

She needs to do better…….

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Not something that I think I will ever watch with any real interest. Don't really give a f**k whether @TheRam comes at me, just being honest.

Happy others like it though and hope it thrives. Nice to see that the Eels have a presence too. No comp is complete without the eels.

T.S Quint

Coach
Geez that Tarsha Gale is a f**king horrible commentator.
Just because you have a comp named after you does not mean you have the ability to talk about the game during live commentary.
Get some of these women some media training, hurry.

TheRam

Coach
I wish the NRL could get RL's version of Cricket's Isa Guha. We need that type of quality not the so many low grade buffoon sounding ones we have now in both the mens and womens NRL commentary.

Also Speedy's commentary sounds like he is calling the freakin races. Absolutely terribly annoying. Ruins the game.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
I wish the NRL could get RL's version of Cricket's Isa Guha. We need that type of quality not the so many low grade buffoon sounding ones we have now in both the mens and womens NRL commentary.
ABC had some fantastic women commentating this year during both the men's and women's Ashes. So did MMM. Alex Hartley was my favourite.

TheParraboy

Staff member

Also Speedy's commentary sounds like he is calling the freakin races. Absolutely terribly annoying. Ruins the game.

Not sure if she is still at 9, Alana Ferguson is very good. Ex player, full of knowledge, calls it as it is

I think Lara Pitt and Jess Yates are great on Fox

TheRam

Coach
Not sure if she is still at 9, Alana Ferguson is very good. Ex player, full of knowledge, calls it as it is

I think Lara Pitt and Jess Yates are great on Fox

Yeah they're fine as facilitators or analysts, but I was referring more to callers or co-commentators. When switched on, kind of like Ray Warren or Vossy who both have timing, a sense of awareness with the appropriate level of excitement in their voice. Also their voice carries a certain reverence that engages the listener, not irritate him or her. Also Warren Smith is the other good commentator that knows timing and pace and the appropriate excitement levels. But that is about it.

As for Co-commentators, knowledge is their number one skill and neutrality. Stelo was the pick of the bunch and Gould is up there obviously with the most knowledgeable, but he ruins all that with his bias and or dribble talk with Rabs and has dragged Rabs down with him. But if we cast our minds back to when Gus first started out as a commentator, before he became to comfortable, familiar and bored, those first couple of years he was brilliant made a real contribution. But now it is almost unbearable. Thank God I have Foxtel. I also used to enjoy Mark Gasiner. Very knowledgeable and extremely neutral in his assessments.

But if we could get a female commentator of the quality of any of these guys mentioned above at their best, it would be brilliant and help make the game much more enjoyable to listen to again. The commentary is letting it down a lot at the moment.

Hell 90% of callers now sound like Speedy. Like calling the trots. Every play the ball and every tackle, almost everything that happens is at mega excitement mode. So freaking annoying! And as for the co-commentators, some like Alexander or Ennis know their sh*t, but their bias or favourites make them very frustrating and annoying and I find I am yelling at the screen way to much now a days. Mind you Ennis will be a delight this year.

TheRam

Coach
ABC had some fantastic women commentating this year during both the men's and women's Ashes. So did MMM. Alex Hartley was my favourite.

Sorry I wouldn't know, I don't watch cricket anymore. So I will take your word.

Shane Warne...RIP mate.

TheRam

Coach
Yeah. I quite like Hannah Hollis as well. Ruan, Molan and Giggles offer little.
And then theres Danika.

These are all facilitating commentators you guys are referring to. I am referring to game time commentary only. Not eye candy for your pleasure. I couldn't give a toss what the person looks like in the box calling or co-calling the game. I'm talking about the quality of their voice, knowledge, neutrality and overall likeability to our ears.

There are very few that have that magic that elevates the game and adds to the spectacle anymore in RL. The game is all the more poorer for it.

Gazzamatta

Coach
These are all facilitating commentators you guys are referring to. I am referring to game time commentary only. Not eye candy for your pleasure. I couldn't give a toss what the person looks like in the box calling or co-calling the game. I'm talking about the quality of their voice, knowledge, neutrality and overall likeability to our ears.

There are very few that have that magic that elevates the game and adds to the spectacle anymore in RL. The game is all the more poorer for it.
Are there any women doing actual play by play comentary in NRL? Cricket have a few who are excellent and I guess Netball and the like but NRL commentary as I believe you describe is definitely male dominated more the pity given some we have to listen through. If you are referring to those that add colour to the commentary then my comments apply. Danika might be a sort but she knows her footy pretty well also. Id much prefer comments from Lara than Braith, Blocker, Brandy and the like.
Tarsha Gale anyone?

TheParraboy

Staff member
Yeah they're fine as facilitators or analysts, but I was referring more to callers or co-commentators. When switched on, kind of like Ray Warren or Vossy who both have timing, a sense of awareness with the appropriate level of excitement in their voice. Also their voice carries a certain reverence that engages the listener, not irritate him or her. Also Warren Smith is the other good commentator that knows timing and pace and the appropriate excitement levels. But that is about it.

As for Co-commentators, knowledge is their number one skill and neutrality. Stelo was the pick of the bunch and Gould is up there obviously with the most knowledgeable, but he ruins all that with his bias and or dribble talk with Rabs and has dragged Rabs down with him. But if we cast our minds back to when Gus first started out as a commentator, before he became to comfortable, familiar and bored, those first couple of years he was brilliant made a real contribution. But now it is almost unbearable. Thank God I have Foxtel. I also used to enjoy Mark Gasiner. Very knowledgeable and extremely neutral in his assessments.

But if we could get a female commentator of the quality of any of these guys mentioned above at their best, it would be brilliant and help make the game much more enjoyable to listen to again. The commentary is letting it down a lot at the moment.

Hell 90% of callers now sound like Speedy. Like calling the trots. Every play the ball and every tackle, almost everything that happens is at mega excitement mode. So freaking annoying! And as for the co-commentators, some like Alexander or Ennis know their sh*t, but their bias or favourites make them very frustrating and annoying and I find I am yelling at the screen way to much now a days. Mind you Ennis will be a delight this year.

I think with good women callers or co-commentators, or lack of, is attributed to the game been so male dominated sport for 100+ years. Thousands of players have come and gone, so the pool of generating a Sterlo or Gould post their playing career was a given. Even non players like a Vossy or Hadley have come through cause they had the passion for league all their lives with that savvy knowledge of the game crucially needed to communicate as a caller. Yes unfortunately agree, many of the new male crop of commentators know their shit, but ruin it due to agendas and bias

Its really only the last few years women playing league has got some sort of exposure , in terms of playing time and marketing it is still very minuscule compared to the men. But its growing, younger girls are wanting to play and understand the game. Expecting in the years, maybe decade ahead we will unearth some great female callers or co-callers

Latest posts