What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RD26 Final Day (EPL style)

Joely01

Bench
With the final round coming up in the EPL, would it work in the NRL?

Let's say every team would play on Sunday 3pm.

For those who don't follow the EPL and aren't sure how it works, basically on the last round, every game kicks off on the same day, same time.

Canard

Immortal
Was talked about in the crowd watch thread.

Would be a turd for Sydney transport if the majority of games were on there, would detract from crowds, and would have a massive impact on TV ratings.

Joely01

Bench
I like watching as many matches as possible so no

Obviously TV rights and missing 3 days of footy coverage would be the downside.

I personally don't like the idea, but a mate of mine mentioned it to me. He reckons it would create a great buzz for the game with a lot of media attention.

I did mention also the fact would we get the crowds?

Canard

Immortal
Obviously TV rights and missing 3 days of footy coverage would be the downside.

I personally don't like the idea, but a mate of mine mentioned it to me. He reckons it would create a great buzz for the game with a lot of media attention.

I did mention also the fact would we get the crowds?

Because of the lack of relegation, there wouldn't be as many games being as important.

Joely01

Bench

Would be a turd for Sydney transport if the majority of games were on there, would detract from crowds, and would have a massive impact on TV ratings.

Yeah, another good point.

I was thinking the set-up could look like this:

Souths V Dogs ANZ
Parra V Manly Parra
Warriors V Storm MT Smart
Roosters V Tigers Allianz
Brisbane V Titans Suncorp
Knights V Cowboys HUnter
Dragons V Sharks Kograh
Canberra V Penrith GIO Stadium

Danish

Referee
I think you'll find the primary reason it is done this way in the EPL is because they have relegation, as well as the premiership on the line that day. If they had games spread out across different days like normal there would be an awful lot of tanking and match fixing going on when teams that play on the last day know exactly what sort of results they require to get the best result.

From a fans perspective having all games played at the same time is shithouse.

undertaker

Coach

I know it won't happen in the current tv rights deal, but if the idea was implemented, it could definitely work with the scheduling of this year's Rd 26 fixtures (the only exception would be changing the venue of the Cowboys/Sea Eagles game to Brookvale Oval or Gosford, so it's not played in the heat at Townsville):

Melbourne Storm v Brisbane Broncos @ AAMI Park
Sydney Roosters v South Sydney Rabbitohs @ Allianz Stadium
Newcastle Knights v St George Illawarra Dragons @ Hunter Stadium
Canberra Raiders v Parramatta Eels @ GIO Stadium
North Queensland Cowboys v Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles @ 1300SMILES Stadium
Penrith Panthers v New Zealand Warriors @ Sportingbet Stadium
Gold Coast Titans v Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs @ Cbus Super Stadium
Wests Tigers v Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks @ Leichhardt Oval

Only 3 games in Sydney.

Also, the games would have to be at 4pm, as Ch9 would never show a game live at 3pm. They would want RL as a lead-in to the 6pm news bulletin. Sunset in Sydney in early September is at about 5:45pm, so all matches would still be in daylight.

You could call it the "Sunday showdown". One game televised by Ch9 live into Sydney, another into Brisbane, 5 of the others covered by Fox Sports commentators and the Warriors game covered by Sky Sports NZ. The 6 games (including the Warriors match) would be shown on Fox Sports via Viewers Choice, with the Fox sports game, called by Warren Smith, to be the 'main game' shown in pubs and other locations which don't have viewers choice. Other games to be called by Fox's other callers - Andy Raymond, Matt Russell, Mark Braybrook (who normally does Holden Cup) and Joel Caine (who does the NSW Cup).

e.g.

Melbourne vs Brisbane (Ch9, live into Melbourne and Brisbane, replay in Sydney on GEM at 6:30pm. Called by Ray Hadley/Matt Thompson/Tim Gilbert or whoever Ch9's 2nd string caller is)
Sydney Roosters vs South Sydney (Ch9, live into Sydney, replay in Brisbane on GEM at 6:30pm. Called by Ray Warren)
Penrith vs NZ Warriors (Sky Sports NZ/Fox Sports viewers choice, main game shown in NZ, replay at 12am. Called by Andrew Voss)
Newcastle vs St George/Illawarra (Fox Sports main game. Called by Warren Smith)
Gold Coast vs Canterbury (Fox Sports viewers choice, replay at 6pm. Called by Matt Russell)
Nth QLD vs Manly (Fox Sports viewers choice, replay at 7:30pm. Called by Andy Raymond)
Wests Tigers vs Cronulla (Fox Sports viewers choice, replay at 9pm. Called by Joel Caine)
Canberra vs Parramatta (Fox Sports viewers choice, replay at 10:30pm. Called by Mark Braybrook)

The other Ch9 game is replayed on Ch9 either late at night or on GEM at 6pm.
The other "Fox Sports viewers choice" games to be replayed on Fox, starting at 6pm, after the Fox Sports main game.

Last edited:

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Broncos play on sunday....

Gyngell... "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Id be more interested in a round of double and triple headers....

But not for the last round of the year.

Maybe the first round back after Origin finishes to start the run home with a huge spectacle....

Joely01

Bench
and the NRL has a finals series. Terrible idea.

Whats the finals series have to do with it?

Teams battling for Minor Premierships, Top 4 spots, top 8 spots and avoiding the wooden spoon, would still attract interest.

Joely01

Bench
Id be more interested in a round of double and triple headers....

But not for the last round of the year.

Maybe the first round back after Origin finishes to start the run home with a huge spectacle....

Not a bad idea, knowing the NRL the correct teams wouldn't be selected.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Not a bad idea, knowing the NRL the correct teams wouldn't be selected.

I doubt the teams playing would be an issue, the doubleheader would be enough of a draw on its own; Bulldog-Titans isnt exactly a derby, but they still fill up Suncorp playing alongside the Broncos.

Really the matchups would mean shit all!!

Theyd just have to pick the right "home" teams for each stadiums.

Eg: Melbourne - Storm, then Warriors.
Brisbane - Titans, then Broncos.
ANZ - Tigers, then Eels, then Bulldogs.
ect.

Keep these games away from the regional towns (NQL, newcastle, Canberra, ect) and have these teams play as way teams...

forward pass

Coach
I miss the old days when the ground announcer would announce all the scores from the other grounds and the crowd would cheer if Manly were losing.

Ha... those good old days.

Joely01

Bench
I doubt the teams playing would be an issue, the doubleheader would be enough of a draw on its own; Bulldog-Titans isnt exactly a derby, but they still fill up Suncorp playing alongside the Broncos.

Really the matchups would mean shit all!!

Theyd just have to pick the right "home" teams for each stadiums.

Eg: Melbourne - Storm, then Warriors.
Brisbane - Titans, then Broncos.
ANZ - Tigers, then Eels, then Bulldogs.
ect.

Keep these games away from the regional towns (NQL, newcastle, Canberra, ect) and have these teams play as way teams...

Sorry what i mean't was, you wouldn't play the raiders V Cowboys at ANZ.

Say the ANZ double header, i'd go with:
Dragons V Tigers
Eels V Bulldogs

Would go close to selling out ANZ

With the final round coming up in the EPL, would it work in the NRL?

Let's say every team would play on Sunday 3pm.

For those who don't follow the EPL and aren't sure how it works, basically on the last round, every game kicks off on the same day, same time.

It won't work for one reason, TV contractual obligations. Channel 9 and Fox Sports will not want all the games on being televised head to head as it will fragment their audience.