What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recruitment and Retention

The Popper

Bench
Rothfield really publicises the inadequacies of our current situation very well in today's Tele. He lays the truth on the line - publicly. The fact that we have been releasing quality juniors whilst signing up has beens and 2nd. raters is a disgrace. Now, at least, a topic which has been discussed in depth on this forum is now public knowledge.....and so it should be.

Also, the bloke who destroyed us in the '73 GF backs Gal to become an immortal. I totally agree.

fizzgig

Juniors
On Grandstand yesterday they were talking about the percentage of local juniors playing in the first grade (or it might have been top 25) side. Sharks and Bulldogs were the lowest with something like 25%. The more successful teams were well above 50%.

Is it due to better juniors, players that have "grown up" playing together having good combinations in First Grade, having a smaller number of higher paid recruits while supporting them with loyal young guns or something else I'm probably missing?

Fizz

Luke Bowden

First Grade
You guys need a 5 year plan!! They work a treat!!!

Ive noticed that Slothfield has stopped giving the Mighty Gus Gould shit about it.

PHaTMaN

Juniors
I find it difficult to bag our recruitment over the last few seasons. Yes last year in isolation looks poor, but a few years back we didn't have Carney, Lewis, Fifita or Gordon. We were easy beats for many years, recently we have managed to re-sign Carney and Fifita where Prior and Holdsworth were only depth signings. I couldn't give a freak about loosing Chad, other than loosing Peachey who have we really lost? Maybe Bakuya? Who else is currently going well at another club?

Sure we need to sign at least one good outside back, but I am not sure it is recruitment that is the major problem when we have 11 regular first graders out injured.

Weaponhead

Coach
We have recruited some good players in the past few years. Mainly through a bit of luck and Gallen's influence. My issue with recruitment is there has been very little clear strategy. We seem to recruit players instead of building a team. Our approach to the game seems to to try to copy what the good teams did 5 years ago. It would be refreshing to have someone involved with the Sharks who had a bit of vision for where the game is going.

Without going into the Peachey debate again. It seems to me that our club did not know what to do with him because he not neatly fit into a predetermined position.

newman

First Grade
You guys need a 5 year plan!! They work a treat!!!

Ive noticed that Slothfield has stopped giving the Mighty Gus Gould shit about it.

You grubs shouldn't plan nothing. Whoever you guys sign ain't going to make a difference the sharks have been planning for over 40 years and achieved nothing.

How sad must your life be if you spend time trolling in opposition teams forums?. f**k OFF.

Feej

First Grade
You grubs shouldn't plan nothing. Whoever you guys sign ain't going to make a difference the sharks have been planning for over 40 years and achieved nothing.

So, I took the advice of the mods and decided to report a couple of your posts as piss poor, but annoying trolling that adds nothing to the conversation.

But of course you're still in her peddling shit.

Thanks mods.

glenmoresharkie

First Grade
On Grandstand yesterday they were talking about the percentage of local juniors playing in the first grade (or it might have been top 25) side. Sharks and Bulldogs were the lowest with something like 25%. The more successful teams were well above 50%.

Is it due to better juniors, players that have "grown up" playing together having good combinations in First Grade, having a smaller number of higher paid recruits while supporting them with loyal young guns or something else I'm probably missing?

Fizz

Really? Us and Bulldogs?

How about the Roosters? Off the top of my head I can only think of Minichiello being a local junior. But what defines a local junior for them? Bondi, Coogee, what else?

webShark

I couldn't give a freak about loosing Chad, other than loosing Peachey who have we really lost? Maybe Bakuya? .

Good point. Losing Chad was not the issue. It was replacing him with Holdsworth. Presumably because CT left for a better chance of first grade. How much did we truly save getting Holdsworth to replace him?

I think part of the problem is the way young players are handled. Not led to believe they are good enough and not made part of the plans. So they go elsewhere.

Ironically, Holdsworth probably played a lot more than he expected.

SadShark

Bench

I think I really like you. No, I mean really. Hey, me and some cool dude's are planning a "Stroking Kittens in Lingerie with our Penises" themed party and you would be perfect as the kitty holder whilst we do so.

Come join us - it's ever so fun.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Rooster above 50% doubt it
Storm over 50% doubt it
Rabbits over 50% doubt it
Dogs over 50% doubt it
Cwboys over 50% doubt it

Broncos , Penrith, Parra, Canberra all areas(cities) with massive juniior bases
Tigers Dargaons are a merged ranchise encompassing 2(each) gigantic football areas.

The problem is not what Cronulla does or says to its juniors. The problem is with the small selection of rubbish that is available to Cronulla
Titans in the same boat.

glenmoresharkie

First Grade
Storm over 50% doubt it
Dogs over 50% doubt it
Cwboys over 50% doubt it

Tigers Dargaons are a merged ranchise encompassing 2(each) gigantic football areas.

The problem is not what Cronulla does or says to its juniors. The problem is with the small selection of rubbish that is available to Cronulla
Titans in the same boat.

Warriors have a whole country, and the Cowboys have most of Queensland

Madsharkie

First Grade
Seems to me that a smart coach will get the best out of his squad (including local juniors) and recruit good players.

Quigs

Immortal
I remember reading somewhere many moons ago that the Donkeys had something like 20 plus junior halfbacks on their books throughout the state.

I don't know what it is like these days but they'd go all over the joint just signing younguns up on scholarships or whatever.

webShark

Storm over 50% doubt it
Dogs over 50% doubt it
Cwboys over 50% doubt it

Titans in the same boat.
Roosters 50% is total garbage. These figures are probably taken from the SG Ball age group. By that age , most teams have assimilated out of area kids.

Bit like with Fa'manu Brown.

Lichaa and Peachey proper juniors who played for years before Matthews Cup. No way the Roosters 50% by my definition.

Last edited:

newman

First Grade
The roosters have 4 small clubs in their junior catchment. Bondi united, paddo, clovelly and st Charles (who are only up to u13 anyway). Coogee are in the Souths catchment.

I'm pretty sure the only true rooster junior playing NRL is tom symonds.

Current sharks juniors in the NRL are:

Chad (Yarra tigers)
Mills (Yarra tigers)
Lichaa (black cats)
Peachey (black cats)
Paris (de la)
Galloway ( Yarra tigers)
James Hassan (de la)
Mitch brown (gymea)
Joel Reddy (Yarra tigers)
Bryson Goodwin (gymea)
Brad Takarangi

That's all I can think of, there might be one or two more. These boys were absolute stand outs in the local league. Dominant as dominant can be and at best they are fringe first graders or honest toilers in the top grade. That's the strength of our local league. The best players are nowhere near good enough relative to other comps. I will be astonished if another player with the ability of Healey or Dykes is ever unearthed, let alone another ET.

There isn't a club getting around with 50% local juniors in their NRL side. Nowhere near it.

Last edited:

Frailty

First Grade
I think the term Juniors isn't referencing where they played their U6s to U15s games, more so who came through their Junior Representative systems - SG Ball (and to a lesser extent, Harold Matthews).

You can't criticise the recruitment of game leaders like Carney and Lewis. Nor the recruitment of potential players, like Fifita was. It's the useless middle ground of solid/established players with no potential or developmental upside - Ayshford, Holdsworth, J. Wright.

newman

First Grade
I think the term Juniors isn't referencing where they played their U6s to U15s games, more so who came through their Junior Representative systems - SG Ball (and to a lesser extent, Harold Matthews).

You can't criticise the recruitment of game leaders like Carney and Lewis. Nor the recruitment of potential players, like Fifita was. It's the useless middle ground of solid/established players with no potential or developmental upside - Ayshford, Holdsworth, J. Wright.

Correct.

The cheque book the roosters have for their SG Ball is phenomenal and their results show that. They were untouched this year. But their development squads, kids picked from their actual junior comp are so pathetic they won't even play against Cronulla, let alone the strong sides like parra or penrith.

Latest posts