What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd12: Parra v Souths GAME DAY THREAD @ Stadium Australia 29/5/21

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I've showed my Dad pous quotes. And I've shown my close mate who works at a large legal firm in city some also.

Dad said well he prob knows more about game then me. I just notice the line breaks.

Mate said this guy seems very intelligent and could of made a good lawyer.
I just parrot what Brian Smith told me 20 years ago.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I just watched highlights. Our tries come all from kicks. Either a bad bounce or dropped ball. In other words a mistake or luck. That is not a well constructed try.
Arthurs at end was the only legit try.
If teams are getting off their line quickly you need to kick behind to slow them down. All tries were legit. Kick chase isn't luck.

lucablight

First Grade
Only counting actual Origin experience at least gives us an objective measure for comparison, rather than just throwing our opinions out there for who has the better squad. As for players like Crichton and Koroisau, they lack the big game experience Origin provides, regardless of how good they are, as do guys like Moses and Matterson.

For the record, finals games is another objective marker of big game experience, and the Panthers squad blows us out of the water, as do all the other top six squads. But we are bridging that gap in recent years, with some solid signings and finals appearances.
I would say that’s an incredibly oversimplistic way of looking at it. You can’t just handwave away players as irrelevant if they don’t have big game experience or weren’t picked for origin. If the Panthers squad blows ours out of the water did you pick them as premiership favourites at the start of 2020? Or did they only start blowing our squad out of the water a few days ago when they had all those players picked for origin?

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I would say that’s an incredibly oversimplistic way of looking at it. You can’t just handwave away players as irrelevant if they don’t have big game experience or weren’t picked for origin. If the Panthers squad blows ours out of the water did you pick them as premiership favourites at the start of 2020? Or did they only start blowing our squad out of the water a few days ago when they had all those players picked for origin?
Newcastle have more origin players than us, so according to Pou their squad is stronger and it’s no big deal if we lose to them.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I would say that’s an incredibly oversimplistic way of looking at it. You can’t just handwave away players as irrelevant if they don’t have big game experience or weren’t picked for origin.
It's not about handwaving players, but about finding objective measures of quality. When you can tally a team's finals and Origin experience you can infer the quality of its roster. Surprise surprise that can be used to predict the team's performance relative to others. That's how data analytics works.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Newcastle have more origin players than us, so according to Pou their squad is stronger and it’s no big deal if we lose to them.
Number of current Origin players is only one measure though. I'm sure I made that clear. Aggregated totals of Origin and finals matches are also useful measures. It certainly allows you to avoid the bias inherent in subjectively judging your own club's roster against others.

lucablight

First Grade
It's not about handwaving players, but about finding objective measures of quality. When you can tally a team's finals and Origin experience you can infer the quality of its roster. Surprise surprise that can be used to predict the team's performance relative to others. That's how data analytics works.
The 2002 Eels side had 5 players involved in origin that year. They finished 6th despite being in the grand final the season before. If we use your “objective measures of quality” then did one of the best squads get bundled out of the finals in the first round that season?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The 2002 Eels side had 5 players involved in origin that year. They finished 6th despite being in the grand final the season before. If we use your “objective measures of quality” then did one of the best squads get bundled out of the finals in the first round that season?
Don't get too fixated on current Origin players. I've said before that I consider total Origin plus finals experience the most important factor, especially come finals time. If you had a look I wouldn't be surprised to find that 2002 Eels team had far less big game experience than many of its opponents. The eventual premiers came from the clouds that year, iirc, but looking back I think you'd find they had a lot of finals+Origin experience.

Latest posts