What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redcliffe Dolphins recruitment targets

Gobsmacked

Bench
Dolphins now throwing the kitchen sink at Munster. Interestingly everyone they have signed so far is for 2 years or more so does that mean they still have at least $1.3mill (plus the remaining 7 players yet to be signed) not used on the '23 cap?

The amount Wayne Bennett and the Dolphins are willing to pay Cameron Munster has risen again, with the club reportedly set to offer the star up to $1.3 million per season to shift north from the start of the 2024 season.
While the Storm - and Munster himself - have made it clear that he won't be going anywhere for the 2023 season, which is the final year of his current contract in the Victorian capital, he is yet to sign beyond the end of next season.
The Storm have made it clear they want to keep Munster beyond the end of 2023, and are desperate to get a deal done before November 1 when he can formally begin to negotiate and receive offers from other clubs.
Yeah it's an interesting one.
Munster's an amazing player but not that amazing. There has to be a fair bit to do with marketability. He's a QLD hero and being from Rockhampton is important also as they are laying claim to Central QLD, he will be the foundation of that claim one would imagine.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeah it's an interesting one.
Munster's an amazing player but not that amazing. There has to be a fair bit to do with marketability. He's a QLD hero and being from Rockhampton is important also as they are laying claim to Central QLD, he will be the foundation of that claim one would imagine.
Having missed out on the other star players they need one, the fact Munster is a pretty handy player as well only cements his value to them. To Storm he's worth around $800k to them $1.3mill. They need quality in the backline which is at the moment very lacking. If he's worth that much cap space at 30 years old when he joins them from a performance of the team perspective is debatable.

Perth Red

Post Whore
only 19 to top squad must mean 10 on the current list are not signed to the 30 man squad?

Wayne Bennett admits things are "progressing slowly" as he tries to build an NRL team from scratch to compete in the elite competition next year.
The Dolphins will enter the league ahead of the 2023 season and supercoach Bennett is charged with compiling a 30-man roster strong enough to compete with the best in the business.
With just three months until Bennett will want to kick off pre-season training with his players, the Dolphins have signed only 19 to the top squad, complemented by a number of development contracts.
There's been calls for the governing body to step in and either help the Dolphins sign a marquee player, or delay their introduction into the league.
"(Recruitment is) progressing slowly," Bennett said on Monday.
"I'm pretty happy with where we're at. We don't totally have all the players that we want, but we know what we're doing and we're slowing building.
"We have 19 players contracted at the moment - plus a few trainees and that - we still have good options out there, we've just got to make the right decisions.

"We want to have a competitive team next year, and at the same time we want to have a load of young players coming through over the next four or fives years who will go on to be wonderful players.

"What we've paid for the players has been good value for them and good value for us, and we have got a fair bit left in the cap to get those players we are looking for.
"We won't have that excuse that we can't afford that bloke, if he is the right bloke."

Bennett has ruffled plenty of feathers in the NRL over his pursuit of a marquee player, who the Dolphins could pay as much as $1.5 million - more than $200,000 more than the highest annual salary ever paid to a player in Australia.
The legendary coach has been criticised for failing to recruit a marquee star to date.

Bennett explained why certain players haven't been keen on accepting his advances.

"It's the unknown for the players, is the issue," he said.

"The players I've been most keen on are the ones who have been asking who they're going to play with. The ones I worry about want to know who else is playing with them.

"That's the unknown. When I took the position here we had no players, so I'm confident enough with what I can do, and I want them to trust the fact we can build a good team here."

Gobsmacked

Bench
What's interesting is, this is the perfect environment for a new star to rise.
There's no overshadowing, imposing force to be intimidated by on massive bucks.
This is the ideal opportunity for Sullivan, King and the like to make a statement.
But they need to go hard after Bevan French. He's looking to return to Australia and would be a great Fullback at the Dolphins.

Don't forget who Bennett is..
He wants everyone to doubt them and talk them down, it will be direct fuel for fire and being underestimated is just perfect.
Remember the worst QLD team ever?
He's got the media and commentary just where he wants it .

MugaB

Coach
only 19 to top squad must mean 10 on the current list are not signed to the 30 man squad?

Wayne Bennett admits things are "progressing slowly" as he tries to build an NRL team from scratch to compete in the elite competition next year.
The Dolphins will enter the league ahead of the 2023 season and supercoach Bennett is charged with compiling a 30-man roster strong enough to compete with the best in the business.
With just three months until Bennett will want to kick off pre-season training with his players, the Dolphins have signed only 19 to the top squad, complemented by a number of development contracts.
There's been calls for the governing body to step in and either help the Dolphins sign a marquee player, or delay their introduction into the league.
"(Recruitment is) progressing slowly," Bennett said on Monday.
"I'm pretty happy with where we're at. We don't totally have all the players that we want, but we know what we're doing and we're slowing building.
"We have 19 players contracted at the moment - plus a few trainees and that - we still have good options out there, we've just got to make the right decisions.

"We want to have a competitive team next year, and at the same time we want to have a load of young players coming through over the next four or fives years who will go on to be wonderful players.

"What we've paid for the players has been good value for them and good value for us, and we have got a fair bit left in the cap to get those players we are looking for.
"We won't have that excuse that we can't afford that bloke, if he is the right bloke."

Bennett has ruffled plenty of feathers in the NRL over his pursuit of a marquee player, who the Dolphins could pay as much as $1.5 million - more than $200,000 more than the highest annual salary ever paid to a player in Australia.
The legendary coach has been criticised for failing to recruit a marquee star to date.

Bennett explained why certain players haven't been keen on accepting his advances.

"It's the unknown for the players, is the issue," he said.

"The players I've been most keen on are the ones who have been asking who they're going to play with. The ones I worry about want to know who else is playing with them.

"That's the unknown. When I took the position here we had no players, so I'm confident enough with what I can do, and I want them to trust the fact we can build a good team here."
Whats awkward about what he said, fkn media always looking to suck you in with drama when there isn't any

Colk

First Grade
nah, Munster can play but is a bit of a tool so I've got no intention of breaking my 23 year support of the Storm, besides I'm not sure the "THE" extends as far as WA :)

The is for everyone and everybody. Sounds like a bad pop song btw.

Gobsmacked

Bench
This is why Munster is the future of the Dolphins - great player and he's from Rockhampton! They are heavily targeting this market and it's there for the picking....https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2022/08/17/nrl-dolphins-partner-with-capras-to-support-cq-rugby-league/

Sounds like all is not lost for him staying at the Storm. lol at Latrell being second choice if they don't land Munster! Its bizarre that Anasta is sharing Munsters negotiations with the world!

Yeah agree, unprofessional for Anasta to be publicly commenting on the discussions although its achieving his desired outcome for Munster. If they miss out on Munster, it would be little to no chance of landing Latrell - Latrell loves Souths and took unders to go there (as compared to the money the Roosters and Tigers were offering).

Latest posts