What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reece Robson Leaving

Crush

Coach
If Robson is getting offered big money to go elsewhere there isn't much our club can do. We have a hooker on a long term contract, a good hooker.
You can't pay your starting hooker 600K and your bench hooker 400K, too much.
Good luck to Robson, I hope he takes his opportunity with both hands.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
It was reported in "Sporting News", not your most reliable source of information.

However, it would not surprise if true.

possm

Coach
I have heard the Reece Robson is close to leaving us for the Doggies or Cows

In my opinion this could be a really bad loss just because mcgregor loves McInnes :rolling_eyes:

Surely it really does not matter what Mary thinks as we all know his decision making is flawed. The responsibility is laid at Millward's feet and he is supposed to provide the squad for Mary to work with.

The real story is that Millward has stuffed up as usual. Buying fringe player depth before securing good talent. Robson should be retained even if it means letting McInnes go in a year or so.

I am absolutely sure that if Robson is given the opportunity, he will outshine McInnes in dummy half play, attack and defence. My tip is that he will quickly come into contention for SOO selection

barry

Juniors
I have heard the Reece Robson is close to leaving us for the Doggies or Cows

In my opinion this could be a really bad loss just because mcgregor loves McInnes :rolling_eyes:

Some of the posts on here are really ridiculous, I’m not a fan of Mary, but do you really blame him for loving mcinness ?

McInness is next in line to play hooker for the blues behind Cook.

What do you want the club to do? Take the punt and sack McInness and hope Robson lives up to his hype?

How many times have we seen junior guns flop in first grade ?

If Robson is getting offered big money to go elsewhere there isn't much our club can do. We have a hooker on a long term contract, a good hooker.
You can't pay your starting hooker 600K and your bench hooker 400K, too much.
Good luck to Robson, I hope he takes his opportunity with both hands.
Pretty philosophical at what amounts to a terrible outcome for the club.
I think this is another Jack Bird scenario.
These young guys want to play football not be dicked around by an incompetent Head coach boring to them to tears with clichés.
I don't think Robson would go anywhere if he was getting regular game time.

Last edited:

Dragsters

First Grade
These young guys want to play football not be dicked around by an incompetent Head coach boring to them to tears with clichés.
I don't think Robson would not go anywhere if he was getting regular game time.

Agreed.

I also don't think he is going anywhere unless he is guaranteed a starting spot and I can't see how parra would pick him ahead of their own gun rookie Reed Mahoney...

possm

Coach
Some of the posts on here are really ridiculous, I’m not a fan of Mary, but do you really blame him for loving mcinness ?

What do you want the club to do? Take the punt and sack McInness and hope Robson lives up to his hype?

Why do you talk about one obviously unpalatable option. We have love child Aitken and unpredictable Lafai in the centre but still extend new boy Lomax, can you see the parallel?

Robson and McInnes can work in tandem and even occupy a lock anc hooker rotation. It is not just a matter of keeping one or the other at this stage. If Robson is extended and proves to be better than McInnes prior to his next extension, it would only be then that maybe a choice between one of the two would be required.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Why do you talk about one obviously unpalatable option. We have love child Aitken and unpredictable Lafai in the centre but still extend new boy Lomax, can you see the parallel?

Robson and McInnes can work in tandem and even occupy a lock anc hooker rotation. It is not just a matter of keeping one or the other at this stage. If Robson is extended and proves to be better than McInnes prior to his next extension, it would only be then that maybe a choice between one of the two would be required.

Agree- it is interesting to contrast the team we are likely to field in Round 1 and, for instance, the Bunnies and the Roosters who I would rate above us. Both teams have developed established young starting players from juniors (Souths will have Campbell Graham and Cameron Murray-both second year first graders and the Roosters Latrell Mitchell, Joseph Manu and Victor Radley- also second year first graders). Mitchell came from up north to the Roosters but at a young age.

On the other hand, Jacob Host, Luc, Aitken and Dufty are either bench players at best - or in the case of Aitken- unwanted by everybody except Mary- and probably Millward.

If Robson goes, I'd like to blame the poor player development and retention on Mary but I fear it is a wider problem at the club.

possm

Coach
Agree- it is interesting to contrast the team we are likely to field in Round 1 and, for instance, the Bunnies and the Roosters who I would rate above us. Both teams have developed established young starting players from juniors (Souths will have Campbell Graham and Cameron Murray-both second year first graders and the Roosters Latrell Mitchell, Joseph Manu and Victor Radley- also second year first graders). Mitchell came from up north to the Roosters but at a young age.

On the other hand, Jacob Host, Luc, Aitken and Dufty are either bench players at best - or in the case of Aitken- unwanted by everybody except Mary- and probably Millward.

If Robson goes, I'd like to blame the poor player development and retention on Mary but I fear it is a wider problem at the club.

Recruitment/retention/pathways all MIllward's responsibility. E.g. remember when Millward did not want to extend Dugan and Mary did, yes Dugan was not extended.

The excuse given by SGI management for the role of recruitment/ retention/pathways to be separated outside of the control of the head coach was to provide stability over the long term and to ensure the coach did not have final say on the makeup of the the player squad.

Millward is to provide Mary with a squad to coach. Retaining Robson is Millward's responsibility no matter what Mary thinks about McInnes.

Last edited:

slippery5

Juniors
I don't think Robson would not go anywhere if he was getting regular game time.
I too am not a fan of M'cNoidea, however, in reference to being dicked around maybe true in the case of Bird, also it was only injuries that gave Lomax & Dufty an opportunity to shine. We all wanted them to show how they can perform if given the chance over the chosen ones week in week out.
This is not the case in the #9 as he does perform each week. I'm not a fan of carrying another #9 wasted on the bench, I would prefer a bench player to be used as a forward running player, unless he is a impact player taking advantage of tired defence ie. Segeyaro /Craig Wing type, this was how Cook was used before demanding to be picked with his dynamic running. He is a worker & has a good running game when he chooses the right moments.
You could give McInnes A week off throughout the year to prevent burnout etc. & if Robson can show what he could bring, than it maybe a cheaper option with the salary cap, as I don't believe he would be asking more than McIness as a 2nd tier SOO player last year in most people eyes.

possm

Coach
I too am not a fan of M'cNoidea, however, in reference to being dicked around maybe true in the case of Bird, also it was only injuries that gave Lomax & Dufty an opportunity to shine. We all wanted them to show how they can perform if given the chance over the chosen ones week in week out.
This is not the case in the #9 as he does perform each week. I'm not a fan of carrying another #9 wasted on the bench, I would prefer a bench player to be used as a forward running player, unless he is a impact player taking advantage of tired defence ie. Segeyaro /Craig Wing type, this was how Cook was used before demanding to be picked with his dynamic running. He is a worker & has a good running game when he chooses the right moments.
You could give McInnes A week off throughout the year to prevent burnout etc. & if Robson can show what he could bring, than it maybe a cheaper option with the salary cap, as I don't believe he would be asking more than McIness as a 2nd tier SOO player last year in most people eyes.

Please cast your mind back to 2010 when our Premiership winning coach - Bennett - used Dean Young is the same role as what it is suggested Robson play.

If you go back and look at a few games where an 80min hooker is used, the hooker usually is showing fatigue in the final 10-20min of each half. In our case I've noticed that McInnes begins to serve the wayward pass, is less likely to run and often gives away silly penalties after tackling a player.

To have such a gun as Robson, who can play hooker and backrow at our club would only be a bonus and could very well be the difference between winning and losing a game.

RedVDave

First Grade

This a great post could not agree more, furthermore a few names off the top of my head that this forum went in to meltdown over when they signed elsewhere:

Jack Bosden
Beau Henry
Cameron King
Jack Stockwell
Chris Houston

In general I agree with you but it seems to be a recurring theme. We are very conservative when it comes to player selections.
McInnes is a work horse. He tackles himself to a standstill every week but he will never be a match winner like Cook (who we let go BTW), Farah in his hay day, Luke or Smith.
Robson does have that potential and there in lies the opportunity for the club to make a call for the sake of the future.