What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd13: EELS v Cowboys GAME DAY THREAD @ Fortress Commbank 26/05/23

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
As you yourself are stating, an opportunity for advantage is just that, an opportunity, but which was never taken advantage of.
I reckon they did, but its not straighforward and many of these types of decisions could go either way.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Good on him but is it because he is playing for a contract.

Or has it taken him 3 years to get parrafit.

Just imagine if Bryce had this mindset last year he would have been in the side and a possible point of difference in some crucial games.

Well done Bryce for turning his life and footy around.
A couple of things BC has said recently.
Re his pass if it didnt stick BA would put a rocket up him.
How comfortable he feels now hes getting good game time.
Its cant be good for players when the club buys unknowns to our systems like Davey and Joffa and they jump the queue and are preferred to those in the system. Again I reckon these blokes are proving their worth as a result of being wanted and actually getting a go.

yy_cheng

Coach
A couple of things BC has said recently.
Re his pass if it didnt stick BA would put a rocket up him.
How comfortable he feels now hes getting good game time.
Its cant be good for players when the club buys unknowns to our systems like Davey and Joffa and they jump the queue and are preferred to those in the system. Again I reckon these blokes are proving their worth as a result of being wanted and actually getting a go.
That's coz these guys have the basic effort areas down pat. But they don't have the ceilings of a carty or hopgood

yy_cheng

Coach
I think that that is Potato Heads greatest strength. He is tough but fair to the players that have talent but need that tough love to get the best out of them. They see that he is genuine and means what he says and if they are at the right stage(crossroads) of their career they tend to respond positively.

But it is all the other stuff he still struggles with, like tactics other then collision and how to use his bench. Injuries though this year may have given him a new insight that the Assistant coaches never could. Maybe now it might be easier for them to get their points across to potato Head.

We will see hopefully when our top 17 are all back that he has finally nailed it and the minutes are spread out correctly. If any of them are getting less then 20 mins then he hasn't learnt a thing. Paulo and RCG should be used no more then 50-60 mins if he gets it right.

Hell if we can we should give them 40 mins where possible. Players like Grieg would only be better for the extra mins too. They should be protected from burnout from here on in. We need them fresh and keen come playoff time, not worn out physically and mentally going in. Then they can rev up a gear or two, not idle or totally tank out like has been the case most other times.

We have been blessed with a bye in the last round too. We couldn't get it any better from a freshening up point of view. We just need to stay injury free from here on and balance the workload correctly. If we do that who knows our defense might even show a marked improvement. Fresher players means less missed tackles. Surely even Potato Head can see that can't he?
Totally, he might need a reg or jnr to play longer minutes one game but then let them play fewer in subsequent games

Eelogical

Referee
Exactly, made a meal out of it. No advantage. So where was the advantage? The ref got it spot on. Stop looking for issues where there are none. The refs almost always get this part of the game right.

The operative word is advantaged? The answer would be no, not at any stage, but if you gave the ball back to them for chancing our arm then the advantage would be all theirs ffs!
It's fine that nobody else agrees with me. After all, it's the rule and everybody seems to be fine with it. But I just feel that in some instances it's a hell of an advantage.

TheRam

Coach
I reckon they did, but its not straighforward and many of these types of decisions could go either way.

I can't remember the last time the refs got this rule wrong. It isn't all that hard. Blind Freddy can see that if we were not given the ball after that we would have been the team that was disadvantaged, not the Cowboys. The decision was the correct one as per usual.

Stop trying to grey the issue with nonsense and weird interpretations of what is pretty straight forward. You are wrong and the refs were spot on. Get over it and move on.

Great call, great rule.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I can't remember the last time the refs got this rule wrong. It isn't all that hard. Blind Freddy can see that if we were not given the ball after that we would have been the team that was disadvantaged, not the Cowboys. The decision was the correct one as per usual.

Stop trying to grey the issue with nonsense and weird interpretations of what is pretty straight forward. You are wrong and the refs were spot on. Get over it and move on.

Great call, great rule.
It's fine that nobody else agrees with me. After all, it's the rule and everybody seems to be fine with it. But I just feel that in some instances it's a hell of an advantage.

strider

Post Whore
Maybe rugby union has it more right in that the ref needs to show he is playing advantage and when it is over. Then at least no one is surprised.

Not saying i want to play as long an advanatage as union, which seems to go for a week minimum.

Rocket man

Juniors
As you yourself are stating, an opportunity for advantage is just that, an opportunity, but which was never taken advantage of.

End of.

I want the team that is afforded an opportunity to take an advantage, to be given that opportunity without fear of losing the ball if they were to try something audacious. Otherwise they will simply play negative football and just do FA with it.

Where is the excitement in that ffs?!

Like I said the refs got it right. It is a great rule for the game and fans to enjoy and not be hell bent on negativity and dullness. Leave that for the Pous of the world. We have enough of those.

If you want to change a positive attacking rule maybe you should go and write to V'Landys. I'm sure he will give you a friendly ear.

In the mean time the rest of us will enjoy the opportunity for an unexpected spark in the game if we can manage it.
I recall an advantage where an opposition player ran 40 meters and was taken over the sideline. The ref went back to where the knock on happened stating no advantage taken.
I thought that was over the top.

Gronk

Staff member
I watched the Ch9 replay and was amused when sideline eye Paul Gallen called for Sivo to be head binned after he was slow to get up after getting pressure on his neck. The allegation was that Sivo was milking / faking. f**k you.

King-Gutho94

Coach
I watched the Ch9 replay and was amused when sideline eye Paul Gallen called for Sivo to be head binned after he was slow to get up after getting pressure on his neck. The allegation was that Sivo was milking / faking. f**k you.
Gets rid of milkers out of the game I am all for it.

Might make them think twice trying to milk penalties we are not football/soccer.

Eelogical

Referee
We all know that he can run through a brick wall 10 metres out from the line but gets neck injuries from a feather.

Eelogical

Referee
I recall an advantage where an opposition player ran 40 meters and was taken over the sideline. The ref went back to where the knock on happened stating no advantage taken.
I thought that was over the top.
I'm waiting for the game where we're disadvantaged by it.

emjaycee

Coach
I think that that is Potato Heads greatest strength. He is tough but fair to the players that have talent but need that tough love to get the best out of them. They see that he is genuine and means what he says and if they are at the right stage(crossroads) of their career they tend to respond positively.

But it is all the other stuff he still struggles with, like tactics other then collision and how to use his bench. Injuries though this year may have given him a new insight that the Assistant coaches never could. Maybe now it might be easier for them to get their points across to potato Head.

We will see hopefully when our top 17 are all back that he has finally nailed it and the minutes are spread out correctly. If any of them are getting less then 20 mins then he hasn't learnt a thing. Paulo and RCG should be used no more then 50-60 mins if he gets it right.

Hell if we can we should give them 40 mins where possible. Players like Grieg would only be better for the extra mins too. They should be protected from burnout from here on in. We need them fresh and keen come playoff time, not worn out physically and mentally going in. Then they can rev up a gear or two, not idle or totally tank out like has been the case most other times.

We have been blessed with a bye in the last round too. We couldn't get it any better from a freshening up point of view. We just need to stay injury free from here on and balance the workload correctly. If we do that who knows our defense might even show a marked improvement. Fresher players means less missed tackles. Surely even Potato Head can see that can't he?

Totally, he might need a reg or jnr to play longer minutes one game but then let them play fewer in subsequent games

To be fair to BA, I reckon he has worked this out already.

Junior has averaged 57 minutes per game this year (incl. 72 mins last week when we lost Davey & Matto) - 55 mins average otherwise.

RCG has averaged 56 mins per game this year (incl. 37 mins when he was injured and left the field early) - 59 mins average otherwise.

Gronk

Staff member
Gets rid of milkers out of the game I am all for it.

Might make them think twice trying to milk penalties we are not football/soccer.
Agree.
We all know that he can run through a brick wall 10 metres out from the line but gets neck injuries from a feather.
True, but you can’t put pressure on the neck.
Sivo is an enormous milker .... do we somehow think our players are angels and do no wrong? .... no problem with Gal calling him out
I know Kenny Edwards was a milker. Sivo has done some suspicious stuff in the past. Dr Gallen has diagnosed from 50m away.
Sivo was 100% milking.
There was pressure on the neck. Was it inconsequential ? Sivo is paying the price for having fibber form maybe.

Anyway I don’t care if Gallen was technically right, he can still get f**ked. :p

Latest posts