What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redneck Redfaces 2

POPEYE

Coach
Who really expected the Panthers to beat the Roosters, might have been a fair bet if the mob from Bondi had been undefeated but it's never going to be easy playing them when their pride's been ruffled. Not because I tipped the Roosters pre season to win the cup but imo any loss this year will be just a hiccup.

There are just a few sides with all men on deck that have to beat themselves to lose and the Roosters are one. The real interest is how many of the rest can step up a rung while we wait for September

oikee

Juniors
There are a few teams i dont bother to watch. Roosters, Manly, Dogs and Bunnies i try to avoid.
These teams have too many international players compared to other teams.
I prefer to watch a more balanced comp and enjoy teams like panthers raiders, dragons, storm, broncos, cows and knights etc. Even the titans and sharks are fun to watch.
It makes for great viewing.

They seem to have fewer mistakes with the video ,and refs not going upstairs all the time.

I have become a lot calmer since i adopted this approach this year.
I know i might miss a couple of great games, the point is i can always watch them later if i choose.

I also find i have more time to do other things, like watch grass grow then mow it.

The roosters and dogs were not on the list until the chooks bought sonny-bill, and then Burgess from the uk and Fergo, Hastings from the dragons and a bunch of other juniors from other clubs.

The dogs seem to have done the same, with dessy taking a few players across from Manly, and then he got one Morris from the dragons and then the other morris.

I mean all they are doing is creating a better club next door playing musical chairs with players.

So then all you have is a weak team next door as the weak team now becomes the stronger team.

In respect our code has become unbalanced and fans quickly become disillusioned.

I know clubs want to win at all costs, but our code is not winning, it is being run poorly, fans are tired of watching some of their best players now across the road playing for another club, which in turn comes back to belt your team.

It is not real exciting.

Manly is now the Storm, being stripped of all their players. No wonder the crowds are going backwards.

Might as well say this now, the whole code is now unfair, the salary cap is really not working, and the game is poor, with mistakes made nearly every game. (by refs and players)

I would say i am now at 30% of how much footy i watch now. Trust me, i am not the only one walking away.
With every elbow to the face, with every crusher or concussion , with star players like Thurston being beaten and the culprits going free, and brawls like Loko and the Manly winger, our game is suffering a death of 1000 cuts.

Last edited:

expert

Juniors
LMFAO! Your stupidity and lack of knowledge doesn't disappoint, that being most of the teams you prefer to watch have more internationals and less "juniors" than the former.... They should not allow kids on an adults forum! Your parents let you mow?

expert

Juniors
Too easy . . . Gosford your holiday home away from Mudgee now that the Roosters have the pick of the joint?
I'm sure you understand your Gaelic jibber? Looks like the rubbers have calmed the flow, do you prefer the ribbed ones or coloured? Don't fuss Origin will arrive sooner then you think, then you can have full release................... Are you "The redneck"?

POPEYE

Coach
Pop please give expert some expert advice

I've only been guessing at the true identity of 'expert' . . . the bloke I imagined he is has a wicked sense of humour and disguises his knowledge of the game, which is truly as extensive as any I've read on here, with unmitigated pisstaking

I may be wrong as to his identity, if I am he is a blind expert

POPEYE

Coach
Speaking of experts, or once were drips under pressure, Jabba has a fine handle on the state of the game refereeing wise. Just about sums up what most of us are thinking, the game itself is being superceded by the way it's managed, players are having a decreasing say in results.

Let's see if he is rebuked by the NRL for despondency over referees, if not maybe CEO's should attend press conferences and give it to the pricks. The great man says he's not having a go at referees but the 'processes' they are forced to follow, a word the Referees Elite Manager likes to use when excusing bullshit

What is really needed is for a referee to blatantly disregard instructions and control the game the way the Poms do, sorry . . . ad nauseam I know. Blow penalties only when necessary, don't nitpick, etc, etc. Then when he gets hauled over the coals for not conforming we can all rush to his defence, maybe even picket NRL headquarters calling for his reinstatement.

In reality Jabba is probably the only man that will ruffle administration goose feathers, now is the time to get behind him, give him a sword and mount him on a white steed

Oh, I don't apologise for any spelling errors or brain fades in choices of words . . . they might be an old man's memory loss or just a fly trap

Last edited:

soc123_au

Staff member
I've only been guessing at the true identity of 'expert' . . . the bloke I imagined he is has a wicked sense of humour and disguises his knowledge of the game, which is truly as extensive as any I've read on here, with unmitigated pisstaking

I may be wrong as to his identity, if I am he is a blind expert

Bellyache?

Whoever it is you need to take charge of your thread Pops. These mouth breathers are ruining it.

oikee

Juniors
It just goes to show. All those fans on here who whinge about crowds, refs, players misbehaving, the marketing, promotion and people in charge of our code who dont seem to have a clue what they are doing,. are looking vindicated.
Greeny-burg and ref boss along with committee's trying to introduce 10 refs and a bunker, along with wanting to 'reduce interchanges' and 'concussions out of control' not to mention fowl play going unpunished and more players in the news for brawling.
The code is and has been suffering the death of a thousand cuts ever since the brawl at brookie had mums dads and kids heading for other codes.

The real facts are as stated in todays story of crowds going backwards, TV viewers headed for the hills.
We all know this, we all know that watching replay after replay of a video refs decision, only to get it wrong would turn fans off, and having the on-ground ref make a 50/50 call, only for another ref (video) to also have a crack at a 50/50 call was going to do damage. End in tears.
We knew this though.
Some bloggers have been whinging about these dud rules now for 5 years.
It has got worse, not better.
Diehards are now walking away.

Not long ago i said 3 codes,,,"soccer union and league" are paying for Melbourne's MCG to lower their food and drink prices.
So our codes are paying the AFL to allow their fans to enjoy cheaper food and drink.
This is true, the firm that does the catering also runs Sydney footy stadium, ANZ and Suncorp.

The hotdog i bought at Suncorp at the opening game should have been condemned. I have never witnessed such disgraceful food in my life.

We getting our teeth kicked down our throats, our heads kicked in at every turn under the running our code has to suffer.
Look at the Gold coasts Titans deal, compared to the suns who have Stadium running rights.

Something has to give, some like it hot, but these issues are red hot, and we need a leader who can lead with one voice.
Not freddie trying to make changes, not Gus whinging, not Matty Johns making jokes, not paul Kent sinking the boot thinking his opinion is right.
All those voices need to be taken away by a strong leader.

? Who is going to step up. Dave Smith is a Banker and knows how to run the game.
We needed the yank, the lady who was running the marketing and planning for the greenbay packers.
We missed a big opportunity the day she got away.

oikee

Juniors
I better post this here, they are after me Captain.

The game has taken the fun off the fans, and the fans are now confronted with a video ref they cant trust.

The captains challenge will put the fans back in control, the fans at the game.
And this is how you regain the fans confidence, and get them back.
They get to watch the same replay as the Captain, and then their voices can be heard again in protest or defeat.
The point is the excitement is back in the hands of the fans.

Drop balls will also just become drop balls, not a penalty for stripping.

Look, all the negative is taken out of the enjoyment of watching the code, so the excitement comes back, but only if we have the captains challenge.

What i am asking is why,,,,why cant the NRL or anyone working at the NRL see this as the best option.

That is the scary part. Our code has no vision, or aries, or even visionaries .
They are blinkered and bogged down with this bunker and refs having no responsibility for blunders which now happen every game.

That is why fans are walking. Bring in the Captains call and fans will return,. Viewers will return.

POPEYE

Coach
Bellyache?

Whoever it is you need to take charge of your thread Pops. These mouth breathers are ruining it.

I'm stuck in the Qld boondocks ol' mate, I need all the bumps I can get while I have limited access. You could always jump in now and again with some off the cuff stuff. Must admit I only skim over oikee, no offence lad, but he means well and is no skin off my nose. Whatever he's saying people are reading it . . . we need a bit of light reading in these dark and gloomy days

POPEYE

Coach
I suppose the interest for most will be how many points Souths will put on the Eels, I'm more interested in seeing how the Eels are going and how the Rabbitohs are adjusting with Stewart replacing Te'o as surprise weapon. Not used to missing games but not long before I return home

Tigers/Dogs should be interesting, Todd is talking up less interchange so his mob must have some fleet footed players in mind for poaching. CB will need to start the game running, Taylor will most certainly have his team exploding off the chocks but Richards will be sorely missed

Stone says there is a new calmness in the joint, more like a new attitude imo and plenty of it. Penrith better be prepared for the rough and tumble coming their way, hope injury prevention management is up to scratch. Starting Gidley is a good move, Sione 18th? will do better when the softening up is over and the probable loss of Kurt is no big deal

Best thing about the game at Remondis is either the Sharks or Titans will win . . . one of them is going to boost their confidence. Couple of debutants might make it worth a look

Dragons will need every bit of their WIN luck to beat the Seagles who sooner rather than later will stop crunching gears

I like two-up odds so I'd never bet on the Warriors, their dumb and dumber halves pairing might be interesting now and again but not worth risking any pension money. They will have to be on their game to beat the Broncos

The Rooster gun will have to go off in it's holster and have them on one foot for Sticky not to need a box of tissues

Not sure I appreciate that the Cowboys must win this one, Melbourne aren't exactly setting the world on fire. Will however be interesting to see how the new halves combination goes against the best one man team in the comp

Bigcoq

Juniors
You fresh off a boat, speak f**king Australian if you want to converse with me but once you do be careful you don't bite off more than you can chew . . . squealing like a pig with 20mm tusks won't work here.

If you had even a modicum of intelligence you'd realise I wasn't saying anything disparaging about the Roosters dipshit, just saying like everyone else that Souths are on a roll. Losing Friend is nothing compared to losing Reynolds but the Roosters are still the only team capable of getting close on a good day . . . they're going to have to concentrate a little harder
Funny stuff you and I both know that the short sharp tusks are the ones that do the damage and good feed of Yabbies and beer at the bore fixes everything.

Bigcoq

Juniors
There are a few teams i dont bother to watch. Roosters, Manly, Dogs and Bunnies i try to avoid.
These teams have too many international players compared to other teams.
I prefer to watch a more balanced comp and enjoy teams like panthers raiders, dragons, storm, broncos, cows and knights etc. Even the titans and sharks are fun to watch.
It makes for great viewing.

They seem to have fewer mistakes with the video ,and refs not going upstairs all the time.

I have become a lot calmer since i adopted this approach this year.
I know i might miss a couple of great games, the point is i can always watch them later if i choose.

I also find i have more time to do other things, like watch grass grow then mow it.

The roosters and dogs were not on the list until the chooks bought sonny-bill, and then Burgess from the uk and Fergo, Hastings from the dragons and a bunch of other juniors from other clubs.

The dogs seem to have done the same, with dessy taking a few players across from Manly, and then he got one Morris from the dragons and then the other morris.

I mean all they are doing is creating a better club next door playing musical chairs with players.

So then all you have is a weak team next door as the weak team now becomes the stronger team.

In respect our code has become unbalanced and fans quickly become disillusioned.

I know clubs want to win at all costs, but our code is not winning, it is being run poorly, fans are tired of watching some of their best players now across the road playing for another club, which in turn comes back to belt your team.

It is not real exciting.

Manly is now the Storm, being stripped of all their players. No wonder the crowds are going backwards.

Might as well say this now, the whole code is now unfair, the salary cap is really not working, and the game is poor, with mistakes made nearly every game. (by refs and players)

I would say i am now at 30% of how much footy i watch now. Trust me, i am not the only one walking away.
With every elbow to the face, with every crusher or concussion , with star players like Thurston being beaten and the culprits going free, and brawls like Loko and the Manly winger, our game is suffering a death of 1000 cuts.
EeeeeeeeeOoooooor. :p

POPEYE

Coach
Funny stuff you and I both know that the short sharp tusks are the ones that do the damage and good feed of Yabbies and beer at the bore fixes everything.

Well fmd, whaddyaknow . . . expert really is a f**kwit

POPEYE

Coach
All this f**king tiring bullshit regarding the salary cap and juniors is as nauseating as me continually soapboxing my ideas on the subject. I'm not going to go away voluntarily so how can I expect anyone to be happy with an 'alternative'

Jabba is calling for another bandaid, an 'internal draft' whatever the f**k that is to make blokes like DCE make their plans public before the event. Anyone who thinks 'money' can be diffused through regulation is naïve, it's not salaries that need capping it's f**king laziness that needs capping

Seriously, what does 'large junior breeding grounds' have to do with anything. What single 'breeding ground' is larger than NZ, Bellamy wanders around the joint picking up talent like it's growing on trees. If the NRL were serious about a 'level playing field' all that needs to be done is place a minimum cap for every club on junior development somewhere, anywhere, within the NRL boundaries

If every club is told they have to spend a required amount in a genuine attempt to promote junior development does it matter where. Maybe it helps for crowds if clubs do it in their local area but would the Raiders mind if the Perth Reds supported Canberra juniors to make up their quota. Claiming players before they are introduced to the NRL is an excuse for mediocrisy

Jabba goes from supporting the Roosters in a red phone box to the Panthers dancing with wolves, still he uses players from all over the joint. What's more important, the Eels having first dibs in the Parramatta district, discarding/disappointing juniors not quite good enough or searching out players from all over and being allowed to keep them

Being allowed or helped to keep players that have been transformed from juniors to NRL players is the key to a level playing ground. Some dickwad says its unfair other teams can't have the same talent as the Roosters. Brian Smith had plenty of talent but like Sticky he doesn't know what to tell them without a blackboard

The answer is to make all clubs support junior development equally somewhere, look hard for new players and teach them how to play NRL standard Rugby League. Clubs need to be rewarded for doing what the game needs to prosper and probably penalised for poaching which is promoting stagnancy.

Instructors/scouts have a bigger influence on the game than players, reward their efforts and everything else will fall into place. People in Penrith won't give a rat's arse who Jabba has to employ to get the job done, they will care if other clubs are allowed to leech off the finished product . . . supporters will only take so much poaching