What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd6: Eels v Tigers GAME DAY THREAD @ Commbank Stadium 18/4/22

hindy111

Post Whore
Some people just want to believe that I love BA but I swear we’ve never only exchanged nudes once.
And I’m not saying we’ve been a 50% chance of winning in week two these past few years, but we’ve been a lot closer to 50% than the 0% these can’t-get-past-week-two simpletons seem to think.

If they really think we can’t win in week two they should put their money where their mouth is and put their house on the opposition. Even hindyeleven only had the balls to take a bet at even money.

$100 on the nose

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You’re very generous. Personally I’m of the belief you need to have a coach who is constantly improving the side. Once they can no longer do that after numerous attempts then you should move on.
There's a limit to how good any team can get though, and it's directly related to the club's resources.
Sometimes a new voice or perspective can also wonders. Do you think the Sharks were too harsh on John Morris?
Definitely. He was in charge of the club during the period they had stopped cap cheating and backended contracts from the Flanagan era were coming home to roost. They had an average squad and achieved average results.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The bet was placed after we beat the Storm and smashed the Dragons. We where 3rd favourites in betting
But if we truly are incapable of getting past week two we should be very long odds of winning the premiership. The odds reflect the fact that we are capable, and merkins who say we can't are wrong.

hindy111

Post Whore
The smart coaches will recruit guys who will fit a style they wish to play. And will increase risk pending on who they are up against.

Our side should be able to beat the bottom 4 without having to take many risks. If we play the top 6 sides we would need to increase things like offloads and risky passes so we can crack their defense.

I always would prefer to get beaten by 20 points but swinging and asking questions rather then beaten by 8 and never a chance of winning unless opposition self destructs.

Do you feel BA increases our levels of play in finals against better sides? Trick plays?
I feel we just play our own game plan and get beaten by sides who no what we will throw at them. That's y issue with BA and his coaching. The variety is predictable and we rarely improve as the season goes on.
It's why I suspect come finals we will not go far again. If we do its most likely cause the opposition didn't execute well and the bounce of ball went our way.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
The bet was placed after we beat the Storm and smashed the Dragons. We where 3rd favourites in betting
Fair enough. I probably would have taken your bet at that point as well. Less confident now though.

Either way, I expect whoever wins to shout me a beer.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
If we do its most likely cause the opposition didn't execute well and the bounce of ball went our way.
Irrespective of whether we stick to our strengths or try a bit of trickery, I think it’s almost certain that we need both of those factors against the likes of the Storm or the Panthers in the finals. They are amazing teams.

I’d be disappointed if we can’t put away the likes of the the Rabbits, Sharks, Roosters or Manly in the finals…even if we don’t mix it up.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The smart coaches will recruit guys who will fit a style they wish to play. And will increase risk pending on who they are up against.

Our side should be able to beat the bottom 4 without having to take many risks. If we play the top 6 sides we would need to increase things like offloads and risky passes so we can crack their defense.

I always would prefer to get beaten by 20 points but swinging and asking questions rather then beaten by 8 and never a chance of winning unless opposition self destructs.

Do you feel BA increases our levels of play in finals against better sides? Trick plays?
I feel we just play our own game plan and get beaten by sides who no what we will throw at them. That's y issue with BA and his coaching. The variety is predictable and we rarely improve as the season goes on.
It's why I suspect come finals we will not go far again. If we do its most likely cause the opposition didn't execute well and the bounce of ball went our way.
Well we scored 16 against the Storm in 2017, which was the most they conceded in the finals series. In 2019 we proper shat ourselves in week two. In 2020 we again scored 24 against them in Melbourne, which was (again) the most points they conceded in that finals series. Last year we scored six, which was the same amount Melbourne scored against them a week later. We also held them to eight points, their lowest total in the finals.

We can take risks when we need to. But we still need to limit the amount of ball the opposition gets.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Irrespective of whether we stick to our strengths or try a bit of trickery, I think it’s almost certain that we need both of those factors against the likes of the Storm or the Panthers in the finals. They are amazing teams.
100%

If they play their best we will lose. There's nothing Arthur or any coach can do about it. If we play our best and they don't we're a chance, and history is full of teams underperforming against weaker opponents in big games. That's the chance we're waiting for. The obvious solution is to become the best team in the comp, but if it was that easy we would've done it at least once since 2005. It takes far more than coaching. In fact I'd say coaching isn't even the major factor. Are we forgetting Sticky, Maguire and Green all won premierships? One of them doesn't even have a job now. Another is on thin ice and Sticky is unemployable outside of Canberra. Much like a career politician.
I’d be disappointed if we can’t put away the likes of the the Rabbits, Sharks, Roosters or Manly in the finals…even if we don’t mix it up.
I think we can definitely beat those teams in the finals but there's no guarantees. If we win does that mean their coach failed?

Latest posts