What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Red Alert! Coaches Magic Chairs

Slackboy72

Coach
Musical chairs?
dae81381765fb0a9132aa9b228e69dc3.gif

dragon thomo

Juniors
How quickly we forget how bad it was last year. Yes we have started reasonably well although i am not so convinced with the wins over the sharks and warriors.l am not sure about Hasler and do not want Daley, so either Cleary Walters or even possibly Toovey could do the job.

GC Dragon

Juniors
Because if we don't move to sign a new coach, they will be signed by another Club. Most coaches would want to spend the rest of the year looking at their roster and making decisions on who they want to keep and who to let go. Also who to buy.

A new coach now would give Mary payment for the balance of his contract And it would give the new coach time to prepare for 2018.
The thing is the club isn't looking for a new coach . And if we keep going well then by round 10 to 12 I expect Mary to get a 2 year extension .

beecww

Juniors
I dont disagree. Iv heard cleary has his sights set on a return to the warriors. Thats his preference apparently.
The dogs it seems want a coach with association to the club. Even if that means a rookie.
I cant see us sacking Mary if the team continues winning.
Lets just see how it all pans out.
Things are really difficult to follow at this time of year. Parra smash us... We smash Sharks...Sharks smash Parra.
What worries me is that, lets face it the Warriors are really terrible, yet we could only score 1 try in the second half.
I must admit I am very biased against Mc Gregor, and Doust and I am having trouble understanding some improvements that have happened over the past month.
Is it influence of Mark Coyne and co? If not why has it taken 5 years to eventuate.

possm

Coach
Guys, I just made up a rumour that Wayne Bennett is returning to the Dragons, with Boyd in tow. Im getting the hang of this.
It is not such a far fetched idea, except I don't think Boyd needs Bennett's apron strings anymore.

My thoughts are that Bennett is uncomfortable at the Broncos now and would like to either retire or move away from those at the Broncos who disapprove of his decision to separate from his wife and take on a new girlfriend.

The person he did not get on with at the Dragons - Doust - is about to be replaced by Coyne and new chairman of the Board Johnston will take the Club forward in a business like way. For example, why when it came to hiring a new coach, did Doust and the Board pick Price and Mary? I believe it all had to do with dollars; the best coaches are well paid these days - around 1m p/a.

Johnston won't be afraid to go for sponsorship of our coach in order to give the Dragons the best opportunity to hire the right coach and at the same time not be a big impost on our Club's finances.

thestevo888

Juniors
Guys, tantalising as this is, it's hard to see Mary moved on after wins over the reigning premiers, the Warriors and one of this year's premiership favourites in the Panthers.

It seems like Mary has learnt somewhat from the mistakes of last year. I don't think this makes him a supercoach, his structures are still pretty unimpressive and there's a distinct lack of imagination at work there.

HOWEVER it's not impossible to imagine that he will coach the team into the top eight this year. It stands to reason that the only worthwhile replacement is someone who will do better than this.

Has Hasler lost the plot or does he just need a fresh start?

Would Madge be a saviour or a disaster (assuming the bunnies were to let him go)?

Would Cleary be a good fit for us?

The answer to these questions, I think, is probably a simple one: we don't know. And, judging from past performance, taking risks is not in the DNA of our board.

Really, as possm alluded to, the change that we need really must begin at a higher level than the coach's chair. If/when we get a more forward looking board and CEO - and a new chairman is certainly a step in the right direction - then we will be in a position to make the smart decision rather than the safe one regarding the coach.

In the meantime, I'm going to sit back, enjoy the wins as they come, and maintain half a smile in the knowledge that rock bottom was last year - we seem, on a lot of levels, to be on the way back up.

BennyV

Referee
The person he did not get on with at the Dragons - Doust - is about to be replaced by Coyne and new chairman of the Board Johnston will take the Club forward in a business like way. For example, why when it came to hiring a new coach, did Doust and the Board pick Price and Mary? I believe it all had to do with dollars; the best coaches are well paid these days - around 1m p/a.

Johnston won't be afraid to go for sponsorship of our coach in order to give the Dragons the best opportunity to hire the right coach and at the same time not be a big impost on our Club's finances.
Possm, where do you pull this from?!?! I'd actually love to have your imagination sometimes.

- Bennett and Doust got along very well, to the extent that Bennett was a bees dick away from rejoining is before Broncos pulled out the big chequebook in 2014.
- there hasn't been a single inkling that Doust is being replaced or that Coyne would take over (or that he is interested, or that he is the best person).
- Johnston has been on the board of directors for years, what makes you think him moving to chairman will change anything? He doesn't suddenly become omnipotent, there is still a boardroom vote to make every decision.
- it's been well documented that Mary and Prices appointment was a majority decision made by the board.
- What knowledge do you have of Johnstons intentions regarding sponsorship and/or coaching?!

MilanDragon

Juniors
Possm, where do you pull this from?!?! I'd actually love to have your imagination sometimes.

- Bennett and Doust got along very well, to the extent that Bennett was a bees dick away from rejoining is before Broncos pulled out the big chequebook in 2014.
- there hasn't been a single inkling that Doust is being replaced or that Coyne would take over (or that he is interested, or that he is the best person).
- Johnston has been on the board of directors for years, what makes you think him moving to chairman will change anything? He doesn't suddenly become omnipotent, there is still a boardroom vote to make every decision.
- it's been well documented that Mary and Prices appointment was a majority decision made by the board.
- What knowledge do you have of Johnstons intentions regarding sponsorship and/or coaching?!

Come on Benny why are you asking for facts?! You should know better..

Good post

Vinnie

Juniors
Coyne in, Johnston new chairman, team winning, good recruitment (Vaughan, McInness) Gun young players emerging, Players back in form and playing with confidence ie Dugan, Widdopp, DeBelin, etc hey guys looking good and positive lets start praising !!!
Yes the team can be improved and i for one am a massive advocator of that would like Mann starting and Field given more experience and of course McCrone out. But we are still winning. Maybe the balance is right and maybe he is using his experience to inspire and drive the team i don't know.
At this stage our future looks good and the major improvement needed is DOUST to go to keep the momentum going !!!!
Coaching wise i think McGregor has improved and the team is improving and that may have to do with the releasing of a lot of roles hence allowing him to concentrate on coaching only and maybe he is using the spare time to draw knowledge from others who know ?? whatever it is it's working. Let him see out the season and if he's worthy then he deserves another go ... No one can ever question his loyalty and that to me is paramount. talking to other coaches now when the teams confidence is sky high is stupid and is only going to work against us. The players are obviously happy with the balance and are playing for the coach and the results show that, if they weren't we would have a West Tigers situation where its obvious JT didn't have the support or respect of his players. And that shows by their results from FG to under 20's.

Coyne in, Johnston new chairman, team winning, good recruitment (Vaughan, McInness) Gun young players emerging, Players back in form and playing with confidence ie Dugan, Widdopp, DeBelin, etc hey guys looking good and positive lets start praising !!!
Yes the team can be improved and i for one am a massive advocator of that would like Mann starting and Field given more experience and of course McCrone out. But we are still winning. Maybe the balance is right and maybe he is using his experience to inspire and drive the team i don't know.
At this stage our future looks good and the major improvement needed is DOUST to go to keep the momentum going !!!!
Coaching wise i think McGregor has improved and the team is improving and that may have to do with the releasing of a lot of roles hence allowing him to concentrate on coaching only and maybe he is using the spare time to draw knowledge from others who know ?? whatever it is it's working. Let him see out the season and if he's worthy then he deserves another go ... No one can ever question his loyalty and that to me is paramount. talking to other coaches now when the teams confidence is sky high is stupid and is only going to work against us. The players are obviously happy with the balance and are playing for the coach and the results show that, if they weren't we would have a West Tigers situation where its obvious JT didn't have the support or respect of his players. And that shows by their results from FG to under 20's.

"Coaching wise i think McGregor has improved"

No he hasn't improved at all. The squad has been improved by the injection of Vaughan/McDonald/McInnes.

His selections, use of bench and general tactics are no better than last season. Hell our leading try scorer from last year is yet to play a total of 20 minutes over the past 4 games

The results are better because the draw is more favourable (played Warriors early) and 2 very good teams greatly underestimated our forward pack.

_Johnsy

Referee

No he hasn't improved at all. The squad has been improved by the injection of Vaughan/McDonald/McInnes.

His selections, use of bench and general tactics are no better than last season. Hell our leading try scorer from last year is yet to play a total of 20 minutes over the past 4 games

The results are better because the draw is more favourable (played Warriors early) and 2 very good teams greatly underestimated our forward pack.
I agree he hasn't improved. Our halves lack any creativity whatsoever.

MilanDragon

Juniors

I don't think the draw was that favourable to us at all. We had the comp favourites, the premiers and the Eels who before their issues last year were flying. Warriors are hot/cold any time of the year but always harder to play in the middle-end of a season so I'll give you that.

Yea the squad had been improved but they still have to be coached by someone to get a result which we are getting.

I don't necessarily agree with Mann not being selected but the team is scoring more points without our leading try scorer from last year (not saying we would score less with him).

As for tactics, McGregor actually came out and said we are getting rid of the attacking structures and going to play what's in front of us with simple structures - that in itself is a tactic. And so far it's working as we are scoring more points than we were last season.

Lastly I think it's Gus Gould who always says you can't coach speed or creativity.

Maxwell

Juniors
Maybe with our new President Brian Johnston we might move in a new direction , get a new CEO and a new coach , then again maybe , just maybe Mark Coyne is changing things up with Mary's coaching. will wait and see.

I don't think the draw was that favourable to us at all. We had the comp favourites, the premiers and the Eels who before their issues last year were flying. Warriors are hot/cold any time of the year but always harder to play in the middle-end of a season so I'll give you that.

Yea the squad had been improved but they still have to be coached by someone to get a result which we are getting.

I don't necessarily agree with Mann not being selected but the team is scoring more points without our leading try scorer from last year (not saying we would score less with him).

As for tactics, McGregor actually came out and said we are getting rid of the attacking structures and going to play what's in front of us with simple structures - that in itself is a tactic. And so far it's working as we are scoring more points than we were last season.

Lastly I think it's Gus Gould who always says you can't coach speed or creativity.

As for tactics, McGregor actually came out and said we are getting rid of the attacking structures and going to play what's in front of us with simple structures - that in itself is a tactic.

A game plan that fits on the back of a postage stamp, that's our Mary !

MilanDragon

Juniors
As for tactics, McGregor actually came out and said we are getting rid of the attacking structures and going to play what's in front of us with simple structures - that in itself is a tactic.

A game plan that fits on the back of a postage stamp, that's our Mary !

Lol, that made me laugh.
But hey I don't care as long as we are winning. Different story if we drop some games

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
5 certainties.......

1.Dogs will beat The Donkeys this weekend
2. Hasler will remain at Dogs
3. Cleary will sign with Tigers
4 Unfortunately Mary will remain with Dragons
5 India wins the Test series

Latest posts