What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Rebuffed" Astle to retire???

JJ

Immortal
It'd be a huge shame IMO if Bracewell's policy led to Astle deciding he'd had enough - great servant for NZ cricket, and deserves better...

The scary thing (for NZ fans) is that Boock is often on the mark...

Richard Boock: Selectors' actions leave Astle feeling rebuffed

Don't be surprised if there's another twist in the Nathan Astle story.

Within the space of a month, the man who engineered New Zealand's win at Christchurch has moved from being vulnerable to being an automatic selection for the one-day squad, a journey that's taken a dramatic toll on his sense of trust and confidence.

It might have been all beer and skittles for a couple of moments at Jade Stadium on Saturday night, but Astle is clearly still carrying the scars from his earlier axings, and his simmering resentment is unlikely to dissipate quickly.

Normally stoic and difficult to read, he was almost speechless with anger at a press conference following his match-winning and unbeaten 90 against Sri Lanka last month, when he was drafted in as a late replacement and told immediately afterwards that he'd been dropped again.

He moved from looking confused, to looking deeply unhappy, to looking betrayed and even exploited, a not unnatural reaction given coach John Bracewell's hard-line selection tactics.

It became so bad that it's now believed that Astle was considering immediate retirement from the game last month, and went as far as talking to confidantes about his options while spelling out his distrust in the selectors.

Even after the dizzy heights of Saturday night, Astle appeared a couple of degrees removed from the excitement afterwards, and almost choked while delivering the party line, that the experience had been beneficial for him.

The question now is whether Bracewell and his fellow selectors have really won, or whether the gamble may yet cost them everything at the worst possible time.

History is littered with examples of sporting figures who have battled back from a selection rebuff to make themselves indispensable, before giving the decision-makers what could only be interpreted as the middle finger.

Only this month Astle watched in dismay as long-time teammate Chris Cairns controversially ended his career after being targeted by Bracewell, and a similar response cannot be ruled out over the next few months.

Cairns was dumped from the team that toured South Africa before fighting his way back for the Chappell-Hadlee series, and was looking in vintage form with the bat when he abruptly turned his back on the selection panel.

Double All Black Jeff Wilson was another to respond strongly to adversity, fighting back after an initial snub from John Mitchell to enjoy a superb Super 12 season for the Highlanders, before opting to pull the pin on his career.

Astle is a level-headed 34-year-old, a husband and father of one (soon to be two), and the most influential one-day batsman in New Zealand history.

Yet his brooding dissatisfaction over his treatment this year has caused him to examine far more than merely his batting strategy; it's prompted him to take a step back and look at the bigger picture, to reinforce what is dear to him.

With that in mind, New Zealand fans and almost certainly the selectors as well, will be hoping that cricket figures somewhere near the top of his priority list for the next 12 months, and particularly for the challenges looming in Australia and the Caribbean.

For all that - and here's a tip - I wouldn't be sprinting down to the betting shop just yet.

HevyDevy

Coach
I like Astle. One of those blokes that gets down to business and doesn't get intimidated by reputations or whatever. He and captain Fleming always challenge Australia without being arrogant c**ks about it (memo Graeme Smith).

At his best he's almost impossible to stop. Just lacks consistency.

Lego_Man

First Grade
Bracewell's a tosser, and for every step forward he's taken one backwards. Our ODI success has come at the expense of the test team. Should give Rigger's autobiography a read.

salivor

First Grade
I'll start off with a disclaimer that I'm by no stretch of the imagination a Bracewell fan and While I was in favour of the initial dropping of Astle, I did find it hard to fathom how you can drop a man after coming back and scoring 90. The dropping was always more to motivate Astle and motivation you got.

It does strike of arrogance from Astle though if he would consider throwing it away over something so trivial. We're slowly breaking the culture that has been there for too long with a core group of players who have had no performance accountability. The one good thing that Bracewell era has now introduced is depth, the likes of which we haven't seen in the last decade. No more can people cry foul that "oh you can't drop him because theres no one to replace him", now we have plenty of young players, particularly batsman lining up to take their place.

While I'd love to see Astle carry on and he is no doubt going to be an integral part of our World Cup campaign, if changing the culture of the black caps and setting up a much healthier and more competitive future for NZ Cricket puts the odd nose out of joint then so be it.

choc_soldier

Coach
I'm a big fan of Astle. I know it may be drawing a ling bow, but this reminds me of the Bevan debacle. I would love to see him play in the next world cup, but it looks like selection policies could force him to prematurely retire. Which is a big shame.

edabomb

First Grade
salivor said:
I'll start off with a disclaimer that I'm by no stretch of the imagination a Bracewell fan and While I was in favour of the initial dropping of Astle, I did find it hard to fathom how you can drop a man after coming back and scoring 90. The dropping was always more to motivate Astle and motivation you got.

It does strike of arrogance from Astle though if he would consider throwing it away over something so trivial. We're slowly breaking the culture that has been there for too long with a core group of players who have had no performance accountability. The one good thing that Bracewell era has now introduced is depth, the likes of which we haven't seen in the last decade. No more can people cry foul that "oh you can't drop him because theres no one to replace him", now we have plenty of young players, particularly batsman lining up to take their place.

While I'd love to see Astle carry on and he is no doubt going to be an integral part of our World Cup campaign, if changing the culture of the black caps and setting up a much healthier and more competitive future for NZ Cricket puts the odd nose out of joint then so be it.

I agree in theory, but it definately shouldn't of been Astle who was made the scapegoat. IMO he is our only batsman that has shown consistent mental strength and concentration skills over the past decade. Other players like Fleming and McMillan will make a big score here and there, but Astle now has 11 test hundreds and 16 ODI hundreds. For a nation that has trouble finding players with the mental strength to convert good innings into match winning ones, I cannot fathom why Astle was ever dropped.

JJ

Immortal
Marc Herbert said:
I agree in theory, but it definately shouldn't of been Astle who was made the scapegoat. IMO he is our only batsman that has shown consistent mental strength and concentration skills over the past decade. Other players like Fleming and McMillan will make a big score here and there, but Astle now has 11 test hundreds and 16 ODI hundreds. For a nation that has trouble finding players with the mental strength to convert good innings into match winning ones, I cannot fathom why Astle was ever dropped.

agree 100%!

Latest posts