What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Re-start to season

murraymob

Coach
How do we feel about losing our 4 points in a re-start.It is clear Robinson and politics are pushing for it.Penrith and the other clubs should not lay down like they normally to to these two.The games where NRL games so must stand
I personally doubt the season will kick off if at all this season

Kilkenny

Coach
How do we feel about losing our 4 points in a re-start.It is clear Robinson and politics are pushing for it.Penrith and the other clubs should not lay down like they normally to to these two.The games where NRL games so must stand

Firstly, I have no doubt the NRL season will re-start. Maybe one week later than the May 28 date but certainly no doubt in my mind it will be back. This virus is going to be with us for 6/12/18 months or longer and we have to live with it and at some stage re-open our economy otherwise the economic consequences are going to be far more catastrophic than the virus itself.

Equally I have no doubt the points acquired in the first two rounds will stand. There is absolutely no reasonable argument that would accomodate the re-start of the competition where all clubs are on zero. It won’t happen, while it may be a powerhouse in the Roosters pushing for it, it just won’t happen. We will retain our four points went the comp restarts and rightly so.

franklin2323

Immortal
Firstly, I have no doubt the NRL season will re-start. Maybe one week later than the May 28 date but certainly no doubt in my mind it will be back. This virus is going to be with us for 6/12/18 months or longer and we have to live with it and at some stage re-open our economy otherwise the economic consequences are going to be far more catastrophic than the virus itself.

Equally I have no doubt the points acquired in the first two rounds will stand. There is absolutely no reasonable argument that would accomodate the re-start of the competition where all clubs are on zero. It won’t happen, while it may be a powerhouse in the Roosters pushing for it, it just won’t happen. We will retain our four points went the comp restarts and rightly so.

28 May might be 2 weeks too early but atleast are aiming for something.

Those points should count or else what was the point of Round 2. Or the pre season before it

Kilkenny

Coach
28 May might be 2 weeks too early but atleast are aiming for something.

Those points should count or else what was the point of Round 2. Or the pre season before it

There is absolutely no reason, medical or otherwise, that should preclude the NRL from re-starting.

I truly believe the sooner he country starts to unwind the lockdown the better off we all will be, particularly from a financial perspective.

My wife and I who are both in the high risk category so in order to continue to avoid the possibility of contracting this virus we will continue to take all the necessary precautions so even if all shops are open, restaurants up and running we will still observed common sense avoid putting ourselves at risk. Those much less at risk can kick start the economy in the short term.

franklin2323

Immortal
There is absolutely no reason, medical or otherwise, that should preclude the NRL from re-starting.

I truly believe the sooner he country starts to unwind the lockdown the better off we all will be, particularly from a financial perspective.

My wife and I who are both in the high risk category so in order to continue to avoid the possibility of contracting this virus we will continue to take all the necessary precautions so even if all shops are open, restaurants up and running we will still observed common sense avoid putting ourselves at risk. Those much less at risk can kick start the economy in the short term.

As it stands now the QLD border is closed but the rate of infection is under 50 a day across the country. You would think a few more weeks of this and those border restrictions would be loosened.

That is it. I am fit and healthy so very likely won’t get in hospital if I get it. Have a stable work place so for me I want to go out spend money and keep people employed.

Plenty of ways to do that safely. Also I am not going to Panthers or something IF I have plans to see someone in that high risk category.

TheFrog

Coach
We won a comp after losing the first 2 games. If the Roosters are good enough they will too.

Fangs

Coach
If they remove the points they can't go ahead and call it the Telstra premiership. Its a heavily modified season as it stands so to pretend its equal to any other year is wrong.

At the same time its not deserving of an asterisk ala the premierships 'won' by Melbourne in the 2000's. Give it its own trophy. Maybe a plate with with Cam Smith's face on it.

If it goes ahead as planned it will be a very interesting competition.

franklin2323

Immortal
If they remove the points they can't go ahead and call it the Telstra premiership. Its a heavily modified season as it stands so to pretend its equal to any other year is wrong.

At the same time its not deserving of an asterisk ala the premierships 'won' by Melbourne in the 2000's. Give it its own trophy. Maybe a plate with with Cam Smith's face on it.

If it goes ahead as planned it will be a very interesting competition.

NRL won’t want creditabilty lost so will leave it as is points wise

GongPanther

Referee
They take the two points, it will piss off the winning players massively as opposed to those who lost one or two matches, as it will unfairly put those players in an unfair state of mind from the resumption of the competition, and this I think is the prime reason why Politis threw his hat in the ring. The NRL will also have to consider the backlash from the supporters, which I'm sure there would be a lot of grumbling at season's end if teams are losing out of prime spots in the final 8 table.

John Hamblin

Juniors
They take the two points, it will piss off the winning players massively as opposed to those who lost one or two matches, as it will unfairly put those players in an unfair state of mind from the resumption of the competition, and this I think is the prime reason why Politis threw his hat in the ring. The NRL will also have to consider the backlash from the supporters, which I'm sure there would be a lot of grumbling at season's end if teams are losing out of prime spots in the final 8 table.

I agree totally BUT Nick Politis wont be losing sleep over it.

Kilkenny

Coach
I sincerely understand the whole ‘plan & prepare’ for the worst case scenario but it is clear our so called ‘modelling’ and ‘predictions’ around how many persons could be become infected or worse still die from this virus were somewhat extreme to say the least. Unlike other parts of the world who have been impacted much more severely than we have I do think we are far better placed to minimise the ‘financial consequences’ of this pandemic and as such we should be better placed to find a way out of this mess sooner rather than later. While re-starting the NRL competition may not have a major impact on our economy overall it would provide people with a distraction at the very least from the impact of social isolation. I know from personal experience I would be in a far better position on Thursday thru Mondays if I had 8 NRL games to watch.

Kilkenny

Coach
I accept there are far more educated and smarter minds than me out there dealing with this current crisis but I really, really fear the financial consequences and emotional toll is far in excess of the impacts from this virus. Again purely from an NRL perspective I see no reason why we cannot have fans attending games in accordance with social distancing requirements from May 28. From a NSW perspective play all or most games at the Olympic Stadium with appropriate spacing in between seats, one fan for every three seats, use only every second row, social distancing around the food and beverage facilities, toilets etc and I see no reason why it cannot be done in a controlled manner. Transport to and from the ground is an issue, but not insurmountable. Seriously if we couldn’t provide an entirely safe environment for 20,000 fans at ANZ even if there was someone in the crowd who had the virus I’ll give the game away. It just seems to me in all this hysteria we are all about why we cannot open the economy as opposed to making things happen in a safe and workable manner.

Every death is sad regardless of the age of the person, but really when we look at the overall perspective we are not shooting ourselves in foot here, we are actually shooting ourselves in the chest and the economic consequences are dire and far worse that the consequences of the virus. My opinion only, but we are digging a massive hole for the community as a whole that is going to take a decade or more to recover from, long after this virus has passed. There is probably not a person out there who has not been impacted directly or indirectly by this situation, my sister lost here job yesterday, she is a single mum, she is in dire straits and given here occupation it didn’t need to be this way. I think our Governments for the most part have done a terrific job up until now but cometh the hour cometh the man and we need to start opening our economy up again otherwise this pain will far exceed missing just the NRL.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
I accept there are far more educated and smarter minds than me out there dealing with this current crisis but I really, really fear the financial consequences and emotional toll is far in excess of the impacts from this virus. Again purely from an NRL perspective I see no reason why we cannot have fans attending games in accordance with social distancing requirements from May 28. From a NSW perspective play all or most games at the Olympic Stadium with appropriate spacing in between seats, one fan for every three seats, use only every second row, social distancing around the food and beverage facilities, toilets etc and I see no reason why it cannot be done in a controlled manner. Transport to and from the ground is an issue, but not insurmountable. Seriously if we couldn’t provide an entirely safe environment for 20,000 fans at ANZ even if there was someone in the crowd who had the virus I’ll give the game away. It just seems to me in all this hysteria we are all about why we cannot open the economy as opposed to making things happen in a safe and workable manner.

Every death is sad regardless of the age of the person, but really when we look at the overall perspective we are not shooting ourselves in foot here, we are actually shooting ourselves in the chest and the economic consequences are dire and far worse that the consequences of the virus. My opinion only, but we are digging a massive hole for the community as a whole that is going to take a decade or more to recover from, long after this virus has passed. There is probably not a person out there who has not been impacted directly or indirectly by this situation, my sister lost here job yesterday, she is a single mum, she is in dire straits and given here occupation it didn’t need to be this way. I think our Governments for the most part have done a terrific job up until now but cometh the hour cometh the man and we need to start opening our economy up again otherwise this pain will far exceed missing just the NRL.

that would be a good way easy to spread fans out even a few hundred will bring some atmosphere

Sorry to hear about your sister’s situation Kilkenny. Is she able to claim any benefits?

I hope she’s able to get back on her feet soon.

Kilkenny

Coach
Sorry to hear about your sister’s situation Kilkenny. Is she able to claim any benefits?

I hope she’s able to get back on her feet soon.

Appreciate it. Her loosing her job has only happened in the last week and even when working she rarely ever has two twenty cent pieces to rub together such as the struggles of single parents surviving on relatively modest paying jobs. I’m sure she will be entitled to Government support, how soon that happens I’m not sure.

Kilkenny

Coach
that would be a good way easy to spread fans out even a few hundred will bring some atmosphere

I have no doubt we could accomodate 20,000 plus crowds at ANZ, 8,000-10,000 at the new Parramatta Stadium while still being able to comply with social distancing requirements. We need to kick start our economy on so many ways not just the NRL the financial implications on this on going lockdown are catostrophic and we will likely to be paying for it for 10-20 years to come if we don’t find a way out sooner rather than later.