What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rebuilding or Demolition?

daRque

Juniors
Upon re-admittance we were told we were “re-building” from the ground up. After two full seasons I feel it’s time for a report card on how the people we trust with the future of our club have performed in their self admitted task of “re-building” South Sydney.
Let’s look at a definition of re-building;

re•build (r -b ld )
tr.v. re•built, (-b lt ) re•build•ing, re•builds
1. To build again.
2. To make extensive structural repairs on.
3. To remodel or make extensive changes in: tried to rebuild society.

In 2002 we had a bad season. Paul Dunn appeared to be making efforts to drag Souths into the new century, but rumour stated his hands were being tied by George Piggins and his loyalists. I guess we’ll never know the truth of the Dunn Reign. Suffice to say any efforts that were made did not work out, we stayed with our “traditional” mindset on conducting business, and Dunn vanished.

Piggins as usual couldn’t keep quiet in the press and once again we were continually in the papers for all the wrong reasons. At the end of the season many were calling for the head of Craig Coleman due to the fact we were the de-facto winners of the wooden spoon and only had five wins in total. Instead of addressing the coaching situation at the end of the season, Souths in their usual unprofessional manner avoided the professional way at all costs.

We decided to go into season 2003 with a game target set on Coleman’s head. Not fair on Coleman or the Souths fans. We needed stability and confidence. We received instead the unknown and a weight over our coach’s head.

We entered 2002 with the type of public support and goodwill that money alone could not buy, a heap of sponsorship and the position of being almost everyone’s second side.
By the end of 2002 that was gone, blown away and destroyed by our ineptitude.

Out of 5 I’d have to give our “teachers” 0 for their efforts in 2002.

2003 has been far worse. We started the year off with Tugger as coach. After giving him reassurances regarding 2003, he was punted during the trials. He was understandably upset that Mr Piggins had gone back on his word of a “5 game test” and Tugger was gone.

Coach #1 for 2003, terminated.

Phil Blake appointed as interim coach. But wait, there’s more. In our usually highly professional manner someone forgot to ask Mr Blake IF he had a coaching certificate. He didn’t.

Coach #2 for 2003, terminated.

Langmack was then installed as interim coach pending his early performances.

This was Coach #3 for 2003.

After stating Langmack would have to win 3 out of the first five to secure the position AND saying he would not give him the job until after the AGM as he did not want to lump the new board with a coach they didn’t want, Mr Piggins then completely contradicted this and gave Langmack the job after 2 losses.

The rest is history. Our CEO making public blunder after public blunder. The Chris Walker fiasco, losing Merritt, lack of first grade signings for 2004 etc etc etc.
And the bottom line is we finished with three wins.

Not only have we not rebuilt a damn thing, but we’ve gone backwards. The people so far that have been in charge of our rebuilding have not taken one step forward, we are now in a far more precarious and unstable situation than we were at the start of season 2002.

Only at Souths could we take a fantastic opportunity of much goodwill and excitement and turn it into a disaster.

For 2003 the report card reads -2 out of 5.

Now, we hear the rumours of our great restructuring to be announced this Friday includes the retention of Langmack and Tapp.

I’m predicting our report card for 2004 will be close to -5 if the retention of proven failures continues.

Did we learn even ONE thing from the ridiculous mistakes of 2002?
Apparently not.

We have a coach that has failed. Do we address this now? Of course not, that's what a professional club would do. We'll start the year with a guy that's proven he can't coach, then probably dump him a few weeks in to the comp.

How will things improve if we never seem to learn?

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ya gotta admit he's got a point, I'll agree with any souths supporter who don't mind knocking his own team, their players are not team players, they don't play with any heart or passion, their coach is inept, the board is full of people who have not played nor had anything to do with Rugby League, other than support a team, Your fans turn out in droves to get the team in the comp, and once they're back, they all go back home and stop turning up at matches.

To put it bluntly, your a heartless team, with no future.

RifRaf

Juniors
Correct Mad Unit, it would seem from my analysis also that souths are rooted and would be best bulldozed to make way for more Meriton Apartments....

tigamitch

Juniors
lets face it souths need to accidently play a awesome junior player that wants to play for the dunnies to become competitive, as long as he can tackle and run for everyone

HappyTiger

Juniors
OOOHH.........i thought for a minute we were talking about Demolishing Redfern Oval and Souths Leagues.AWWW what a shame :( :( :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tigerpete

Juniors
Bottom line is Souths are a failure and it doesnt look like changing anytime soon!!! I suggest they recruit a little smarter than they have been , at leasty riddle is a good start, but they seriously gotta find 5 or 6 of those type of players, at the moment their not even close.

RifRaf

Juniors
JUst boot them out again... All the arguements they made for coming back in have back fired on them..... All new mangement = Now worse than ever, new sponsors = no one wants to touch them, new personnel = shit has beens and never we'res competetive = 2 spoons in a row.. Kick them out sooner rather than later so we can pisss these losers off to the metro cup forum!!! You had a second chance with all the money and player wanting to come to you and within 2 years = shit... You don't deserve to be here so lets kick em out and get on with the future rather than risking our players to injury in meaningless games......

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think this is the reason why people are like Sailor, Rogers, McCrae, Thorne and Blacklock all turned their backs on League and went to union. So that they could have a tough match every time they played, not 13 tough matches and then play Souths and pretty much run on your reserves for the Under 16's and still win by 90.

Souths suck, read my signature, you will see the proof.

Slugs

madunit said:
I think this is the reason why people are like Sailor, Rogers, McCrae, Thorne and Blacklock all turned their backs on League and went to union. So that they could have a tough match every time they played, not 13 tough matches and then play Souths and pretty much run on your reserves for the Under 16's and still win by 90.

Souths suck, read my signature, you will see the proof.

two words for the 3 stooges..........MERGED SCUM

Tigerpete

Juniors
Slugs.....................just wanna remind you of where u stand.............................ratsarse needs his sausage back!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
just like normal, you get beaten so you go back to old square one "merged scum". You've tried harder having a shit when you've got diahorrea than that lame arsed response right there. :lol:

RifRaf

Juniors
TWENTY SIX WORDS FOR YOU: LANGMACK COACH, TEZZA FOR EXPERIENCE, TWO SPOONS IN A ROW AND DRIBBLING IDIOT MANAGEMENT WHO COULDN'T READ A ROAD SIGN LET ALONE SIGN A DECENT PLAYER

Slugs

RifRaf said:
TWENTY SIX WORDS FOR YOU: LANGMACK COACH, TEZZA FOR EXPERIENCE, TWO SPOONS IN A ROW AND DRIBBLING IDIOT MANAGEMENT WHO COULDN'T READ A ROAD SIGN LET ALONE SIGN A DECENT PLAYER

.........and two wins against the MERGED SCUMS :lol: :lol: :lol:

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
and a partridge in a pear tree.

That's a good song you got going there Rif. :lol:

Tigerpete

Juniors
ratsarse is still waiting for u to give him his sausage slugs.................too tasty is it?????? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

RifRaf

Juniors
And I get in trouble from "Seano" for calling you a genius..... When you keep drooling out the same inane shit over and over "merged scum" what else am I supposed to think? You sure ain't a rocket scientist..

Tigerpete

Juniors
Riif, He's geniused , he cant help it, whereas your not geniused and u can help what u say........speaking of which i hope seano doesnt read this? :lol: :lol: :lol:

RifRaf

Juniors
Seano would be too busy wiping Slugs' arse for him, hope he doesn't drop a chobby out while you got your hand down there........ Oh well at least it might make a good player... You could "mould" him into a half back...

Tigerpete

Juniors
Talk about team players!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Speaking of which, souths need a few more.............................come on ratsarse and cassie, help your club out!

Latest posts