What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reece Robson

watatank

Coach
Not hard to convince a player to play under C Smith and learn and play for Bellamy.
The family card does not always wash with me. It is not as if he cant go and visit them often on the Gold Coast. The family card never gets played when someone happy and on contract. 1hr flight + travel to & from airport. Can see em every couple of weeks if he wants
It will simply come down to money and someone to put a rocket up Mr Conservative coach protecting his start of season win / loss ratio and trying a few things different and a bit of rotation and dumping when required.
If we want Robson we have the money to keep him for 2020 and beyond for his current $$ worth in the market.

There would be a clearer pathway to first grade at the Gold Coast. Being close to family is a bonus. Being recruited by the Kangaroos coach helps them but not a deciding factor.

It's not going to be about money, it's going to be about opportunity. Even though we gave him his first grade debut, he is going to need to play just about every game to even be a chance of staying past this contract. Even if he doesn't sign at the Gold Coast there's other options. I think the Bulldogs would be interested for example. At the moment, we have a coach that is gunning for a contract first and foremost and Robson may or may not be a part of that.

GC Dragon

Juniors
Of course Mal does..in conjunction with his player manager shopping him round. It is plain to see how those timely statements got out to the press. Get him now before his price really does go up.Over to you Basil and the Dragons.
Possm..will give Basil tips on how to spend the clubs money.
Honestly if it was all fed dinkum..Mal wants him so much and (you say you know he does not rate Peats or Rein - god knows how).....they would lure him for this year with the $$$ and Robson would ask for a release just like Mann did now.
His management team have done a good job on this one and the pressure is now on our club.
I think the fact that Meninga has come out publicly and said he wants Robson and sees him as a future captain tell you what he is thinking re Peats and Rein .
The Titans are after Robson for 2020 when the other two come off contract . And it was reported by Dobbin that it will be a 5 years deal they will offer .

George Dragon

Juniors
So would you put that down to poor planning by Millward? I mean to sign McInnes long term when there is a very bright young junior on the horizon seems odd to me. Millward needs to consult his whiteboard again and make room for the long term retention of Robson and Lomax.

Of course the reverse is signing Aitken and Lafai long term when there form just did not justify this action.

You may be right about Lomax however, I believe he is a Dragons boy through and through and in the near future will pick up salary gained by the non-extention of Aitken and Lafai.

What a MESS
I think signing any player long term is a mistake, long term favour players not clubs.
If a player wants out he only has to throw the line home sick, need to relocate etc.(Nene, Klemmer)
Or the player loses form or is on the outer then the club ends up paying them while they play somewhere else. (James, Corey)
Recruitment and retention is a difficult job, there is so much fans don't know about, Players discipline, training attitude, a preference for a coach or dislike of one, The mine field that is the salary cap.
Not too many clubs get it right, surprisingly its the one town, top end teams that do.
Mary has said he now has the team he wanted, does that mean Basil has done his job well, If we fail this year is it Marys fault or Basils.
Zac choice could come down to preference for a coach or the chance of a premiership (teddy choice),
Players have a 10-12 year career, would you not want to be at a club that features in finals a lot.
The Lafai extension is right up there with one of the worst, I can't defend anyone involved in it lol

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I think signing any player long term is a mistake, long term favour players not clubs.
If a player wants out he only has to throw the line home sick, need to relocate etc.(Nene, Klemmer)
Or the player loses form or is on the outer then the club ends up paying them while they play somewhere else. (James, Corey)
Recruitment and retention is a difficult job, there is so much fans don't know about, Players discipline, training attitude, a preference for a coach or dislike of one, The mine field that is the salary cap.
Not too many clubs get it right, surprisingly its the one town, top end teams that do.
Mary has said he now has the team he wanted, does that mean Basil has done his job well, If we fail this year is it Marys fault or Basils.
Zac choice could come down to preference for a coach or the chance of a premiership (teddy choice),
Players have a 10-12 year career, would you not want to be at a club that features in finals a lot.
The Lafai extension is right up there with one of the worst, I can't defend anyone involved in it lol

This is 100% correct.
McGregor has the team HE wanted, its now up to him. Wether Millward recruited the right person is some what irrelevant if McGregor (as any head coach would be) put his 10c worth in.

Just on Lafai, and i'm not defending here, he was extendrd based on the fact he was selected in the Samoan test team for the RLWC. Nothing more
Was it deserved, (3yrs) no, definitely not. But the bigger question remains, who extended him? My money is on McGregor, becausr also, at the same time, we got the extension of Aitken, also at that time

mickeylane

Bench
Let’s be serious here - there is nothing we have seen at top grade that tells us Robson can wipe Mcinnesses boots..zilch! Mciness is probably the shadow SOO hooker behind Cook..the guy plays 80 min for fun and makes 50 tackles a game at an effective completion rate of 98% . His metre gaining is up there .. tell me where Robson is a better hooker than Mciness as we speak.. if Robson wants to leave and f**k his career at the GC I say good luck. The Dragons literally have a top 4 team for the next 3-4 years here - he would be better off fighting it out w Mciness and developing at the Dragons as a 14 rather than go to a club outside the to 8 and potentially struggle. At this stage it’s Mciness then daylight to Robson.

New Dragon

Juniors
Let’s be serious here - there is nothing we have seen at top grade that tells us Robson can wipe Mcinnesses boots..zilch! Mciness is probably the shadow SOO hooker behind Cook..the guy plays 80 min for fun and makes 50 tackles a game at an effective completion rate of 98% . His metre gaining is up there .. tell me where Robson is a better hooker than Mciness as we speak.. if Robson wants to leave and f**k his career at the GC I say good luck. The Dragons literally have a top 4 team for the next 3-4 years here - he would be better off fighting it out w Mciness and developing at the Dragons as a 14 rather than go to a club outside the to 8 and potentially struggle. At this stage it’s Mciness then daylight to Robson.
You miss the point. This whole thread is about him not staying behind Mciness who we all agree is a good hooker. Robson only needs to be better than the hooking options at other clubs to get a run as a hooker. Why would he settle for a Kurt Mann type of role here when he could double his money and get a start somewhere else? To the person/club that wants to take a punt on a 20yr old junior kangaroo and ISP player of the year they may just hit the jackpot.

watatank

Coach
This is 100% correct.
McGregor has the team HE wanted, its now up to him. Wether Millward recruited the right person is some what irrelevant if McGregor (as any head coach would be) put his 10c worth in.

Just on Lafai, and i'm not defending here, he was extendrd based on the fact he was selected in the Samoan test team for the RLWC. Nothing more
Was it deserved, (3yrs) no, definitely not. But the bigger question remains, who extended him? My money is on McGregor, becausr also, at the same time, we got the extension of Aitken, also at that time

After Dugan announced he was leaving, we announced the signings of Lafai and Mann. Aitken was signed months before that.

possm

Coach

I'd say hold your judgement until we see him in action on a regular basis in first grade. I think you'll find that not only will he prove to give the team a lift but also give McInnes the rest he deserves.

In my view Millward should do all he can to keep Robson and McInnes in the hooker rotation other clubs would die for.

True_Believer

Juniors

I don't think you understand the situation here. If Millward hasn't signed players rated on this forum to long term contracts then it's his fault. If he signs players long term that aren't rated on this forum, it's his fault. If we happen to sign a half decent player, it's pure luck. If we sign players who aren't first grade quality, then Millward has no idea. If we lose a player that the forum goers rate, Millward is useless. Essentially, there is no scenario that could be presented that would reflect positively on Millward's actions.

Finally, if you have access to excel and a couple of hours, you could do the recruitment and retention job with your eyes closed. It really is that easy apparently.

Now all that's out there, you can save valuable time writing anything that resembles positivity toward or in support of the recruitment and retention role or it's current incumbent.

possm

Coach
I don't think you understand the situation here. If Millward hasn't signed players rated on this forum to long term contracts then it's his fault. If he signs players long term that aren't rated on this forum, it's his fault. If we happen to sign a half decent player, it's pure luck. If we sign players who aren't first grade quality, then Millward has no idea. If we lose a player that the forum goers rate, Millward is useless. Essentially, there is no scenario that could be presented that would reflect positively on Millward's actions.

Finally, if you have access to excel and a couple of hours, you could do the recruitment and retention job with your eyes closed. It really is that easy apparently.

Now all that's out there, you can save valuable time writing anything that resembles positivity toward or in support of the recruitment and retention role or it's current incumbent.

It is not hard to explain. With Millward who was an old boy appointee, it is his skill-set and judgement that is in question. Given Aitken's and Lafai's clearly identified lack of form at the time, all that was necessary was to provide a short term extension and then evaluate again in a year or two.

Robson and Lomax (like Jack Bird) clearly have demonstrated that they are superstars of the future during their junior pathway through the to today. So rather than spend time and money signing fill-ins, it is my opinion that a priority should have been set to sign our brightest junior talent first. Then move on to fill in the gaps with cheap fill-ins.

True_Believer

Juniors
It is not hard to explain. With Millward who was an old boy appointee, it is his skill-set and judgement that is in question. Given Aitken's and Lafai's clearly identified lack of form at the time, all that was necessary was to provide a short term extension and then evaluate again in a year or two.

Robson and Lomax (like Jack Bird) clearly have demonstrated that they are superstars of the future during their junior pathway through the to today. So rather than spend time and money signing fill-ins, it is my opinion that a priority should have been set to sign our brightest junior talent first. Then move on to fill in the gaps with cheap fill-ins.

As per usual, you've completely ignored the detail of George Dragons post. You've got your agenda and you stick with it no matter how ludicrous it gets.

You talk about it not being personal, however you will twist and turn any decision into a Millward bashing exercise - completely overlooking anything that could possibly be positive.

I just can't take anything you say about the role or the person seriously because it's so blatantly biased.

BLM01

First Grade

Possm..you do have a convenient short memory and twist words when you want to to suit your agenda
1. Lafai was in form early 2017 until he signed...then he went downhill as did the side post June 17. Aitken was signed as showed good potential at the end of 2016 with some good tries and runs etc amongst a crap side except for Flo & Widdop. When he signed early 17 we had not played a game that year so his form was OK..I suppose.
2. Sign brightest junior talent first and then cheap fill-ins you say. That will get you nowhere especially not all talented juniors make it. We signed Lomax and Robson our Junior Talent to 2 years deals in 2017 when real top grade ability unknown. Lomax has already been extended to 2020. What more could we have done. Millward responded to you.
3. You and others seem buoyant about this years potential. We finished in the final 6 teams last year - in front of 10 others. Millward's judgment can not be so bad after all. The coaching...that is the real issue.

nontime111

Juniors
I'd say hold your judgement until we see him in action on a regular basis in first grade. I think you'll find that not only will he prove to give the team a lift but also give McInnes the rest he deserves.

In my view Millward should do all he can to keep Robson and McInnes in the hooker rotation other clubs would die for.
exactly! Robson like a young Cameron Smith only far cleaner! wipe the floor with those 2, yep 3 big bodies on the bench with Robson to scoot around every damn week!

Brutalitops

Juniors
Yeah this Robson situation is going to be a tricky one to handle. He's behind the possible shadow NSW hooker, who does done everything to earn his spot in our team, and would himself probably walk into most NRL teams as their full time hooker.

But Robson is a player with huge potential, with a ceiling possibly even higher than McInnes.

I daresay the club is in a no-win situation here. Letting either go will be controversial as both are 80 minute players.

I'm just going to be happy that either way we are going to end up with McInnes or Robson as our hooker and that is great either way

possm

Coach
Yeah this Robson situation is going to be a tricky one to handle. He's behind the possible shadow NSW hooker, who does done everything to earn his spot in our team, and would himself probably walk into most NRL teams as their full time hooker.

But Robson is a player with huge potential, with a ceiling possibly even higher than McInnes.

I daresay the club is in a no-win situation here. Letting either go will be controversial as both are 80 minute players.

I'm just going to be happy that either way we are going to end up with McInnes or Robson as our hooker and that is great either way
Robson needs to a priority long term signing along with Lomax. This should have been done by now because other clubs will try to snap these two young guns up by now.

Brutalitops

Juniors
Robson needs to a priority long term signing along with Lomax. This should have been done by now because other clubs will try to snap these two young guns up by now.
What do you propose we do with McInnes? I agree regarding Lomax (and the club had already made him a priority) but McInnes is still one of the better hookers in the NRL. Very hard to justify moving him on purely for the potential of someone else

RufusRex

Post Whore
What do you propose we do with McInnes? I agree regarding Lomax (and the club had already made him a priority) but McInnes is still one of the better hookers in the NRL. Very hard to justify moving him on purely for the potential of someone else

Start McInnes and give Robson 30 min R1 (15 at lock/15 at hooker) .. first month build his hooker minutes up. Mid season aim to have McInnes and Robson playing a half each at 9 ... make a decision on who is better. At least put in a plan to see . We will know mid season which one to keep.

Last edited:

possm

Coach

Sign Robson long term now. McInnes is already signed long term and we need that rotation happening so that our 9 can operate at full tilt for a full game. The different styles between Robson and McInnes will give our team good variety and hopefully provide a few more options with set plays.

We than need to make decisions to cut some dead wood to accommodate both hookers in our 17. I'm hoping we have a couple of young centres step up in 2019 who will replace Aitken and Lafai giving us a bit of cap space to play with; Lomax being one of them and maybe Pearson moving to left centre if ISP does not deliver the other. Remember Widdop will be moving on (850k) and there is the JDB situation (550k) plus the Aitken (350k) and Lafai (450k) which all together would free up a considerable amount of cap space. The young juniors coming in to replace these players would take up much less cap space.

The above salaries are my best guess only however, I believe they are close to the mark.

I'm sure Millwood has this all in hand and won't stuff things up; we can't afford to lose Lomax and Robson.

Last edited:

Latest posts