What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recommendation for fellow Panther Fans

tripster

Juniors
Guys, I was in JB Hifi the other day and spotted a Panthers 50th Anniversary Collection DVD collection. Seems to have come out recently. It comes in a tin case that has a ton of DVDs in it with classic matches

Of course it has the 2003 and 1991 Grand final. But it also has a ton of classic games from over the years. I looked through it and remembered being at the ground for some of the games, (like year 2000, round 18 against the West Tigers when Tony Puletua scored three tries and Chris Hicks kicked all those goals in that ridiculous come back). I also noticed the Round 26 game against Northern Eagles in 2002 when we put more than 60 points on them. It doesn't have games from the earlier chocolate solider era. Earliest game is 1990 Semi against the Broncos.

It cost $60.

This might be old news to all of you, but for those of you haven't heard, definitely recommend it. Possibly a good Christmas present recommendation also.

Highly recommend it.

Edit: thanks to BxTom below for the link

Last edited:

GongPanther

Referee
Got most of them on DVD.Thinking of releasing them either on YouTube or dark net...or whatever.Channel 7 and the ABC had most of the old stuff (and only the more popular clubs were kept) but fell into deterioration,or because they simply got thrown out when different forms of media came through and the storage areas were prioritised.Skips of old footage simply discarded.I hope that anyone who was driving the garbo truck saw the value and kept them.

ACTPanthers

Bench
Thanks guys - Picked up the Essentials one the other day - Love watching the 91 semi against the Bears :) Might have to grab the one above as well

Thanks for the link guys. here is the info. 10 dvds.

Step back into the annals of Rugby League history and experience some of the greatest ever games from the Penrith Panthers. Joining the competition in 1967, the Mountain Men won their first Premiership in 1991, having built momentum throughout the 1980s. In this limited edition 50th anniversary collection we celebrate 20 of the greatest ever games from the Penrith Panthers as chosen by the Panthers Club. Relive stunning performances from club legends such as Greg Alexander, Royce Simmons, Mark Geyer, John Cartwright, Craig Gower, Ryan Girdler and many more.

Includes complete replays of the 1991 and 2003 Grand final victories in their entire original broadcast format.

1990, SEMI-FINAL PANTHERS VS BRONCOS
1991, SEMI-FINAL PANTHERS VS BEARS
1992, ROUND 13 PANTHERS VS MAGPIES
1997, ROUND 8 PANTHERS VS BRONCOS
1997, SEMI-FINAL PANTHERS VS BULLDOGS
1998, ROUND 4 PANTHERS VS RAMS
1999, ROUND 3 PANTHERS VS MAGPIES
2000, ROUND 18 PANTHERS VS WESTS TIGERS
2002, ROUND 26 PANTHERS VS NORTHERN EAGLES
2003, QUARTER FINAL PANTHERS VS BRONCOS
2003, SEMI-FINAL PANTHERS VS WARRIORS
2004, ROUND 22 PANTHERS VS SEA EAGLES
2004, QUARTER FINAL PANTHERS VS DRAGONS
2007, ROUND 3 PANTHERS VS BRONCOS
2008, ROUND 12 PANTHERS VSCOWBOYS
2009, ROUND 21 PANTHERS VS WARRIORS
2013, ROUND 10 PANTHERS VS WARRIORS
2014, QUARTER FINAL PANTHERS VS ROOSTERS
1991, GRAND FINAL PANTHERS VS RAIDERS
2003, GRAND FINAL PANTHERS VS ROOSTERS
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/movies-tv...-panthers-50th-anniversary-collection/967734/

Some good games there.

TheFrog

Coach
Just ordered this set. Pity it doesn't have the '84 match against the Steelers at Penrith, the most exciting game of rugby league I've ever seen. I don't think this game exists on video sadly.

forby

Juniors
Just dropped the hint for Fathers Day. It is a shame it doesn't have anything pre 1990. There were so many games and players today's fans should see. I suppose I am lucky to have watched at least one game each year for the past 50.

tripster

Juniors
.... Pity it doesn't have the '84 match against the Steelers at Penrith, the most exciting game of rugby league I've ever seen. I don't think this game exists on video sadly.

This, and Forby and Yak also mentioned some good old games.

Seriously we should get another list of great old games for the diehard fans, and make some enquiries and see if they can be tracked down. If they think there is enough of a market they might release them onto DVD. Most of the traditional TV stations are losing revenue big time these days with the rise of the Internet - if they released a bunch of old sets for all the different clubs across the league there could be some money in it for them,

TheFrog

Coach
Another great old game that I still have is the 23-2 win over Canberra at Bruce Stadium in July 1990. One of only 3 games Paul Taylor played for us and without doubt the best. I've still got this one, called by Rex Mossop and a rather breathless Ian Maurice (a rampant Panthers supporter). Might have to put it onto YouTube.

GongPanther

Referee
Thanks for the link guys. here is the info. 10 dvds.

Step back into the annals of Rugby League history and experience some of the greatest ever games from the Penrith Panthers. Joining the competition in 1967, the Mountain Men won their first Premiership in 1991, having built momentum throughout the 1980s. In this limited edition 50th anniversary collection we celebrate 20 of the greatest ever games from the Penrith Panthers as chosen by the Panthers Club. Relive stunning performances from club legends such as Greg Alexander, Royce Simmons, Mark Geyer, John Cartwright, Craig Gower, Ryan Girdler and many more.

Includes complete replays of the 1991 and 2003 Grand final victories in their entire original broadcast format.

1990, SEMI-FINAL PANTHERS VS BRONCOS
1991, SEMI-FINAL PANTHERS VS BEARS
1992, ROUND 13 PANTHERS VS MAGPIES
1997, ROUND 8 PANTHERS VS BRONCOS
1997, SEMI-FINAL PANTHERS VS BULLDOGS
1998, ROUND 4 PANTHERS VS RAMS
1999, ROUND 3 PANTHERS VS MAGPIES
2000, ROUND 18 PANTHERS VS WESTS TIGERS
2002, ROUND 26 PANTHERS VS NORTHERN EAGLES
2003, QUARTER FINAL PANTHERS VS BRONCOS
2003, SEMI-FINAL PANTHERS VS WARRIORS
2004, ROUND 22 PANTHERS VS SEA EAGLES
2004, QUARTER FINAL PANTHERS VS DRAGONS
2007, ROUND 3 PANTHERS VS BRONCOS
2008, ROUND 12 PANTHERS VSCOWBOYS
2009, ROUND 21 PANTHERS VS WARRIORS
2013, ROUND 10 PANTHERS VS WARRIORS
2014, QUARTER FINAL PANTHERS VS ROOSTERS
1991, GRAND FINAL PANTHERS VS RAIDERS
2003, GRAND FINAL PANTHERS VS ROOSTERS
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/movies-tv...-panthers-50th-anniversary-collection/967734/

Some good games there.

Just put my order in...hope these dvds are TV quality or they'll be going straight back.

tripster

Juniors
Let me how the quality is gong. I will probably order it soon.

I have watched the 1991 GF, the round 26 game against Northern Eagles in 2002 and the 2003 GF. Quality of all of them was good.

The 1991 GF has about two seconds where it goes blank (presumably an issue with the VHS from which it was recorded), but otherwise it is clear as day.

mxlegend99

Referee
Is the 2003 grand final better than the release from years ago? My copy is interlaced and looks really average.

tripster

Juniors
Is the 2003 grand final better than the release from years ago? My copy is interlaced and looks really average.
I haven't seen the release from a few years ago, but the quality of the 2003 GF on this set is fine. Obviously it isn't full HD (as that didn't exist back then), but I had no issue with it.

Whino

Bench
I have watched the 1991 GF, the round 26 game against Northern Eagles in 2002 and the 2003 GF. Quality of all of them was good.

The 1991 GF has about two seconds where it goes blank (presumably an issue with the VHS from which it was recorded), but otherwise it is clear as day.

Cheers.

TheFrog

Coach
My set has arrived today. I'm watching the Manly game from 2004. The only issue of concern I can see is that the volume of the callers seems to have been reduced relative to crowd noise, so sometimes you can't hear them over the crowd and ground announcements. With the game being called by Andy Raymond and Wayne Pearce, some may consider this to be a good thing.