What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recruitment in a position of strength

ponies 4ever

Juniors
I'm just writing to see how other fans feel we'll be placed when Locky does pull the pin. Wayne Bennett was obviously a big draw card for the club in terms of recruitment when needed, with Locky our last real ace in the pack nearing the end of an illustrious career can we afford to fall away too much in the next two years and who exactly do we all have our hopes pinned on to be our "next go to man". There seems to be quite a bit of unrest at Red Hill and although we have some promising youngsters, so do most other NRL clubs. It's not like we have had a NYC dynasty although we have fared well.
If we let the lustre fade will it adversely affect the chances of recruiting the next "marquee" man 4 the Broncos. I honestly think management thought we were safe with K but now it seems we got caught with our pants down.
What are the honest thoughts of life post Locky guys ? (play 4 Thursto, home grown superstar will emerge... etctecetc):?

Big Pete

Referee
And honestly, I don't think they should recruit TOO many quality players.

The last thing I'd want to see the Broncos become is another Bulldogs/Roosters clone. Sure, sign Hannant (not for 450K, 300K or he's dreaming) and possibly Tolman but invest more time into the youth. The Broncos made a name for themselves by focussing on home-grown talent, why destroy that?

Smiley

Bench
Broncos are renown for there development of quality players and I'd like that to continue. In the past we only recruited when we had no adequate player in system eg. Wallace

I'd rather suffer short-term waiting for our own talent to develop then going out and buying a premiership.

Clubs should be given salary cap concession for home grown talent which would have helped retain Petro, Boyd, taylor and co.

screeder

Juniors
Yeah i agree with that, stick with developing the talent. We have a large enough pool to operate out of and if recruiting from other clubs lean towards the guys with ties to Brisbane. In the golden years the talent was developed locally but even if we could bring up that level of player in the same quantity it would be diluted by the salary cap so its a lot different from the 90's and we'd be kidding ourselves if we thought we'd go back to that. However, i can't see why we can't produce elite players in the future in sufficient numbers to give us a good team every year and even the odd premiership.

Dazzat

First Grade
I disagree that the Broncos are renown for our development of quality players. No, our success was built on quality recruitment through the efforts of one Cyril Connell (no longer with us).

Cyril did his best work before the Titans and the Cowboys.

Things have obviously changed, and now the Cowboys and the Titans are attracting the quality talent from Queensland.

I think we need to bring more developed talent into the squad now because the 'pipeline of talent' if you like, is now virtually non-existent ... we don't even have a dedicated feeder club.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Perhaps Daz is saying we do have alot of talent, but none of them are actually developed. They are all a toss of the coin as to whether they actually will make it. Gillett is clearly the most promising at this stage, followed by Norman. Glenn and McCullough are established without setting the world on fire and McGuire is sort of close but not quite there.

I do agree though I'd prefer not to recruit but try and build a solid nucleus of a team with what we have, perhaps with the odd purchase. Please QLDers only though! Salary cap is making it increasingly difficult to keep a team together though.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
We need to buy a quality prop though. We would have to wait far too long for one of the young guys to be good enough. Sorry but Kenny, Anderson and Sims just doesn't cut it for me.

With Bennet and other staff leaving/sacked and Lockyer retiring its getting less and less attractive to move to the Broncos :(

cornerposter

Juniors
It's a bit rich to suggest the Brisbane club suddenly becomes an undesirable place to play.

Despite the presence of the Titans and Cowboys, we're still a 'one town team'; we've got leading training & playing facilities; consistently play in front of the biggest crowds; were recently declared the number 1 supported team in the country. Sounds attractive so far, but if I'm thinking of joining the club I don't want to be lapped each week - who will I be playing with? Well without Lockyer there's a few other nevilles to help keep the scoreline respectable, Folau, Wallace, Hodges, Thaiday. McCullough's got a big future, Yow Yeh's going to set the league on fire when he settles in, Gillette could be anything.
Sure we're probably going through the roughest patch in our history, but if you ask me the future's as bright as ever. The Broncs need to stick to the formula that's worked in the past. Develop from within and recruit for the gaps.
Reminds me a little of the early nineties. We recruited Lazo and the rest is history...

Big Pete

Referee
I can see his point.

Cyril is a huge loss, had a great eye for talent and could see things in players that nobody else could see, not even Bennett.

cornerposter

Juniors
I can see his point.

Cyril is a huge loss, had a great eye for talent and could see things in players that nobody else could see, not even Bennett.
No doubt about Cyril's talent but he didn't recruit players as Dazz suggests. Cyril recognised raw talent, the club system developed it.

Dazzat

First Grade
No doubt about Cyril's talent but he didn't recruit players as Dazz suggests. Cyril recognised raw talent, the club system developed it.

Recruitment and recognition ... the same thing really. Development comes through the 'pipeline'.

Yes, we have been successful in the last two years of the under 20's, but where has that transitioned into success in first grade?

Ben Hunt was Under 20s player of the year two years ago and is yet to even be a blimp on the radar. And traditionally props take longer to mature so we could be talking another four-five years before the likes of Hala, Lui and even Maguire make a mark.

Personally, I would like to hone down to one or two 'feeder' clubs, instead of the scatter gun approach at the moment. Because let's face it ... at the moment its Under 20s ... then any number of five clubs ... the first grade .... hardly a development pipeline.

Dazzat

First Grade
On a side note ... I don't think Gillett even came through the Broncos Under 20s team ... but I'll stand to be corrected.

screeder

Juniors
I disagree that the Broncos are renown for our development of quality players. No, our success was built on quality recruitment through the efforts of one Cyril Connell (no longer with us).

Things have obviously changed, and now the Cowboys and the Titans are attracting the quality talent from Queensland.

I think we need to bring more developed talent into the squad now because the 'pipeline of talent' if you like, is now virtually non-existent ... we don't even have a dedicated feeder club.

I think we're all talking about the same thing here. Cyril recruited the talent in its raw form from the main breeding ground that is Qld and the club developed those players. He was possibly the clubs biggest asset that can never be replaced.

Big Pete

Referee

Yes in the juniors.

He was great at it and I doubt there will be another Cyril BUT the Nolan isn't shabby at recruiting juniors either.

I'd argue the Storm are doing a better job of it than anyone else...but yes the Titans and Cowboys are diluting the Broncos junior ranks...as they should be.

I agree.

Mind you, the Broncos should never of sent some of those players packing to begin with. They spent too much money on recruiting established representative stars from else where when the money should've been kept for loyal club men who loved our club.

No use for crying over spilt milk, I say the Broncos should sign Petero back for 2 years (on a slightly reduced contract), brought back Hannant (300K Max., beggers can't be choosers Benny) heck I wouldn't even mind Tate back as long as he was sensible about his deal (anything above 250K is crazy).

Get rid of the dead-weight, sign up all the juniors and bring back a bit of sensibility and pride to the place.

whykickamoocow

Juniors
I think we all agree here we need a good prop or two. I'd love to see Petro and Hannant back but not for the 450K that Hannant is asking for. If not him Blair, Snowden, Douglas would be great. I think we need to look at recruiting for post Locky 2 though because I havn't seen enough from Wallace to suggest that he is good enough to be the main go to man at the Broncos. Never should of let T.Smith go. I say throw everthing, even the kitchen sink at Thurston. Would love to see him playing with Hodges, Folou and co every week.

Smiley

Bench
Broncos hope darkest hour heralds new dawn

DESPITE having coached just six of the Brisbane players who will line-up against his Dragons outfit at WIN Stadium tonight, the influence of Wayne Bennett still hangs over the latest generation of Baby Broncos.

And while many have written off what is one of the most inexperienced teams in NRL history, Broncos insiders believe the club is set to reap the benefits for years to come of the development program Bennett instigated before his departure at the end of the 2008 season.

Of the 17 players who travelled to Wollongong yesterday, 11 of them are products of the Elite Player Development program introduced by Bennett in 2006 and came through Brisbane's National Youth Competition ranks - the biggest influx from the under-20s competition of any NRL club.

It may not have been Ivan Henjak's plan to blood so many of them in first grade just yet - but he envisaged that they would eventually form the nucleus of his team in the post-Bennett era.

''They've been a part of our plans for a while,'' said Henjak, who was recruitment manager for two years before being appointed as assistant to Bennett in 2006 and eventually succeeding him last season to become only the second head coach in Brisbane's history. ''It probably isn't ideal to be playing all of them at the one time but it will be a good experience for them.''

Take Australian captain Darren Lockyer out of the side and the rest of the Broncos have played fewer than 500 NRL matches between them.
Yet there is no doubting their talent, with Josh Hoffman, Mitch Rivett, Ben Hunt, Josh McGuire, Andrew McCullough, Mitchell Dodds, Alex Glenn and Dunamis Lui all being members of the team beaten 28-24 by Canberra in the 2008 Toyota Cup grand final.

Injuries to seven top liners, including Justin Hodges, Israel Folau and Corey Parker, and internal disciplinary action against Ben Te'o and Antonio Winterstein for being late to training this week mean most of them have been thrust into first grade ahead of time, along with Matt Gillett, Corey Norman and Gerard Beale.

''Some of them are probably playing first grade before we thought they would and we would love to have the guys who are injured at the moment in the team but it's a good thing that they are starting to get plenty of NRL game time,'' said assistant coach Anthony Griffin, who was in charge of the Broncos NYC team until this season.

''Obviously in two or three years time they are going to be the nucleus of our side and the quicker we get 40 or 50 games under their belt the better the future is going to be. But it is what it is at the moment and we've got a lot of experienced guys out so they are getting a go now.

''We were always going to be relying this year on some of them pushing through and we've spent a lot of time, resources and money over the past few years of our program and these are the type of kids we were after. It is now about making the transfer from 18 or 19-year-olds into NRL players.

''At the moment we've just got to be patient, obviously everyone is chasing results but they are not the most important thing for us at the moment with the situation we are in, having to play so many of them at once.''

The first group of players to come through the Elite Development Program included McCullough, McGuire, Hunt, Beale and Copley, while Norman, Gillett and Dodds were among the second wave.

Some were as young as 13 when they were first scouted and spent time in the Broncos academies before graduating into the club's under-20s and affiliate club programs.

''You always know kids are going to come through at the Broncos and they usually stand up, but this is a lot of kids at the one time,'' former Broncos and Dragons international Wendell Sailor said. ''Obviously with Karmichael Hunt going and Dave Taylor going it has left a bit of a hole in the team and I think people forget too about Michael Ennis, Ben Hannant and Greg Eastwood leaving the year before. … they've got a lot of kids with a lot of talent and this is a chance for them.''

Before Hodges' off-season injury it was intended that he would take over the fullback role from Hunt, while the club signed Storm grand final prop Scott Anderson to replace Taylor but have otherwise done little recruiting in recent seasons aside from luring Folau from Melbourne last year.

''If you took six of the top players out of any team like has happened to us at the moment they'd struggle too,'' Brisbane CEO Bruno Cullen said. ''But it's got nothing to do with playing ability or coaching ability and we're very happy with how things are going. Ivan is doing a great job as coach.''

Link
Thought this tied in with the thread.

Broncos fan!

Juniors
I think we all agree here we need a good prop or two. I'd love to see Petro and Hannant back but not for the 450K that Hannant is asking for. If not him Blair, Snowden, Douglas would be great. I think we need to look at recruiting for post Locky 2 though because I havn't seen enough from Wallace to suggest that he is good enough to be the main go to man at the Broncos. Never should of let T.Smith go. I say throw everthing, even the kitchen sink at Thurston. Would love to see him playing with Hodges, Folou and co every week.

We didn't let Smith go!:crazy: How many times does it need to be said?

I think we are going to lose too many players if we chase JT. I really don't know...