What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd10: Eels v Roosters GAME DAY THREAD @ Suncorp 15/5/22

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yeah nah. We had Manu,Jennings and Semi. KE on bench It was an explosive team.
Corey Norman in good form too. It was a strong team on the edges but weak in the middle, probably the weakest of all finals teams. Nathan Brown was our best middle forward ffs.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think you underrate our team when you make statements like the Cowboys are on the same level as us. I can’t agree with your assessment about how we should have finished 6th last season and thought that was ridiculous. I think finishing outside the top 4 this season would be underachieving but not surprising.
In what areas are we stronger than the Cowboys? Where are we weaker? You find we match up pretty evenly when you look at all the pros and cons. You’ll find they have a lot more big game experience, which is something that can be proven with data. They are also at least as quick as we are and Taumalolo is better than any forward in our team. They also have some youngsters who might not be on your radar yet but are potential stars.

Gazzamatta

Coach
In what areas are we stronger than the Cowboys? Where are we weaker? You find we match up pretty evenly when you look at all the pros and cons. You’ll find they have a lot more big game experience, which is something that can be proven with data. They are also at least as quick as we are and Taumalolo is better than any forward in our team. They also have some youngsters who might not be on your radar yet but are potential stars.
And how did you rate this team last season Poo? Ffs.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Radleys injury. Ouch. Just watched it again. Very surprised Dyl wasn't done for a hip drop tackle. Cant believe Mr Bull Terrier face hasnt gone all Rambo.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
And how did you rate this team last season Poo? Ffs.
They were too much of a mess to be able to judge. Eight merkins from their round one team played fewer than 20 games. Four of them left the club mid-season. Taumalolo underperformed massively. They were gash.

lucablight

First Grade
All over the park. If you had to pick a combined starting side I’d argue the only ones to make it from the Cowboys would be Holmes, Taumalolo and possibly Nanai (although probably not if both sides were full strength). Cotter is a good player but he wouldn’t get in ahead of Paulo and RCG and the hammer would probably be starting one one of the wings but he’s on their bench atm.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
All over the park. If you had to pick a combined starting side I’d argue the only ones to make it from the Cowboys would be Holmes, Taumalolo and possibly Nanai (although probably not if both sides were full strength). Cotter is a good player but he wouldn’t get in ahead of Paulo and RCG and the hammer would probably be starting one one of the wings but he’s on their bench atm.
I would take Holmes and Taumalolo plus both wingers, Nanai and Robson. Drinkwater and HTF both have better running games than Gutherson too. They have a good side.

lucablight

First Grade
I would take Holmes and Taumalolo plus both wingers, Nanai and Robson. Drinkwater and HTF both have better running games than Gutherson too. They have a good side.
I’d take Sivo over Feldt. Feldt got exposed big time in origin. If the starting backrow was Papali’i, Niukore and Matterson (arguably the current strongest starting combination) then who would Nanai get picked over? Only reason I included Nanai was because Brown is currently down on form if you want to have him as one of the starting backrowers. Mahoney is currently a better player than Robson and their contracts reflect that. Gutherson is a better player than Drinkwater.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I’d take Sivo over Feldt. Feldt got exposed big time in origin.
Yes I suppose Sivo never played poorly in Origin. Great point. But Sivo hasn’t played this year so hardly a factor when comparing our place on the ladder to theirs.
If the starting backrow was Papali’i, Niukore and Matterson (arguably the current strongest starting combination) then who would Nanai get picked over? Only reason I included Nanai was because Brown is currently down on form if you want to have him as one of the starting backrowers.
Niukore is up there with Sivo for his contribution to our ladder position this year. He is a non-factor.
Mahoney is currently a better player than Robson and their contracts reflect that. Gutherson is a better player than Drinkwater.
Robson and Drinkwater are both in better form than our two. They have contributed more this year.

Angry_eel

First Grade
Cowboys are over acheiving. It must be Payten's coaching. He was strong enough to call out players other than Taumololo last year.

Angry_eel

First Grade
Coaching doesn’t make a difference apparently.
I agree with you that it does. I just am not sure if the current squad can over achieve under another coach. If BA fails again, I think it might be time for a cleanup bar 1, 6, 7, 8 and 10.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Cowboys are over acheiving. It must be Payten's coaching. He was strong enough to call out players other than Taumololo last year.
Or did they underachieve last year, under Payten’s coaching? Just like they underachieved with Green as coach after he won a premiership with them? Or maybe leadership matters and Townsend has been a bigger influence than merkins give him credit for?

lucablight

First Grade
Yes I suppose Sivo never played poorly in Origin. Great point. But Sivo hasn’t played this year so hardly a factor when comparing our place on the ladder to theirs.
Niukore is up there with Sivo for his contribution to our ladder position this year. He is a non-factor.
Robson and Drinkwater are both in better form than our two. They have contributed more this year.
Aren’t you the one who said the Cowboys will have more origin players? I was pointing out how Feldt was picked due to limited options and didn’t really contribute much.
If you’re comparing the sides at full strength do you really believe Niukore would be a non factor?
Gutherson and Drinkwater are pretty close on the Dally M leaderboards and Mahoney is way ahead of Robson. Regardless of that both of our players have showed longer periods of high performance than the Cowboys duo so far.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Aren’t you the one who said the Cowboys will have more origin players? I was pointing out how Feldt was picked due to limited options and didn’t really contribute much.
If you’re comparing the sides at full strength do you really believe Niukore would be a non factor?
Gutherson and Drinkwater are pretty close on the Dally M leaderboards and Mahoney is way ahead of Robson. Regardless of that both of our players have showed longer periods of high performance than the Cowboys duo so far.
Well we are comparing positions on the ladder this year, which means player availability and form only matters this year. I still think we'll probably finish ahead of them on for-and-against, but not by a lot.

lucablight

First Grade
Well we are comparing positions on the ladder this year, which means player availability and form only matters this year. I still think we'll probably finish ahead of them on for-and-against, but not by a lot.
We’re having two different conversations then. Who would you take out of the Cowboys in a combined team if both were at full strength?

Latest posts