What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd16: Eels v Rabbits GAME DAY THREAD @ Accor Stadium 2/7/22

Messages
40,232
You need to think about it in the context of the odds. If the best priced team is paying $4 it means nobody could say with confidence that any given team will win it. Even now that it has emerged that Penrith is again the best team in the comp, they are still paying $2.20. In a two horse race (Penrith vs the other 15 teams) $2.20 represents the outsider. If you could bet on Penrith not winning the comp it would pay less than $2. Now repeat that for any set of odds greater than what Penrith are paying and you have an even weaker outsider.
Nobody is talking about it in those terms. We're essentially talking about who people tipped to win. Of course most teams probably won't, even most times the most favoured team. But compared to the number of people who tipped the Panthers, plenty also tipped us.
 

Soto

Juniors
Messages
1,619
Almost 24 hours after that loss and with no heat of the moment commentary, reality is we suck.
I know there has been truckloads of pages devoted to this, however my opinion of the coach, the efforts, the execution, the under performance has not changed.
I really hope Sarantinos and co are sitting up and taking notice.
I don't give two f's what the apologists say. Results speak for themselves (or lack thereof)
This consistent mediocrity is not acceptable and cannot be tolerated.
I'd be happy to punt him now but will say let's give him til the end of this season. If we dont get to week 3 minimum then ta ta goodbye.
Let's hope plan b and c is already in play for the next coach.
 

strider

Post Whore
Messages
75,799
Nobody is talking about it in those terms. We're essentially talking about who people tipped to win. Of course most teams probably won't, even most times the most favoured team. But compared to the number of people who tipped the Panthers, plenty also tipped us.
Paul Kent tipped us to win ..... 😬
 

Chipmunk

Coach
Messages
13,542
1) Individual player attitude
2) Lack of leadership both on and off the field
3) Inability of the coach to develop a Plan B
4) Lack of attention to detail in either planning or execution of defensive patterns
5) Lack of speed in a number of key positions
6) Lack of killer instinct
7) Lack of self-belief when behind on the scoreboard by more than 12 points
8) Lack of depth in key positions resulting in overplaying spine players despite drop in form

Probably some more I can think of but is that enough for now?
1, 3, 4, 6, and 7 are all the responsibility of the coaching staff.
2, 5, and 8 are the responsibility of recruitment and retention, of which the Head Coach is a key member.

There are no excuses for any of this after the Head Coach has been in the job for 9 seasons.
 

Chipmunk

Coach
Messages
13,542
If we were only about chasing collisions we wouldn't be the top offloading team in the NRL for the fourth straight year. Chasing the collision refers to improving our weakness, which is getting numbers into the tackle.

I've actually not heard anything from the coach on 'chasing the collision' once this season.

To be honest the team is not the same team this season, that it has been for the last 3 seasons.
 

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Messages
73,468
I agree with you. They also have heaps better coaches as well
I think Cleary's overrated. Bellamy likely is overrated too (have we seen his results with without the Storm's vast resources?) but still probably a great coach. Both at least have a lot of experience.
 

emjaycee

Coach
Messages
11,108
1, 3, 4, 6, and 7 are all the responsibility of the coaching staff.
2, 5, and 8 are the responsibility of recruitment and retention, of which the Head Coach is a key member.

There are no excuses for any of this after the Head Coach has been in the job for 9 seasons.
So are you saying the players have no responsibility for last night's loss or the Bulldogs or Tigers loss?
 

Chipmunk

Coach
Messages
13,542
So are you saying the players have no responsibility for last night's loss or the Bulldogs or Tigers loss?
No I am not, but after 9 season the Head Coach has the players he wants and is responsible if they can't do the job.
 

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Messages
73,468
Yes but it's not a two horse race.
Right but don't you see this makes it even harder to win?
In this context, where we were a bit more than double the price of the favourite, saying plenty think we'll win is true.
Well no because anything greater than $2 means unlikely to win. If the premiership were a two horse race the favourite would be paying less than $2 (less than $1.90 really). The fact even the favourites are paying more than $2 shows how hard it is to pick a winner. Your chances of winning (according to the bookies) are roughly one divided by your price. So even at $4 you're only about a 25% chance of winning the comp, and therefore a roughly 75% chance of not winning.
 

Latest posts

Top