What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Red Alert! Coaches Magic Chairs

Crush

Coach
You'd think so. But there are real live humans out there who not only believe Laurie Daley is superior to Hasler and Maguire, but they are willing to express that opinion publicly.
Another negative prick that thinks that their opinion is superior to all those who disagree with theirs.
Grouch.......muppet.

Crush

Coach
Almost choked on my coffee, truly one of your best Grouch, unfortunately it will be lost and waisted on far too many.
What exactly do you mean here OT? That you understand the humour here but many others will miss it because they are less smart than yourself? Or have a different opinion than you do?Why exactly will it be lost and waisted on far too many?

thebigredv

First Grade
What exactly do you mean here OT? That you understand the humour here but many others will miss it because they are less smart than yourself? Or have a different opinion than you do?Why exactly will it be lost and waisted on far too many?

Almost choked on my coffee, truly one of your best Grouch, unfortunately it will be lost and waisted on far too many.

wasted*

Old Timer

Coach
Crush
Very simply put, your post epitomises the very reason why I posted mine.
Can't be bothered explaining anything else try and work it out for yourself.
Just a tip maybe stop playing the man and play the ball occasionally.
By the way IMO Daley is a gronk of the first order.

getsmarty

Immortal
Paul McGregor wants to stay at St George Illawarra Dragons in 2018 and beyond
Andrew Parkinson
30 Mar 2017, 7 a.m.
r0_346_3898_2546_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Staying on?: Dragons coach Paul McGregor has St George Illawarra playing exciting, winning football to start the season. Picture: John Veage

Paul McGregor said he wants to continue to coach St George Illawarra next season and beyond but denied he was actively looking for a contract, preferring to concentrate solely on the Dragons’ 2017 campaign.

The Dragons have surprised many with their hot start to the season, winning three of their opening four matches to sit third on the table ahead of their clash with the struggling Wests Tigers on Sunday.

Speculation was rife over the summer that the Dragons would look to bring in a new coach for the 2018 season, with Ivan Cleary and Des Hasler among the names mooted.

But if McGregor continues to produce the sort of performances from his side so far, the 158-game veteran as a player would be open to remaining at the club.

“I’m only short term. I’m only coaching in 2017 at the minute. That’s all I’m worried about, what happens next week,” he said.

r0_386_4134_2710_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Dragons coach Paul McGregor. Picture: John Veage

“That’s the most important thing to me and this playing group. I’m coaching, I’m enjoying what I’m doing [and] what the players are bringing. I’ll worry about all that other stuff at a later date.

“Of course [I would like to stay]. I enjoy coaching and I love this club. But I’m not looking for a contract right now. I’m just looking to get to work tomorrow and work hard through the week and get the boys to perform on the weekend. That’s all I’m after.”

Speaking after the impressive win over the Warriors at Kogarah on Sunday, McGregor said he was pleased with his side’s start to the season but predicted there was still more to come.

“Our [defence] is certainly improving and we’ve got a lot of belief out there,” he said.

“The nine is only new. The halfback is different to last year. So those combinations are still building. It’s only early days. We’re liking the rotation through our middle. That’s really important. Our execution at times is a little bit down but we’re still scoring a lot of points which is nice.”

http://www.theleader.com.au/story/4...o-stay-at-dragons-in-2018-and-beyond/?cs=3833

getsmarty

Immortal
Narrow focus paying off for McGregor

Mitch Jennings@@Mitch_Jenno

30 Mar 2017, 3:25 p.m.
r0_31_4687_3124_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

SHORT GAME: Dragons coach Paul McGregor has benefitted from a short-term mindset in 2017. Picture: Getty Images

ST GEORGE Illawarra coach Paul McGregor knows better than most how it feels to be in interim Wests Tigers coach Andrew Webster’s shoes.

McGregor was thrust into the same role at the Dragons following the sacking of Steve Price in round 12, 2014. Like Webster, he lost his first game in charge but went on to win seven of 13 games to earn the full-time gig at the club for three seasons.

With Ivan Cleary waiting in the wings, it’s unlikely Webster will have that long in the job, but McGregor can still empathise with his counterpart in Sunday’s round five clash at ANZ Stadium.

“It’s difficult. In a short time you’ve just got to to the best you can and I’m sure that’s what [Webster’s] working towards,” McGregor said.

“How much change you can make in a short period is minimal. You’ve just got to make sure that you do your best and I’m sure he’s done that and it certainly showed last week in the first 40 minutes they played against Melbourne. [Our] boys have had a couple of tough weeks and are coming up against a side that will be desperate and looking to really build on their first half last week.”

Jason Taylor’s sacking came as the Tigers’ so-called ‘big four’ of Aaron Woods, James Tedesco, Mitch Moses and Luke Brooks continue prolonged contract negotiations with the club, something many point to as a destabilising influence.

It’s something McGregor dealt with in a tough second year at the helm of the Dragons, admitting ongoing contract speculation surrounding the likes of Benji Marshall and Mitch Rein, who subsequently moved on, hampered the club’s 2016 campaign.

With stars like Gareth Widdop and Josh Dugan off-contract this year, McGregor – who is also without a deal for 2018 – said it was important he take a step back from recruitment this season and focus purely on coaching. It’s proven a fruitful approach with the club sitting in third spot after four rounds, a start McGregor attributes to his short-term focus.

“We had a really good look at our systems at the back end of last year with [2017] being my last year under contract at the club, and it was important that the focus for me was solely on footy and the players I have on my roster,” McGregor said.

“I have empathy around anyone off-contract, it’s a pretty important part of their lives, but the best thing the players can do is go out there and play well for each other and for themselves. They’re doing a very good job at the minute, all those guys who are off-contract, and from the club’s perspective we’ve got Ian Millward looking after that side of it.

“For me it’s just about preparing the boys to play well through the week to give them the best opportunity to go out there and put themselves on the best show on the weekend.

Under pressure at the start of the season, McGregor has done his chances of earning a new deal no harm with the performances he’s extracted from his side over the opening four rounds but he remains unburdened by speculation about his future.

“It’s great when you enjoy what you’re doing and I’ve always done that,” he said.

“It’s certainly challenging at times but pressure’s a privilege in rugby league and in any sport when you’re at the top level. Any pressure that you have is a pressure that you’ve got to enjoy because if it’s taken away from you it means you’re not at the top anymore.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4566422/narrow-focus-paying-off-for-mcgregor/?cs=3713

Ha ha ha. This is incredibly dumb. Hasler is now a recognised failure. Madge has won less than 43% in past TWO YEARS. Fail!! Cleary is OK. Your man love for failed coaches must have ulterior motives. Plain dumb.

So your happy with mcgregors picks and use of them bunch ? Hahahaha and your a funny guy

Crush

Coach
Crush
Very simply put, your post epitomises the very reason why I posted mine.
Can't be bothered explaining anything else try and work it out for yourself.
Just a tip maybe stop playing the man and play the ball occasionally.
By the way IMO Daley is a gronk of the first order.
Funny thing is, I made the Daley post as a joke aimed at BennyV(I know Benny hates Daley!) It was a bit of sarcasm that you must have missed. I think BennyV got it though, thats the main thing.

getsmarty

Immortal
9 News reporting Hasler 2 year upgrade at dogs about to be ratified. Looks like Mary is the last man standing.

possm

Coach
9 News reporting Hasler 2 year upgrade at dogs about to be ratified. Looks like Mary is the last man standing.
If true and I doubt it is, there are plenty of options which are superior to extending Mary. Last night on Fox it was reported that Hasler has until round 10 to get the team on track.

possm

Coach
There has to be a reason for the appointment of Johnstone as chairman of the board. I feel confident that we will get a new coach and that with Mary gone, Millward will be put in his box and have to report to the new coach.

Time tables for bringing on juniors should be decided on performance.

mickeylane

Bench
The only option for McGregor out is Daley or Walters.....Mcgregor will stay because of 5 reasons
1. Marked improvement in form and will keep out form for sure
2. Team morale at all time high
3. Players including Hunt like McGregor as a coach and agree w the tactics
4. The Forwards are too good to fall over from here
5. Our backs are still a work in progress yet still winning games comfortably against quality opposition.

Gareth67

First Grade
Brace for impact......we will be stuck with Mary McHalfbench. The spin machine is kicking into gear and the options are slowly dwindling.

So right Coffs , it really is beginning to look that way . It is a very similar feeling one has , when the Council elections for Sydney are held .

Everyone is hoping that Clover Moore will not win , but there she is , as pretty as a picture , on the front page of the newspapers the next day , with that charming smile on her face .

A bit like our own , ever so loveable Mary . . . the nightmare continues !

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
The only option for McGregor out is Daley or Walters.....Mcgregor will stay because of 5 reasons
5. Our backs are still a work in progress yet still winning games comfortably against quality opposition.
Winning games comfortably is a bit of a stretch.
We limped in against Cronulla after a great start and did exactly the same against the Warriors.
In both those games we were playing out of our skins with no real upside left and if the opposition had been more disciplined in their approach they could have very well won those games and we could be 1 - 3.
If one is truly pragmatic about it we had little improvement in our game as we don't use our backs as the source of attack but the opposition in both games were like badly tuned motor cars that can be tuned so that they pur and if that had been the case we would struggle.

possm

Coach
1. Mary is not in form. His selection choices and bench management very poor.
2. Team moral is high because the team is winning.
3. How would anyone know what Hunt thinks about Mary's tactics. If the forwards become busted and burnt out, these tactics will be seen for what they are; a short term solution employed at the expense of the our forwards.
4. Cast your mind back to 2015. We still have a few straight wins to match that wining run before falling over.
5. Mary being a former international centre, would be well aware of what has to be done with out backline. The problem is, he really isn't a good coach/teacher. A remedy for our problematic right side defence and generally our outside back defensive skills should have been achieved years ago.

Latest posts