What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd7: Eels v Knights GAME DAY THREAD in Newcastle 24/4/22

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
He would've played more minutes as a half
Matterson? Ten games in the halves, 25 off the bench, 5 starting in the middle. It's possible he played more minutes in the halves but unlikely I think. It's been years since he started a game in the backs. Put it down to one of those failed experiments. The biggest question is how a bloke that big became a five-eighth in the first place.
Tbh, he played a bit like Jason Smith yesterday
I remember Jason Smith as more of an edge player.

yy_cheng

Coach
Matterson? Ten games in the halves, 25 off the bench, 5 starting in the middle. It's possible he played more minutes in the halves but unlikely I think. It's been years since he started a game in the backs. Put it down to one of those failed experiments. The biggest question is how a bloke that big became a five-eighth in the first place.
I remember Jason Smith as more of an edge player.
He will be a centre in attack and a half in defence as bandwagon had said that's how dyl played

Im saying if he would play the full 80.

Which as you said, he would then be on the field longer

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I look at yesterday's performance and couldnt be more proud of the response from a poor loss to the Tigers, which after their win over Souths, isnt so bad now.

We barely made too many mistakes, I thought it wasnt looking early when they went the short drop out early and we were down by 2 points but we turned it around and didnt panic.

There were certain plays during the game that we've improved so much on it, like a lose ball and someone is always there, the scramble in the defence when there's a big line break.

Whilst the media will think this was a diabolical performance from Newcastle, I think it was great from us to put on an ambush and not concede a try at all (the first time since R 1 2020, just before COVID).

Happy the way we played and I hope they can continue on with it against probably a better opposition in the Cowboys in Darwin. Bring it on.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
He will be a centre in attack and a half in defence as bandwagon had said that's how dyl played

Im saying if he would play the full 80.

Which as you said, he would then be on the field longer
On the field longer but not playing him to his strengths. What's the point? We need him in the middle.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Well tell that to ba who plays him mainly on the edge
We have four NRL calibre merkins who can play edge forward: Lane, Papali'i, Matterson and Niukore. There's also Cartwright who is NRL calibre at his best but f**k knows what's wrong with him half the time. The point is, when two of these are playing on the edges, the other two are needed as part of the middle rotation, whether starting or off the bench. It all depends on whether Paulo, Nrown and RCG are playing.

eels_fan

First Grade
For those interested at home...

Dally Ms are in

3 - Moses
2- Mahoney
1 - RCG

Moses is 2nd on the leaderboard tied with Yeo on 12 points. The Mulleted Melbourne bloke is leading on 15 points