What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd12: Parra v Souths GAME DAY THREAD @ Stadium Australia 29/5/21

JokerEel

First Grade
Sack Fergo.

Moses has been outplayed by JA even though JA defence isn't that great we looked better when he came and Ball played in the middle..

Chipmunk

Coach
Problem for me - other than our friggin right edge defence

When ever the opposition has some sort of emotion/motivation to do well, they destroy us

Last week Bozo passing, Manly grew an extra leg and never let up

Indigenous round, Souths were pumped, especially their indigenous boys

Don't need to talk about finals football

All Newcastle need to do next week before the game, is put a fake message to the playing group that a club legend is suffering pancreatitis and only has a days to live, They put 49 on us...

It's apparently old boys day.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
our edges have been an issue with or without brown. Teams always seem to have an overlap, regardless of the opposition. Yet when we spread the ball, we fail to find such overlap. Teams are doing it too easy

Our right edge was pretty good pre manly game.....

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The coach must recognize there’s issues on our right edge? What did he do to rectify it? He switched centres. Lol great tactic that one. Maybe that was our long awaited super secret move.

WB identified our weakness and exploited our edge. BA had nothing, despite having a week to work on things. Wouldn’t that classify as being out coached?
So did Cleary out coach Bennett when his team smashed them last week? Every coach knows the strengths and weaknesses of their own and every other team. Exploiting it takes the right personnel and a bit of luck. It's why the better coach doesn't automatically win every game.

Bandwagon

Staff member
I think with Drown back it might still be worth sticking with the Opacic / Waqa swap. Opacic is still a better defender, and it'll shore up that edge, meanwhile putting Waqa on Moses side might let his speed find a little more space.

Particulary given Gutho is far better attacking right to left rather than left to right

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Well I guess the reality is that our issues aren't with individuals but defensive structures as a whole. It's worse than we thought.... Then again, we were all sleeping soundly 3 weeks back when wins were coming.... Last 2 weeks 2 proven (premiership winning) coaches have exposed us....
Or are they premiership coaches because they refuse to coach at any club that lacks the resources to win the comp?

What gives some cause for optimism is that Mahoney continues to improve and I think can take some pressure off our halves if he's given a freer rein and gets more confident. And Drown might be more important than a lot of us thought. So not a good night but the razor blades stay in the packet.

Noise

Coach
What a lot of us have been saying for close to a year. Arthur finally agrees. Waqa and Fergo do not work together.

Arthur admitted the switch in the centres didn’t work post match and conceded his edges have work to do to improve their defence.
“It just hasn’t been working between Fergo and Waqa,” Arthur said.
“We had to make a change. We’ve got to do some work there. It didn’t work there at the back end of last year.”
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...2/news-story/0e308843e44fc88cf949547b74534aae

The answer is Niukore at centre defending next to Brown.

King-Gutho94

Coach
I reckon we underestimated how physical last weeks game was against Manly. Every podcast i listened to during the week were raving about the physicality of the match.

Manly will be interesting watch tomorrow. See how they pulled up

While souths barely blew out a candle last week. And it showed tonight

IFR33K

Coach
So did Cleary out coach Bennett when his team smashed them last week? Every coach knows the strengths and weaknesses of their own and every other team. Exploiting it takes the right personnel and a bit of luck. It's why the better coach doesn't automatically win every game.

Our coach is failing to rectify issues. Our game plan is simply to bash and barge. If bash and barge doesn’t work, there’s no plan b. We look pedestrian with the ball. We’re a slow team.

I’d like a little variation moving forwards or we’ll be easy pickings for many teams

Kornstar

Coach
Problem for me - other than our friggin right edge defence

When ever the opposition has some sort of emotion/motivation to do well, they destroy us

Last week Bozo passing, Manly grew an extra leg and never let up

Indigenous round, Souths were pumped, especially their indigenous boys

Don't need to talk about finals football

All Newcastle need to do next week before the game, is put a fake message to the playing group that a club legend is suffering pancreatitis and only has a days to live, They put 49 on us...

I actually think Manly were average last week, there was nothing impressive about them other than Turbo, we just weren’t that interested in the collision and wanted to play hero ball.

Same as this game, Souths were better than Manly were last week but once again our lack of intensity was on display in the first set through to the first try.

Last week i think we just thought we needed to turn up and this week we just didn’t put much effort in at all, like we knew the result before the game even started.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Our coach is failing to rectify issues. Our game plan is simply to bash and barge. If bash and barge doesn’t work, there’s no plan b. We look pedestrian with the ball. We’re a slow team.

I’d like a little variation moving forwards or we’ll be easy pickings for many teams

You could say it was junk time and souths dropped their intensity. But we looked a lot better in last 10-15 mins because we through the ball around and created some 2nd phase.

I reckon i have heard sterlo mention numerous times in his weekly preview/review on the parra website how predictable and one-out we are coming out of our own end and need to mix it up a bit more. But nothing ever changes

Latest posts