What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redcliffe Dolphins Bid

applesauce

Bench
Petrie MP Luke Howarth campaigns for Redcliffe stadium funding

Cameron Atfield
June 4, 2015

1433417547259.jpg

A first-term Liberal National Party MP, "annoyed" a proposed 10,000-capacity stadium in Redcliffe received no federal funding in the 2015-16 budget, hopes his government colleagues will bow to public pressure and release the funds.

The Redcliffe Dolphins rugby league club planned to build Dolphin Stadium, which would have seating for 9000 and standing room for about 1000 more, adjacent to its leagues club and shopping centre at Kippa-Ring.

Petrie MP Luke Howarth has been collecting signatures to petition Prime Minister Tony Abbott for $7million to help fund the stadium, which would be built on the site of the current Dolphin Oval.

Mr Howarth said he was disappointed an application for a grant through the National Stronger Regions Fund was knocked back in last month's federal budget, despite his lobbying of Mr Abbott.

"That annoyed me a bit," he said.

Mr Howarth said the Redcliffe peninsula had lagged behind surrounding areas in recent years, so the capital investment and the increased visitation associated with the stadium would be vital.

"If you look at what's happening in North Lakes, where things are getting upgraded and they've got the rail line which, sure, runs to Kippa-Ring but there's a lot happening in North Lakes," he said.

"In Redcliffe, none of that's happening. If you look at all the shopping centres there, they're quite old and run down.

"The stadium needs to be built."

Moreton Bay Regional Council has committed $3 million towards the $12 million stadium.

"We thought if we put 25 per cent of the money on the table, it'd be a great catalyst to get other people motivated and get other tiers of government involved," mayor Allan Sutherland said.

"I think it'd be a fantastic attribute to the area, particularly in light of the fact that the Dolphins intend to make it available to other codes."

Cr Sutherland said the stadium, which would be within 20 minutes' walking distance of the new Kippa-Ring railway station, would benefit the wider south-east Queensland region.

"There is a huge void from that paddock-type area to a stadium in the region," he said.

"There is no boutique stadium that can take just eight- to 10-thousand."

The stadium would also help the Dolphins' NRL bid, although club chairman Bob Jones said it would not be the home ground for regular season matches should they be admitted to the national competition.

"The TV people are saying they want a game at Lang Park every week, so they would want the Broncos one week and the Dolphins the next week," he said.

Mr Jones said he expected work to begin on the stadium later this year, with work to be completed within 12 months.

"If we got $7 million from (the federal government), we think we could do the whole stadium all at once," he said.

"If there's a shortfall in funding, we did the design in a way that it could be staged."

Mr Jones said the first stage of the three-sided stadium would be the western stand, with the eastern and northern stands to follow.

The Redcliffe Leagues Club would continue to occupy the southern end of the ground.

Mr Jones said the stadium would cater for more than just rugby league.

"There's also big carnivals, sevens tournaments, and we haven't touched on the other codes that can fit in a rectangular stadium, like rugby union, like soccer," he said.

"We were asked a couple of years ago to host an under-20s State of Origin but we just didn't have good enough lux – the light power – for the TV, so we'd get things like that, or even concerts.

"The possibilities are endless."

Mr Howarth said he understood his Coalition government was adverse to "spending more than we earn".

"But I've still got to advocate for my area and, as the federal member for Petrie, I want to see Redcliffe improve.

"…I'm confident, I think it's needed, I think it would be good for the area and I'll do my best to get the money."

Has not been announced anywhere else I have seen and the Dolphins may be the "additional Brisbane based team" that has been announced anonymously in other articles.

steeden.

Juniors
redcliffe have been tossing themselves up for years as an expansion side but never seriously but it would be interesting if they ever did get in. It'd almost be like a port adelaide situation

Joker's Wild

Coach
interesting but Redcliffe is a long way from Lang Park, further than Ipswich.

Not really mate

Redcliffe to Milton is 34kms

Ipswich to Milton is 41kms

Ipswich has the advantage of a direct train line though until the new Redcliffe line is finished

Last edited:

Desert Qlder

First Grade
There is no fcking way Redcliffe will ever be in the NRL. They are not even worthy of a thread.

mongoose

Coach
Not really mate

Redcliffe to Milton is 34kms

Ipswich to Milton is 41kms

Ipswich has the advantage of a direct train line though until the new Redcliffe line is finished

its also a more direct route from ipswich. Redcliffe is a merkin to get in and out of.

Brutus

Referee
Rugby league needs a decent 2nd stadium in the greater Brisbane area.

It's Suncorp then....Langlands maybe.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Can't see it going anywhere (Manly 2.0) but if they can use it as a way to get more funding for their stadium then more power to them.

Rugby league needs a decent 2nd stadium in the greater Brisbane area.

It's Suncorp then....Langlands maybe.

Agree, would be nice to see Langlands and Dolphin Oval, etc done up to the same standards as the Sunny Coast or Mackay stadiums