What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Re-signings clarification

Bald Tiger

Juniors
As I understand it we have 2 or 3 spots left to fill in the JV squad of 25 for next season? But who has yet to be re-signed? Are John Wilson and Darren Senter the 2 first graders still not signed yet? Are there others? Anybody got the latest news? Any other rumours of other new signings?

brook

First Grade
I think Mark will be re-signed even though he's unlikely to be in the top team, despite the opinions of a lot of fans its pretty clear that Sheens likes him and given he won't command much money he's a very useful player to have around because when injuries hit he can be relied upon to slot into the team with no worries about his defence - he's also capable of scoring when he gets quality ball and is a hard worker - exactly the sort of player we will all be very grateful to have around when injurys start to take a toll.

Snide the Tiger

Juniors
I agree Brook - and Sheensy has been quoted mid-season listing Mark as one of the youngsters he plans to build the club around!

However - the management has proven to be fickle as regards their interest in both recruiting and retaining players (Solomona being a case in point - and Wilson now rumoured to be on the outer despite an earlier offer)!

I just hope Elford is not expected to somehow replace Wilson - O'Halloran and Bradley combined!!

Tigerpete

Juniors
Add Clayton to that list too! Wilson requested he show some form before signing anything, perhaps the first offer was poor, his form of late defenetly warrants an upgrade. It'll be a dog fight for those 2-3 spots, thats for sure!

BJ

Juniors
Withers is also un-signed for next year.. one of the posters on the official forum emailed noyce and noyce replied saying that withers was yet to be re-signed etc..

gr8_1

Juniors
To answer some of your questions check out my email below to Steve Noyce. Seems like Wilson, O'Hallaran, Withers arent in the PLAN.

Hi ,
Thank you for your email.
25 is the NRL number.
The additional names that we are working on are;

Michael Buettner
Chris Heighington
Gray Viane
Luke Covell
Benji Marshall
Liam Fulton

There are a number of young players on WT NRL contracts.
Regards,
Steve

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, 14 August 2003 12:13
To: snoyce@weststigers.com.au
Subject: 2004 Squad

Dear Mr Noyce,

Could you please help me with a question I have.

As I understand 25 players get included in the salary cap for 1st grade
(please correct me if Im wrong)

So that means our squad so far is -
1. Hodgson
2. Richards
3. Halatau
4. Fitzhenry
5. Covell
6. Prince
7. Reynolds
8. Payten
9. Farah
10. Skandalis
11. O'Neill
12. Galea
13. Sattler
14. Graham
15. Laffranchi
16. C. Hill
17. Mears
18. Miles
19. Patterson
20. Elford

Who will cover positions 21-25 ?

Are the younger guys like Marshall, Collis etc on actual Wests Tiger
contracts for 1st grade ?

Also, is there any players on the list that shouldnt be there or any that I
have not included ?

Your help would be appreciated.

Regards

Mighty Tiger

Bench
What you also must realise is that so clubs have been known to use over 40 players a season.

Players like Benji, Hieghnigton, Viane and Fulton could all be contracted to the junior clubs for next season during the off season and then be promoted into the top grade before round 1 or at some stage during the season.

Withers, Wilson and O'Halloran could all therfore be granted a contract for a top grade spot.

Also note that because Withers, Wilson and O'Halloran to name a few havn't been resigned he isn't going to mention there names for consideration for a top grade spot will he until they do resign!

Bald Tiger

Juniors
Thanks gr8_1 for that list. Its very interesting. Take your point Mighty about players who dont make the first cut of 25 but established first graders like Lincoln Withers or John Wilson are unlikely to be happy on Balmain or Magpies contracts. Surely they would look elsewhere?

Mighty Tiger

Bench
Bald Tiger said:
Thanks gr8_1 for that list. Its very interesting. Take your point Mighty about players who dont make the first cut of 25 but established first graders like Lincoln Withers or John Wilson are unlikely to be happy on Balmain or Magpies contracts. Surely they would look elsewhere?

Ahhh my point is that if Withers and Wilson did stay they would be one of the contracted 25 players of course and therefore players like Fulton and Heighnington could drop back to the first division squad only for the pre-season.

Just remember that apart from the 25 top players that another 25 players will be drafted into a train on squad during the off season for training meassures

gr8_1

Juniors
I think what the email means is that the top 25 players will be on Wests Tigers contracts... and will count for the salary cap .... the players Steve Noyce mentioned are the ones the club are working on to add to the list ...

I hate to say this, but I feel that Withers and Wilson are not part of the "plan". I would be keeping both.