What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd16: Parra v Penrith GAME DAY THREAD @ Bluebet Stadium 2/7/21

IFR33K

Coach
How many Finals games have we won, though?

We've played in a few, but we probably need to find ways to more Finals.

You asked a very good question. We obviously have a decent squad, what’s holding them back from actually winning a semi final game? Is it the squad? Do we piss the lot of them off? How long does the coach have to turn the fortunes around.

You mean the fact that he wanted to do everything himself and the reason O’Neill was appointed. I didn’t know that it was going to be him but it was common knowledge that he was biting off more than he could chew. I also was privy to some information about him boning either or both of his halves after the wooden spoon. Norman eventually left and Moses stayed.

What’s wrong with me writing that and my opinion on his performance? How is that white anting? I thought that’s why we come on here or are you just going to play it safe and stay on the fence all your life? I couldn’t give a f**k. He was a plodder and now is above average but I still think after 8 years he should be better. I give him a pass so far but I have always maintained my stance that if he doesn’t at least make the preliminary final this year he would have underachieved and if there is no GF appearance by next year he should move on.

I didn't say that you couldn't do it. I just pointed out that you had said this stuff in the past and that it wasn't a surprise that you are getting stuck into him again. You can call him a goat f**ker for all I care.

Avenger

Immortal
I didn't say that you couldn't do it. I just pointed out that you had said this stuff in the past and that it wasn't a surprise that you are getting stuck into him again. You can call him a goat f**ker for all I care.
I’m not getting stuck into him. I’m assessing his performance which I’ve said is a pass, so far. If anything he has overachieved because I think he has his limitations as a coach.

Trent Elkin is the unsung hero of this year. The players are definitely fitter and we are competing longer and staying in the contest physically more than any other season.

Eelementary

Post Whore
You asked a very good question. We obviously have a decent squad, what’s holding them back from actually winning a semi final game? Is it the squad? Do we piss the lot of them off? How long does the coach have to turn the fortunes around.
I'm not really sure, mate.

I think we have a squad that can trouble the top teams come the Finals - but I think our team is missing the consistency, and hard-nosed edge to win it all.

I think Arthur has done a great job, but he has to start showing some on-field success come the Finals.

Delboy

First Grade
The team has been built to contend with the big boys, the issues that confronts them are reasonably obvious , and to some extent can be fixed.

attacking structure, a fresh voice and tactical difference would be good

speed, the backline is is efficient and can score, it lacks someone that can either make a big break or follow the first break and finish it from a distance.

The Broncos game outlined you can’t teach speed, but you can certainly benefit from it. Doesn’t appear we have anyone with that difference coming through our own ranks.

robert gower

Juniors
we need a real game breaker thats it

Enamoured Eel

Juniors
We’ve played finals in 17, 19 and 20. Many teams window would close after that. I agree on paper we’re contenders and won’t get a better opportunity than this season to potentially get it done.

Yep. I think that we are closer to being a dark horse than a write-off. If a few things go our way and can go up half a gear, it is a real possibility.

The Storm and Cleary led Panthers are not surprisingly a problem. Manly and a Cleary-less Panthers are in the same boat as us. The Rabbitohs, Roosters and any other team are next to no chance in my opinion (though I would place the Knights chances above the Roosters).

‘22 we have the crux of the same young team with more experience but starting again as opposed to being in our current position brings upon many variables.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The team on paper is a contender. Come Monday we could have three quarters of our spine as origin players in the last 12 months.

If we aren't a contender how long is long enough for a coach to build a team that is a contender?
Coaches don't build teams, clubs do. That is the entire finance, management and shady rorting departments.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
If you flipped a coin six times and it came up heads five times would you think it was rigged? Obviously we haven't been an even chance of winning in each game but the point stands. We were actually underdogs in four of those games. The one game we won we scored nearly 60 points. It's not like we weren't up for it.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
If you flipped a coin six times and it came up heads five times would you think it was rigged? Obviously we haven't been an even chance of winning in each game but the point stands. We were actually underdogs in four of those games. The one game we won we scored nearly 60 points. It's not like we weren't up for it.
If a coin was flipped 6 times in the forest would anybody hear it???

hindy111

Post Whore
The team has been built to contend with the big boys, the issues that confronts them are reasonably obvious , and to some extent can be fixed.

attacking structure, a fresh voice and tactical difference would be good

speed, the backline is is efficient and can score, it lacks someone that can either make a big break or follow the first break and finish it from a distance.

The Broncos game outlined you can’t teach speed, but you can certainly benefit from it. Doesn’t appear we have anyone with that difference coming through our own ranks.

If we finish 5th we will play

- Sharks, Knights,Roosters,Warriors,Saints,Titans.

I honestly wouldn't be confident against any of these side. We would be favourites but not short priced. Knights have had a lot of injuries, so have the Dragons and sharks. If all fit then they would be tough.
Warriors have signed a heap of players of late and may start to charge also.

lucablight

First Grade
When we have the team to actually do so?

This team is not a genuine title threat in 2021 - this is hardly a secret...

It's unrealistic to expect a serious title threat team every year (unless you're Melbourne, and that's a whole other story).

Even Penrith took a few years to build, before becoming a genuine title threat.

I don't think it's a controversial statement, tbh.
There’s no reason why we can’t be a threat if we play good enough on the day.

84 Baby

Referee
If we finish 5th we will play

- Sharks, Knights,Roosters,Warriors,Saints,Titans.

I honestly wouldn't be confident against any of these side. We would be favourites but not short priced. Knights have had a lot of injuries, so have the Dragons and sharks. If all fit then they would be tough.
Warriors have signed a heap of players of late and may start to charge also.
Knights maybe, the Rorters would be tough slog but I still think we’d take them, then other than Fifita running rampant (he could do that against anyone), none of the other teams should trouble us, everything else being equal.
I think we’d honestly struggle more against Souffs and somewhat Manly than Scum or Smugs. Not they’d be easy games either.
But finals are a whole different beast a lot of the time.

84 Baby

Referee
How long does the coach have to turn the fortunes around.
Barring not winning another game this year, he’s safe this year, which means he’s here start next year. But IMO his position will be based on our position:
Premiers - writes his own ticket
GF - this problem is moved to end of next year
Prelim - this problem is moved until about this point next year
Week 2 - sticking point. Circumstances will determine whether keep, move Carr into head coach or blow up completely
Week 1 - as week 2 above but less likely BA is retained through all of next year

There will be mitigating circumstances (key injuries, unlucky but real high level performance, ref howlers, lone wolf Cariges) but the above is my baseline

84 Baby

Referee
There will be mitigating circumstances (key injuries, unlucky but real high level performance, ref howlers, lone wolf Cariges) but the above is my baseline
Equally luck in the other direction (opposition injuries, beneficial ref howlers)

hindy111

Post Whore
Finish 5th and go out week one and his time will be up. That or an overhaul to coaching staff.
If we managed to get to the game before grand final it's quite a succesfull season imo.
That mean finishing 4th and winning a game or 5th and winning 2 games.
I'd lean toward finish 5th and a win followed by a loss. With that result.BA probably stays.