What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Red Alert! Coaches Magic Chairs

mickeylane

Bench
Massive rumor doing the rounds across all circles this morning!
Cleary to Bulldogs
Hasler to Tigers
effective immediately!!
All points to Mcgregor staying

lets see what happens today!

The Doc

Juniors
Im hearing toovey has had talks with the tigers.
So has cleary.
A mate of mine associated with the dogs has said Dean Pay / Jim Dymock have been discussed to take over from Hasler.
All hear say atm but theres quiet a few possibilities being tossed up for all them clubs.

possm

Coach
Cleary is the coach the Bulldogs prefer. Hasler has not been extended yet because he does not have the confidence of the majority of the Bulldogs Board Members. Saying this, I just can't see him coaching at the Tigers.

So with Barrett finnally geting the Sea Eagles firing and performing well, it would be unlikely that the Penn owned Board would return to the coach that deserted tham immediately after their GF win.

So in my opinion a Cleary to coach the Bulldogs outcome would sit well for a Hasler to coach the Dragons outcome. Doust and the Board remember well what result can be achieved if you combine a top line coach with a good playing squad - Bennett's three years at the Dragons.

We need a new coach announcement early so that he may have some input into our 2018 NRL squad make-up. Maybe Mary to the Tigers would be a good fit.

mickeylane

Bench
Im hearing toovey has had talks with the tigers.
So has cleary.
A mate of mine associated with the dogs has said Dean Pay / Jim Dymock have been discussed to take over from Hasler.
All hear say atm but theres quiet a few possibilities being tossed up for all them clubs.
Joel Cain just announced that Cleary not going to Tigers and announcing today his new club!

The Doc

Juniors
Joel Cain just announced that Cleary not going to Tigers and announcing today his new club!
I dont disagree. Iv heard cleary has his sights set on a return to the warriors. Thats his preference apparently.
The dogs it seems want a coach with association to the club. Even if that means a rookie.
I cant see us sacking Mary if the team continues winning.
Lets just see how it all pans out.

BennyV

Referee
Dogs Facebook page just announced Hasler to be sacked in the next 48 hours and Cleary to take over after rejecting offers from us and Tigpies.

possm

Coach
I dont disagree. Iv heard cleary has his sights set on a return to the warriors. Thats his preference apparently.
The dogs it seems want a coach with association to the club. Even if that means a rookie.
I cant see us sacking Mary if the team continues winning.
Lets just see how it all pans out.
The Board has had experience dealing with circumstances such as this.

The Board sacked Brown to hire Bennett even though we had a good squad and were winning games.

The Board extended Mary's contract after our great streak of wins in 2015 only to see the team deliver a sting of losses due to players being busted or burnt out.

The Board should be looking at the long term and if they are, history will show that we need to hire a top line coach to take our Club to a GF once again.

SEAT 1A

Bench
Not a peep about the Dragons which is refreshing for once. Des looking like a dead man walking.

FlameThrower

Bench
My thoughts are that Cleary is better suited to young squad with flair and attack - the Tigers would be his best fit. The Dogs would prefer an inhouse option, bottom line no matter what happens it will affect the Dragons as both Hasler and Cleary have been linked to us.
Mary so far is going Ok,but we did this in 2015 with a great start then faded badly ... I'm not yet convinced he is the long term option here.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
When thinking about who would our new coach, ask yourself the question; who would have the ability to take our Club to a GF in the next 3 years.

I'd say:
Hasler could do this
Cleary could do this
Mary could not do this
Taylor could not do this
Mage could do this

St Georgio

Juniors
My thoughts are that Cleary is better suited to young squad with flair and attack - the Tigers would his fit. The Dogs would prefer an inhouse option, bottom line no matter what happens it will affect the Dragons as both Hasler and Cleary have been linked to us.
Mary so far is going Ok,but we did this in 2015 with a great start then faded badly ... I'm not yet convinced he is the long term option here.
This is why a decision should not be made until the end of the year, unless Saints are flying high and leading the comp by round 22.

If Mary fails at the end of the year, Tony Smith and Kevin Walters are good options, if we miss out on Hasler

The board won't wait till end of year to decide Mary's future. If Mary jags a few more wins, he'll get an extension. By end of year though, the board will end up with egg on its face. Again.

Straight Shooter

since77

Juniors
I'm enjoying winning games but the long term ramifications of these wins will come back to bite us. We should be out there NOW looking for a coach for 2018, whereas our board may in fact be idiotic enough to re-sign Mc Gregor based on 1 decent win against the Sharks and 2 wins against teams that were way below their best.

Last edited:

FlameThrower

Bench
When thinking about who would our new coach, ask yourself the question; who would have the ability to take our Club to a GF in the next 3 years.

I'd say:
Hasler could do this
Cleary could do this
Mary could not do this
Taylor could not do this
Mage could do this