What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd19: Parra v Raiders @ CBUS stadium GAME DAY THREAD 22/7/21

TheRam

Coach
On the Rapana/Semi tackle. If anyone is OK with it then they have no idea and double standards. Sure if we go back 10 years, it is a brilliant tackle, but it is 2021 and the shoulder charge has been outlawed for years.

What makes it even worse is that you have bonehead commentators that can't think on their feet and live in the past like Ennis, Slater, Smith, Thurston and so on.

Look an easy way to look at it is this. What is the difference if a player leads with their feet and misses the ball and instead hits the ball carriers arm or even misses completely and doesn't hurt the player but dislodges the ball with another part of his body and it is not a try versus a shoulder charge that misses its mark because the player lowers himself enough and the defenders hip then hits the player into touch? Leading with your feet period is deemed illegal. Same should be with the shoulder charge that misses its mark but then allows the tackler to prevent the try.

I don't see any difference at all. If you lead with your feet it is always a penalty at the very least whether you injure or hit the head or not. Same goes for a shoulder charge that has missed its mark but then due to the advantage that attempting a shoulder charge allows the remainder of your body check the player into touch.

The fact is, if he hadn't attempted a shoulder charge in the first place he would never have stopped that try from being scored.

Even the video ref(not surprising Paranara) ignored this little but significant fact. By allowing this to stand as fair and legal it will now encourage all players in a similar situation to attempt a shoulder charge and hope that they too only collect the ball carrier with their hip and legs. I thought that the whole idea of outlawing the shoulder charge was to prevent the incidence that they go horribly wrong and the shoulder collects the player in the head ala Inglis. So it is irrelevant if you have made contact or not, it is considered illegal if your arms are not coming up in a wrap around motion. Did anyone see an arm even attempting to be raised in that way? No? Then it was a failed shoulder charge that should have seen Parra awarded a penalty try and Rapana put on report.

Where is the duty of care shown here? What so the video ref thinks that it needed to have made contact with his shoulder to be illegal, when it was premeditated and deliberate because Rapana knew there would be no other way to stop the scorer with a fair and legitimate conventional tackle. Like I said what is the difference between leading with your feet and missing? They still penalise you for that because of the potential danger and to make sure it stays as a deterrent. Same for the shoulder charge. If it is a deliberate attempt like that was to stop a player, whether or not it misses its mark should not matter if he makes contact with the player. The whole point is to make sure it stays a deterrent.

Gazzamatta

Coach
On the Rapana/Semi tackle. If anyone is OK with it then they have no idea and double standards. Sure if we go back 10 years, it is a brilliant tackle, but it is 2021 and the shoulder charge has been outlawed for years.

What makes it even worse is that you have bonehead commentators that can't think on their feet and live in the past like Ennis, Slater, Smith, Thurston and so on.

Look an easy way to look at it is this. What is the difference if a player leads with their feet and misses the ball and instead hits the ball carriers arm or even misses completely and doesn't hurt the player but dislodges the ball with another part of his body and it is not a try versus a shoulder charge that misses its mark because the player lowers himself enough and the defenders hip then hits the player into touch? Leading with your feet period is deemed illegal. Same should be with the shoulder charge that misses its mark but then allows the tackler to prevent the try.

I don't see any difference at all. If you lead with your feet it is always a penalty at the very least whether you injure or hit the head or not. Same goes for a shoulder charge that has missed its mark but then due to the advantage that attempting a shoulder charge allows the remainder of your body check the player into touch.

The fact is, if he hadn't attempted a shoulder charge in the first place he would never have stopped that try from being scored.

Even the video ref(not surprising Paranara) ignored this little but significant fact. By allowing this to stand as fair and legal it will now encourage all players in a similar situation to attempt a shoulder charge and hope that they too only collect the ball carrier with their hip and legs. I thought that the whole idea of outlawing the shoulder charge was to prevent the incidence that they go horribly wrong and the shoulder collects the player in the head ala Inglis. So it is irrelevant if you have made contact or not, it is considered illegal if your arms are not coming up in a wrap around motion. Did anyone see an arm even attempting to be raised in that way? No? Then it was a failed shoulder charge that should have seen Parra awarded a penalty try and Rapana put on report.

Where is the duty of care shown here? What so the video ref thinks that it needed to have made contact with his shoulder to be illegal, when it was premeditated and deliberate because Rapana knew there would be no other way to stop the scorer with a fair and legitimate conventional tackle. Like I said what is the difference between leading with your feet and missing? They still penalise you for that because of the potential danger and to make sure it stays as a deterrent. Same for the shoulder charge. If it is a deliberate attempt like that was to stop a player, whether or not it misses its mark should not matter if he makes contact with the player. The whole point is to make sure it stays a deterrent.
Obviously I would have loved that decision to be reversed so our Eels could have snuck a last minute win but an even greater joy would have been Rickys presser should that have occured.

hindy111

Post Whore
We are playing finals. If we limp in with only a few wins for rest of season and bow out first week maybe coach times up. At very least the assistants go.

Unless we make the grand final or lost in a major semi final in a nail bitter coaching staff needs to be changed.
My preference is to keep BA but replace the attack coach and defense coaches.

Gazzamatta

Coach
We are playing finals. If we limp in with only a few wins for rest of season and bow out first week maybe coach times up. At very least the assistants go.

Unless we make the grand final or lost in a major semi final in a nail bitter coaching staff needs to be changed.
My preference is to keep BA but replace the attack coach and defense coaches.
Whilst I agree im concerned new assistants may be required to conform to a continuation of the game plan thats been in place for some time. Not being one who visits training and having little inside knowledge of training process's is this a reasonable concern? Do Kidwell, Murphy, Grima and Carr have genuine voices in how our team attacks and defends or does BA set whats required and ensures assistants conform?

golfer

Juniors

I totally agree. If someone attempted a tackle in the way Rapana did out on the field it would be a penalty everyday of the week as he makes no attempt to actually tackle but uses his body solely. I thought it would be a penalty try.

lucablight

First Grade
I’m not sure why some supporters think we overrate our players. Every time you see pundits give a take on our team it always comes down to mentality rather than lack of talent. A lot of teams would kill to have the players that we have. Considering the amount of time we win the forward battle every game we should be firmly entrenched in the top 4 but instead we’re in a dogfight to stay there now.

Latest posts