What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd6: Eels v Tigers GAME DAY THREAD @ Commbank Stadium 18/4/22

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So why bother?? What’s the point?? May as well shut the club down and save all of us long suffering fans and their sanity. Because at the moment they are just wasting all our time and money.
Well no because we’re a chance of winning the comp even if we’re not favourites. You’re confusing can’t-get-past-week-two with haven’t-gotten-past-week-two. It’s not a foregone conclusion ffs. Sportsbet will confirm that at finals time.

lucablight

First Grade
Of course you do because you are looking for a scapegoat. We've been through the coaching alternatives shit a million times and I've always been open to getting rid of BA. We normally dont do it this early in the season though. Even @hineyrulz doesn't shoot his load until at least August.

Thats exactly what you were doing when you made a comparison to Melbourne and Penrith. We lose games like the Tigers one because we aren't as good as those two teams. Its why we haven't been close to them in previous regular seasons. Its also why they beat us in finals matches.

That said, only a fool would suggest the effort against the Tigers was good by our usual standards.

But Melbourne and Penrith are the only teams to maintain consistent standards and you've already accepted that we aren't as good as them. When you make a statement like that how do you think it will manifest itself? Just in loses to the best teams in the finals? Of course not. We generally wont be as good across all of the games against other teams in the regular season as well.

If you accept that we aren't as good as them then why expect us to do what they can do? Seems irrational.

I know you think its a cop out but thats the reality we face at the moment.

Anway, like you, I'd love to see us improve and win a premiership. It would be great wouldn't it?
I never said we should sack Brad Arthur. I said I think the team is being poorly coached at this time. I also said that Brad Arthur has had plenty of chances and if he can’t get this team up then we should find someone who can. You might be ok with watching the team get taken apart on the edges for the first six rounds and bumble their way to a loss against the winless Wests Tigers but I’m not. Who do you think the buck stops with if the team is playing like that if not the coach? Are you going to sit back if we finish in sixth place again because we dropped these type of games and go out in the second round to Penrith and say oh but they were the better team?
This loss just shows there is a defence force for everything. We really have fans that are making excuses for losing as $1.05 favourites against the Tigers and saying it’s because we aren’t as good as Penrith and Melbourne. It’s mind blowing.

lucablight

First Grade
I do tend to agree here, we (LU) get very busy when our team loses, but f**k me it's Thursday and the chicken littles are still running around in circles.

f**k me, even the Storm lose games, to us even.

If you are going to be any sort of sports fan, your team will lose some games. Period. Even if you win the GF you may lose some games on the way.

Move on or get a hobby.
No shame in losing to the 2022 Parramatta Eels. Great shame in losing to the 2022 Wests Tigers.

lucablight

First Grade
So you think Murphy should still be here?? Would he still have a job at the top clubs??? Let alone Kidwell or Arthur??? The bloke has won a spoon at two clubs and most of the time when we attack in the 20m zone we look like strangers. But yeah club doing all it can to win a comp……….
So many of our tries this season have been caused by other teams mistakes (dropping the ball in the in goal and an Eels player pouncing on it). The points for table has been really flattering so far.

lucablight

First Grade
Well no because we’re a chance of winning the comp even if we’re not favourites. You’re confusing can’t-get-past-week-two with haven’t-gotten-past-week-two. It’s not a foregone conclusion ffs. Sportsbet will confirm that at finals time.
Past results aren’t a good indicator of future prospects? Using that logic no coach should ever be sacked based on results.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Who do you think the buck stops with if the team is playing like that if not the coach?
Saying “the buck stops with” any one person means you’re looking for a scapegoat. Failure in rugby league is never because of just one person, and success rarely is. When one person is so influential it’s because he brings money.

As an example of this look at the two inner city Sydney clubs. At points of the 90s they were as bad as Parra. Souths were actually worse. What changed for these two clubs? Politis and Crowe. Neither of these guys were coaches. Instead they had money, and they hired people who knew where to spend it to make the clubs strong. In both cases they won premierships with good-enough coaches because the underlying recruitment/retention structures were so strong that they could build strong squads despite the salary cap.

Incidentally both those coaches are considered total jokes today by the majority of clueless nuffies who think every contest needs a scapegoat at full time.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So many of our tries this season have been caused by other teams mistakes (dropping the ball in the in goal and an Eels player pouncing on it). The points for table has been really flattering so far.
It’s because we build pressure and wear teams down. When we don’t you get what we got on the weekend.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Past results aren’t a good indicator of future prospects? Using that logic no coach should ever be sacked based on results.
Past results show we’re a chance of winning in week two of the finals. If you flipped a coin four times and got heads each time would you think there was something wrong with the coin?

lucablight

First Grade
Saying “the buck stops with” any one person means you’re looking for a scapegoat. Failure in rugby league is never because of just one person, and success rarely is. When one person is so influential it’s because he brings money.

As an example of this look at the two inner city Sydney clubs. At points of the 90s they were as bad as Parra. Souths were actually worse. What changed for these two clubs? Politis and Crowe. Neither of these guys were coaches. Instead they had money, and they hired people who knew where to spend it to make the clubs strong. In both cases they won premierships with good-enough coaches because the underlying recruitment/retention structures were so strong that they could build strong squads despite the salary cap.

Incidentally both those coaches are considered total jokes today by the majority of clueless nuffies who think every contest needs a scapegoat at full time.
Under what circumstances do you think a coach should be relieved of their duties?
It’s because we build pressure and wear teams down. When we don’t you get what we got on the weekend.
You mean we waste all of our forward domination and occasionally score arsey tries because we have so many sets near the opponents goal line? That’s not a very reliable way to win games against the good sides is it?

Past results show we’re a chance of winning in week two of the finals. If you flipped a coin four times and got heads each time would you think there was something wrong with the coin?
If I flipped the coin 36 times and it landed on heads each time then I would say that it’s not happening merely due to chance.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
LOL!! We aren't a chance of winning shit, we are the best of the rest. But we are zero chance of winning a comp. Our defence is non existent ATM.

Can’t believe people still defending the coach and players. The performance against the Tigers was EMBARRASSING! 76th Anniversary, 28,000 at the game. And they come out with that shit? Our defence and attitude was rubbish. Our defence has been rubbish from the start of the season. In the end the coach is responsible.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I never said we should sack Brad Arthur. I said I think the team is being poorly coached at this time. I also said that Brad Arthur has had plenty of chances and if he can’t get this team up then we should find someone who can. You might be ok with watching the team get taken apart on the edges for the first six rounds and bumble their way to a loss against the winless Wests Tigers but I’m not. Who do you think the buck stops with if the team is playing like that if not the coach? Are you going to sit back if we finish in sixth place again because we dropped these type of games and go out in the second round to Penrith and say oh but they were the better team?
This loss just shows there is a defence force for everything. We really have fans that are making excuses for losing as $1.05 favourites against the Tigers and saying it’s because we aren’t as good as Penrith and Melbourne. It’s mind blowing.
Why do you continually insist on misrepresenting what I say and put words in my mouth?

You've done it with virtually every single post in this conversation.

Its really shit form mate.

hindy111

Post Whore
Can’t believe people still defending the coach and players. The performance against the Tigers was EMBARRASSING! 76th Anniversary, 28,000 at the game. And they come out with that shit? Our defence and attitude was rubbish. Our defence has been rubbish from the start of the season. In the end the coach is responsible.

I've noticed on Easter weekend a lot of sides are not in the mood to play. They have a big Easter Sunday and footy isn't on their minds.
I think the positives from the game are. We where woefull and the Tigers played very good yet the game was basicaly level with 1 second to go. As much as Tiger fans want to take something from the game is there a lot they can get from it? I doubt we would play that good all season.

Scrum loss against feed, kicking out on full, missed sideline conversion to go ahead, missed field goal, bombed 2 or 3 tries when had overlap. Missing Jnr,Sivo,Waqa.....

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Under what circumstances do you think a coach should be relieved of their duties?
When their three year rolling win rate drops below 40%

Alternatively, when you’re top four and trying to retain your best young player and can get him cheap if you also give his dad the coaching job. Then you sack the existing coach.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You mean we waste all of our forward domination and occasionally score arsey tries because we have so many sets near the opponents goal line? That’s not a very reliable way to win games against the good sides is it?
There is no reliable way to beat the good sides. That’s what makes them good.

Latest posts