What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reece Robson

RufusRex

Post Whore
The days of 80 min hookers a fast coming to an end Imo. Only truly game hardened 9s can handle the weekly grind of NRL. No matter where Reece Reece goes he'll always be in rotation with another until well in to his career. At 20 years old he still a long way off that.
The point to consider is does he want to win a Premiership or just play football. If it's the former then he's better off staying at the dragons, if it's the latter and he just wants the coin then I moved to the Titans wouldn't surprise.

I can easily see a future that has 9. Robson and 14. Lovodua ...
Joe is the ideal bench player if he continues his current progression ... Can play a number of positions including edge and hooker. So has a lot more utility value than Mann or even Robson.

Robson can play the main hooker role with some respite from Joe but no requirement to play 80.

That pair gives the coach so much flexibility.

I think it is crucial that Reece start the season in the 17 and if he shines then lock him in even if it means losing McInnes.

BLM01

First Grade
The days of 80 min hookers a fast coming to an end Imo. Only truly game hardened 9s can handle the weekly grind of NRL. No matter where Reece Reece goes he'll always be in rotation with another until well in to his career. At 20 years old he still a long way off that.
The point to consider is does he want to win a Premiership or just play football. If it's the former then he's better off staying at the dragons, if it's the latter and he just wants the coin then I moved to the Titans wouldn't surprise.
Cant understand the Titans..they have Peats, Rein & Peachey already that can play 9

BLM01

First Grade
I can easily see a future that has 9. Robson and 14. Lovodua ...
Joe is the ideal bench player if he continues his current progression ... Can play a number of positions including edge and hooker. So has a lot more utility value than Mann or even Robson.

Robson can play the main hooker role with some respite from Joe but no requirement to play 80.

That pair gives the coach so much flexibility.

I think it is crucial that Reece start the season in the 17 and if he shines then lock him in even if it means losing McInnes.
Yeh future you may be right and I hope Robbo develops to outshine McInnes, but right now we cant afford to lose McInnes

BLM01

First Grade
None of them as good as Robson though. Doesnt matter who is in front if you are better. (unless the coach is mary of course)
You are kidding right. :eek: Robson is a current better 1st grade hooker than those 3. On what basis have you watched him in 1st grade to judge that. He might end up being and everyone has potential...but...

RufusRex

Post Whore
You are kidding right. :eek: Robson is a current better 1st grade hooker than those 3. On what basis have you watched him in 1st grade to judge that. He might end up being and everyone has potential...but...

Well - Rein is trash .. we all know that .. His contract is up this year.
Peachey is not there to play 9

It's Peats vs Robson .. Peats is more experienced and has a contract till 2020 .. Robson is a better player with a more complete game but lacks the experience. Peats has missed 20 odd games over the past 3 seasons with them too so they may be looking at a gamble for stability.

Titans in a very good contract position to get Robson ... They can offer the starting gig (may annoy Peats) The facts that Mal Meninga is publically pushing for him, he has been selected for Australia already and family is up there will make it hard to hold onto him.

Yes he is inexperienced.

watatank

Coach
Cant understand the Titans..they have Peats, Rein & Peachey already that can play 9

Peachey won't be asked to play 9 and Rein probably won't stay past 2019.

The Titans can offer Robson the chance to return home, share the 9 role with Peats in 2020 (who will be asked to play more lock) and then take over in 2021. That would have to be their pitch. He may not take that and could still stay with us but difficult with McInnes contracted to 2021.

BLM01

First Grade
Peachey won't be asked to play 9 and Rein probably won't stay past 2019.

The Titans can offer Robson the chance to return home, share the 9 role with Peats in 2020 (who will be asked to play more lock) and then take over in 2021. That would have to be their pitch. He may not take that and could still stay with us but difficult with McInnes contracted to 2021.
Well if peats can be told that then so can Mcinnes. No reason for the Dragons to lose him....if he really has got it. (unknown yet)

RufusRex

Post Whore
Well if peats can be told that then so can Mcinnes. No reason for the Dragons to lose him....if he really has got it. (unknown yet)

Agree .. but we know Mary's track record of dumping players dont we.
It is why it is important that Robson be given decent time at the start of the season and then after 6-10 games a head to head choice between the two for starting player be made.

denis preston

First Grade
So would you put that down to poor planning by Millward? I mean to sign McInnes long term when there is a very bright young junior on the horizon seems odd to me. Millward needs to consult his whiteboard again and make room for the long term retention of Robson and Lomax.

Of course the reverse is signing Aitken and Lafai long term when there form just did not justify this action.

You may be right about Lomax however, I believe he is a Dragons boy through and through and in the near future will pick up salary gained by the non-extention of Aitken and Lafai.

What a MESS

In Mcinnes you are talking about one of the top 3 hookers eligible to play for NSW .So your scenario would be not to sign Mcinnes and leave him susceptible to offers from other clubs so you can leave the door open for a unproven 20 year old ? Your " what a mess"" triade again ignores all the representative players resigned, top level players in Hunt, Norman, Graham & the 2 Simms signed as well as promising juniors secured.

watatank

Coach

Can you see that happening? McInnes is much younger, signed a year longer and could be the next captain.

I want Robson to stay, I hope he can convince him to stay like Melbourne have done with Brendan Smith but it will be difficult.

RufusRex

Post Whore
Can you see that happening? McInnes is much younger, signed a year longer and could be the next captain.

I want Robson to stay, I hope he can convince him to stay like Melbourne have done with Brendan Smith but it will be difficult.

You should have just said "Can you see that happening? Mary is our coach" .. the rest is superfluous.

watatank

Coach
You should have just said "Can you see that happening? Mary is our coach" .. the rest is superfluous.

Yep...you just know that even though we let Mann go, the coach will probably use that open spot to rotate Field, Robson, Dufty (or Norman) and others through.

RufusRex

Post Whore
Yes .. We need someone who can come in and play that lock role for 10-15 minutes so Field is the ideal choice. What a dolt.

GC Dragon

Juniors
Since Mal Meninga has become involved with the Titans his job is to identify and attract players he sees as being able to get the club to where it needs to be . He simply doesn't rate Peats or Rein .
He has said Robson is his number one target as he sees him as a future test player and a captain
If the Dragons don't get this kid into first grade this year they will lose him . Even then when the Australian coach has that opinion of you and is after you it will be very hard to keep him at the Dragons .

BLM01

First Grade
Agree .. but we know Mary's track record of dumping players dont we.
It is why it is important that Robson be given decent time at the start of the season and then after 6-10 games a head to head choice between the two for starting player be made.
I agree..but McInnes has hardly proven he is worth dumping yet either in favour of Robson.

Not hard to convince a player to play under C Smith and learn and play for Bellamy.
The family card does not always wash with me. It is not as if he cant go and visit them often on the Gold Coast. The family card never gets played when someone happy and on contract. 1hr flight + travel to & from airport. Can see em every couple of weeks if he wants
It will simply come down to money and someone to put a rocket up Mr Conservative coach protecting his start of season win / loss ratio and trying a few things different and a bit of rotation and dumping when required.
If we want Robson we have the money to keep him for 2020 and beyond for his current $$ worth in the market.

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
Since Mal Meninga has become involved with the Titans his job is to identify and attract players he sees as being able to get the club to where it needs to be . He simply doesn't rate Peats or Rein .
He has said Robson is his number one target as he sees him as a future test player and a captain
If the Dragons don't get this kid into first grade this year they will lose him . Even then when the Australian coach has that opinion of you and is after you it will be very hard to keep him at the Dragons .
Of course Mal does..in conjunction with his player manager shopping him round. It is plain to see how those timely statements got out to the press. Get him now before his price really does go up.Over to you Basil and the Dragons.
Possm..will give Basil tips on how to spend the clubs money.
Honestly if it was all fed dinkum..Mal wants him so much and (you say you know he does not rate Peats or Rein - god knows how).....they would lure him for this year with the $$$ and Robson would ask for a release just like Mann did now.
His management team have done a good job on this one and the pressure is now on our club.

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
It is a merkin of a situation ..
Would be very easy for Robson to think - If i say no to Mal am i going to have a line drawn through my name?
Now you are doing a Mundine and clutching at those straws again. on that basis...Titans will have an Australian team playing for them

RufusRex

Post Whore
Now you are doing a Mundine and clutching at those straws again. on that basis...Titans will have an Australian team playing for them

well no .. because not all players in the australian team have their contracts come up .. most efficient clubs lock players down in the year that they cannot be approached. The young player with potential being encouraged by the australian coach to go north is a unique situation. Esp considering said coach has already picked him once with 20 min of game time under his belt.

He may stay - i am just suggesting that the notion may enter his mind.